Subscribe
  1. HJones is offline HJones
    Feb 10, 2016, 6:25 AM - Steve Trevor costume help #1

I'm attempting to put together a Steve Trevor costume from the upcoming Wonder Woman solo film, and i've been having trouble identifying the jacket he seems to be wearing. I'd assumed it was some kind of flight coat/jacket from the US in WW1 but haven't had much luck, any ideas?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CVLObFjWUAA6wr3.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	589647.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	589646
    From
    vancouver, BC, Canada
    Jul 24, 2016, 3:34 PM - Re: Steve Trevor costume help #2

I hate when lots of people read posts without answering. So, here it is-I am planning Steve as well, but don't know what the coat is yet. It is probably camel hair, three-quarter, with detatchable lamb's wool collar, but that's all I have so far. The leather underneath is a vest. I'll let you know what else I find.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chris-Pine-on-Set-of-Wonder-Woman.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	300.9 KB 
ID:	647494
    From
    vancouver, BC, Canada
    Jul 26, 2016, 7:31 AM - Re: Steve Trevor costume help #3

The cap is a navy blue "baker boy" flat cap.
  4. Member Since
    Aug 2016
    Jun 12, 2017, 12:47 PM - Re: Steve Trevor costume help #4

I'm starting this today. Going to search Amazon and eBay to see if I can find some of the pieces. I'll probably head to the local army surplus store later this week and see what they have. I plan on using this image as a reference. Odds are I'll have to find a similar jacket and add the fur collar.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wonder-Woman-Steve-Trevor-costume2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	894.0 KB 
ID:	735831
    From
    Walnut, CA
    Jun 12, 2017, 1:14 PM - Re: Steve Trevor costume help #5

I'd try expanding your search to both French and German flight jackets because it's shown that Steve had served with the Lafayette Escadrille, a French fighter squadron composed of (mostly) American pilots before America formally entered the war. So it's possible that the jacket is of French design since he likely would have worn French uniforms and flying gear during his time with the Lafayette.

As for the German idea, it could be a left over from when he infiltrated the Germans and stole the Eindecker, although I think he was wearing just a regular uniform when he did that. Still, it's possible that he wore the jacket then which would make it German,

I'd also look into civilian jackets of the time, it looks like it could be either a fisherman's coat or some sort of mountain climber/Alpine coat. Going by that last pic, he is wearing civilian clothing so it would stand to reason that the coat is also civilian in origin, esp. since there's no markings or badges to indicate that it's military.
    From
    Walnut, CA
    Jun 12, 2017, 1:33 PM - Re: Steve Trevor costume help #6

Doing a little more research I'm pretty sure that it's not a flight jacket of any sort, reason being is that it's too long. Flight jackets are almost cut short, ending above the hips, to make it easier for the wearer to sit while wearing. What I think it might be is a modified version of something called a duffel jacket, however, every example of dufflel jacket that I've seen so far has a hood, which Steve's does not. Failing finding an exact match, you could but one that's close and either cut off the hood and add your own collar or mod the hood into a collar.

Edit: I just found this: https://www.filmsjackets.com/steve-trevor-coat Hope that helps.
  7. Member Since
    Aug 2016
    Jun 12, 2017, 3:16 PM - Re: Steve Trevor costume help #7

Dude, great find. Thanks!
    From
    Newcastle, Australia
    Jun 13, 2017, 12:08 AM - Re: Steve Trevor costume help #8

Riceball said: View Post
    Doing a little more research I'm pretty sure that it's not a flight jacket of any sort, reason being is that it's too long. Flight jackets are almost cut short, ending above the hips, to make it easier for the wearer to sit while wearing. What I think it might be is a modified version of something called a duffel jacket, however, every example of dufflel jacket that I've seen so far has a hood, which Steve's does not. Failing finding an exact match, you could but one that's close and either cut off the hood and add your own collar or mod the hood into a collar.

