Steve Trevor costume help

Thought I'd post an update. I cannot find a fishermen sweater in the right color and pattern - or price I would pay. Everything I've seen is cable knit, expensive, and usually white (Trevors is off white/cream in ribbed knit). I wondered if a womans sweater would differ that much than a mans, so I started searching for womens 2XL And 3XL ( I wear a mens XL). Found both in a mottled tan. The 2X is a little tight; 3X is perfect. I don't see much difference in cut from a mans, but I have big shoulders so if the womens sweater is cut large in the chest it all works out. Also the second-hand prices for womens seem to be much lower than for mens, and more easily available.

I decided to go with cotton 'jogging' pants, because they are tapered at the ankles and hopefully will be easier to wrap puttees around. These seem easy to find, new or used. Only drawback is most have no belt loops, but the sweater should cover the waist band anyway.

I've seen both original and reproduction puttees, interestingly both about the same price.

Double-pronged leather belts are available as military surplus. Most seem to be from Europe, so shipping can sometimes cost more than the belt. There are fashion belts that could possibly work, but I wonder about the durability and strength to carry a holster.

Will order a toy pistol, repaint, and I can borrow a holster.

Leather vest/jacket I'm still not sure about. It's something of a mystery. From the 'campfire' scene in the movie, it has sleeves, but they look like a different material or color. Why he's wearing a leather jacket under an overcoat I don't know. In any case that would be far too hot for costume use, I found a similar vest in cotton I think will work, it's dark grey, not brown, but finding anything in that style is more difficult that I expected. Still looking for something better.

The outer coat, I believe, is a mashup of various styles, roughly based on the 'barnstormer' style (usually leather), but for Trevor in fabric with a removable mutton collar. I found a good copy of the coat, but it's tan khaki. Thought I would dye it, but after some research it sounds like dying a cotton coat with a polyester liner and unknown thread is just asking for trouble. So, I found a coat in the correct color but with wrong lapels, pocket flaps, etc. I thought it would be better to try and cut and re-sew a correct color coat rather than attempting to dye. There are a lot of real- and faux-mutton collars out there, but most in white. I'm still looking for the correct tan/brown.

If anyone's interested I'll post another update further along. Any questions welcome!

I also have some information about Steve's clothes.

The bow tie that Steve wears is actually a 1941 pattern flying suit of the Royal Air Force. One has simply sewn a breast pocket on it and enlarged the fur collar.
The pullover also comes from the RAF, as well as from the Royal Navy from the same time.
The leather vest comes from the British Army from the First World War, but was still worn in the 2nd. That's right, Leather Jerkin. Was single-row, but in the movie you had 2 rows made of it.
The shoes and leggings are also from the British Army from the 1st World War.
The gray green jacket with fur is a US jacket from the 2nd World War, which has been slightly adapted and received a fur collar.

My jacket gets a bigger collar, but otherwise the uniform is ready.

23634522_10214286046646875_2098617673_n.jpg

Now my selfmade M97 Pumpgun made of EVA; PVC and Cibatool.
23737926_1607307575988498_4936613529368372303_o.jpg

Spitfire0 Well done! Love your shotgun and its "con friendly"!!! Let me know if you have any tips or just want to make another. Ive been looking for a con safe version of the M97 shotgun. Again, you look great!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back