another SW ANH resto project (Team Negative 1)

nwjedidave

Sr Member
http://www.polygon.com/2016/2/17/11039918/star-wars-restored-35-mm

I'm not very knowledgeable about the various original SW restos but came across this a few minutes ago.

Now if I can get this burned onto a DVD!

Despite George Lucas' best attempts to keep the original Star Wars print out of the public's hands, a group of dedicated fans have thwarted him.
Team Negative 1, the team behind the project, spent years and thousands of dollars working to make a high-def version of the original 35 mm print, according to Movie Web. The group quietly released their restored version on different message boards last month.

This isn't the first time that a group has pooled their efforts to recreate the original film as it was meant to be seen before Lucas made his infamous edits (including having Greedo shoot at Han first). The main difference between those previous recreations and Team Negative 1's is the quality of print they had to work with. For the first time, they had a fully intact version of the film to work with instead of having to piece together different segments from the original print, essentially scanning the print to make the HD version.
Lucas, who has vocally stated time and time again that he was against releasing the original version of the 1977 film, made changes to the movie shortly after it was released. When it was rereleased in theaters under the name Star Wars: A New Hope, Lucas said that was the only version of the film he wanted people to see, calling the 1977 film half-finished.
Still, fans have demanded that Lucas release the original for decades pointing out what they considered terrible editing decisions with the special effects and sequence of events in the newer version.
Ever since the prequel trilogy came to an end in 2005, Lucas has stepped away from the franchise. Although he applauded J.J. Abrams and the team on the success of The Force Awakens, he vowed to reporters that the only movies he was going to make would be seen by just his family.
Team Negative 1's version of the film is currently available to watch online if you're inclined to search it out.

I had a look at this version and found the colors to be very accurate and not so 'out there'. All though, the picture quality is grainy in some places and not very sharp, but that's expected from a 35mm print. And that the file size is 22Gig. But overall, they've done quite an impressive job. :D

It's one of the sources for Harmy's Despecialized, isn't it?

Yeah, apparently he's working on an ANH Despecialized 3.0 that's going to have much more accurate colors than v2.5. He's also working on a new version of ESB so between his 2 upcoming releases and the Technicolor print from Team Negative 1 it's a good time to be a SW "purist". :cool

Nah, they've just been hammered by extra traffic since the news broke today. Refresh the page a couple times and it'll come up.

They're working on a new v2.0 from a Technicolor print and if you think the first version was impressive wait 'til you see this:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/162295

I assume the darker image here is their 'before' and the lighter frame their new version?

I dunno, I prefer the darker. The other frame seems overly sharpened and brightened, detail is disappearing from the troopers. The darker image looks more natural like an on-set photograph, perhaps somewhere between these two would be better.

Don't hold your breath on this stuff surviving all that long, to be honest. Harmy has managed to largely fly below the radar, but when something like this makes widespread news, it may not be long for this world.

Yup, just read that and was getting ready to post it here. Looks like that beautiful Technicolor print is never going to see the light of day. :cry

I took that more as a 'we're disbanding as far as you know' type thing. They didn't want the attention. They still have all the resources they did before - they're just going to keep it to themselves. No more bringing the public along for the ride - a version will just appear on the web somewhere down the road.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back