Disney Star Wars Launch Bay models

Dedalus5550

Sr Member
So I've read that all these models are replicas. And I didn't really get there until today. Really, the first and only other time I got there was a week or so ago with the kids, and all I could do was walk through really quickly (I know, I live 15 minutes away--what a bad sci-fi fan I am). Anyway, by myself today with time to look. The (regular) TIE is larger than I thought it would be, so is it the right size? And the Millennium Falcon looks half way between a 32-incher and a 5-footer as far as size goes. I feel positive about this, so if I'm wrong, I'll feel really stupid. Anyone know how big it is? And if it is indeed halfway between in size, how close are the details? I'm interested in where all those details came from if the overall size is too big or too small to use the original greeblies from a 32-inch or 5-foot model. Based on the answer, this post may not even belong here, so sorry if that's an issue.

I just saw a Rebel Blockade Runner (two of them, in fact) in the attack scene of the new Rogue One TV spot. The engine lights look very much like the ones in the model that's on display in the Star Wars Launch Bay at Disneyland. With the original studio miniature remaining in the possession of George Lucas, I wonder if the team at ILM had access to it for reference when creating the digital "stand in" for Rogue One. If not, could they have used the Disneyland model as reference?

Attachments

• DisneylandBRengines.jpg
    DisneylandBRengines.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 257
  • RogueOneTVspot.png
    RogueOneTVspot.png
    1 MB · Views: 297
I just saw a Rebel Blockade Runner (two of them, in fact) in the attack scene of the new Rogue One TV spot. The engine lights look very much like the ones in the model that's on display in the Star Wars Launch Bay at Disneyland. With the original studio miniature remaining in the possession of George Lucas, I wonder if the team at ILM had access to it for reference when creating the digital "stand in" for Rogue One. If not, could they have used the Disneyland model as reference?

The apprentice has become the master :lol

I know ILM still has access to the archives, plus they have a good archive themselves.

Perhaps. If the original model was still there, that would have been all they needed. On the other hand, if it was out on display somewhere, I'm not sure the archive would have been that helpful. They don't seem to have good, clear photo documentation on what it looked like during ANH prior to the changes that were done for Jedi. I say this because when the model was later "restored" to its original configuration, some of "restored" details ended up being scratch-built "stand ins" for the original parts. This tells me they either didn't have sufficient reference in their archive to figure out what was there originally, or they just had no idea what those parts were.

It's also in the upper left corner of one of the high, wide shots of the tarmac area outside the Massassi Temple scene. Cropped, but there.

Gene

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back