31" BvS DoJ Batfleck Repaint!

Mr Mold Maker

Master Member
Hey folks, I picked up the 31 inch Batman figure from Jakks Pacific "Big-Figs" line and have done some modifications to the figure.

Thought I'd share them here and write up a little bit on what I did. Again, this is the 31 INCH figure. They also sell a 20 inch figure under their big figs line, so I didn't want any confusion!

Last edited:
So here is the figure as it comes straight from the factory. I picked mine up at Toy's R Us for about $35 I believe.

The sculpture is very nice. It really looks like Ben under there, and the cowl is spot on. The only things I'm not super happy with: how high the belt sits, and the fact the figure is "pigeon toed." Other than those two tiiiiiiny gripes, this is an amazing piece. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who is a fan of this Batsuit, or Batman fans in general.

The cape is just thin nylon, but that will be replaced so it didn't particularly concern me. You could buy this figure and put a respectable cape on it only, and have an amazing figure.

12743593_1034094136633047_5410372598256544248_n.jpg12705547_1034094093299718_4364884235437485124_n.jpg

Here are the finished pictures! I'll have to apologize in advance.. I am NOT a photographer but I've done the best I can. White balance, exposure, composition.. It all goes over my head sadly, so I've chosen a broad range of images to hopefully get the point across.

First off, I'd like to give a shout out to @horrorfx for uploading this amazing tutorial video. It was great to follow along with for my beginning steps, as well as cutting the cape.
The video can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9z-NOCst-Q

I began by doing a dark wash with black oil paints. This alone really makes the figure shine, (both figuratively and literally for some reason!)
I then proceeded to apply silver paint around the bumps on the figure. There is actually no silver on the suit, but it was a good way to get the "look."
You can see what a huge difference that makes in this photo here.

image.jpeg

I did this technique across the whole body.... and I ended up with the Silver Surfer! :lol

The next step was to carefully dry brush all the raised bumps black. Once this was done, it was on to airbrushing the body as well as repainting the flesh tone on the face.. I left the eyes alone, simply because I know I can't hand paint something so small without completely messing it up.

So flesh tones were carefully added to the face, and then I used some thinned black in an airbrush to weather and shade the suit. I hit areas that were a little too clean or shiny, and shaded around certain muscles.

Then came the cape! I am not in love with the pleather I used as it just doesn't fold or sit how I'd like. May be redoing that in the future. My advice is watch Chris's video as its the same process I used. He just looks a lot better doing it. :lol

So, without further ado, here is the Batfleck!!!

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:
31" BvS DoJ Batfleck Repaint!

Picked up the 18" version of this today. Going to custom paint it as well! Nice work on the 31" Batfleck! Awesome paint and love the cape!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Amazing transformation they don't even look like the same figure, it's a real good illustration of how a great paint job changes a piece, and your paint job really cracked it , brilliant

Picked up the 18" version of this today. Going to custom paint it as well! Nice work on the 31" Batfleck! Awesome paint and love the cape!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks very much!
If you need any help or tips feel free to shoot me a PM!

Amazing transformation they don't even look like the same figure, it's a real good illustration of how a great paint job changes a piece, and your paint job really cracked it , brilliant

Thank you very much, I truly appreciate it man!

I had a few questions about the silver I used, so I figured I'd post it here for everyone.

image.jpeg

Yep. That's it. $1.50 at Walmart.

It comes out of the container as a sort of metallic grey, but believe me, it dries into a beautiful silver.
I can't recommend it enough if you're repainting the batsuit. It really plays a huge part in faking the "shine!"

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back