Edit: I just found this: https://www.filmsjackets.com/steve-trevor-coat Hope that helps.
    Good find, WWI flying jackets were often longer than the more familiar WWII and later variants so it may still be supposed to represent flying clothing.
    From
    Newcastle, Australia
    Jun 13, 2017, 12:15 AM - Re: Steve Trevor costume help #9

I'm looking to recreate the wristwatch, I'd never seen a pocket watch used on a wristband but I found a period example once I started the research. I've been unable to identify the brand of watch yet.
  10. Member Since
    Aug 2016
    Jun 14, 2017, 4:05 PM - Re: Steve Trevor costume help #10

I found this sweater, which is close-ish

http://www.blair.com/p/john-blair-dr...ter/114274.uts#
    Jun 16, 2017, 6:35 PM - Re: Steve Trevor costume help #11

Never mind, I thought I was on to something, but I'm way off base.

I thought the courier pocket was on the jacket, but he appears to be wearing the jacket under fliers coveralls.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1449830888-1981-2015-1211-5.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	246.9 KB 
ID:	736866   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wonder-woman-chris-pine-photo-996146.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	334.0 KB 
ID:	736867  
    Last edited by Axlotl; Jun 16, 2017 at 6:44 PM.
  12. Member Since
    Apr 2011
    1 Week Ago  Jul 9, 2017, 9:29 AM - Re: Steve Trevor costume help #12

Have you been able to locate a picture of the wrist watch? Id like to see if I can find, locate or have one created somehow.

As well, has anyone located a good picture of the vest or thoughts on what to look for? My wife is doing Wonder Woman so I thought this would be a good compliment to her...
  13. Member Since
    Jul 2017
    1 Week Ago  Jul 11, 2017, 1:04 PM - Re: Steve Trevor costume help #13

Hello all! I'm a new member. Just started working on this costume, also. I have some background in mens clothing of that era, and I'm not aware of anything exactly like the movie jacket (talking about the trench/fighting/turtleneck costume). IMO the jacket is a short trenchcoat or overcoat with the studio addition of the fur collar. The backstory is probably that Steve owned this before the war. A pilot jacket would be fur lined in the body also, not just the collar. Most jackets of that time that featured a similar collar were more ornate, often with the fur extending onto the lapels, knee-length, and designed more for fashion, not utility. The costume collar is big and wide, correct for a pilot, but not the jacket. Riceball is correct that is might be a duffle jacket with the hood removed. Definitely some studio tailoring done for that jacket.

The watchband Steve wears was created during WWI as a way to keep your pocketwatch handy and not be distracted while fiddling around reaching into your pocket and opening a watch cover. Reproduction cases can be found on auction sites under 'trench watch' or 'pocket watch band', but be certain the case matches the size of your watch.

The vest is what was known as a 'motorcycle', driving or courier vest - dark brown leather, usually double breasted, sometimes with two small waist pockets. It was basically early fall protection. It is probably not notched at the hem, but has a straight cut bottom, particularly as the period vests were longer, jacket length, and Steves may have been cut shorter.

Finding a current version of the sweater is a challenge. That style was common among fishermen from the late 1800's - 1920's, but the style is long gone. I've seen commercial repros advertised, may be the only choice unless you're very lucky and come across something. I'm thinking of settling on a turtleneck although that's not the correct look.

Steves 'city' costume (fighting in the alley) would be fun to assemble, but I don't know if anyone would recognize that as Steve Trevor or just some guy in a vintage suit and hat.
    1 Week Ago  Jul 15, 2017, 6:46 PM - Re: Steve Trevor costume help #14

Finding the Submariner sweater Steve wears is tough, but What Price Glory makes a replica for a decent price. I've purchased stuff from them before and know the owner. They do amazing work. This will probably be the sweater I get.

https://onlinemilitaria.net/products...arine-sweater/

- - - Updated - - -

Also for Steve's shotgun:

https://www.amazon.com/BBTac-Airsoft...t+pump+shotgun

- - - Updated - - -

The coat and the vest are proving to be the hardest part of this as they are probably custom made for the movie. The coat by filmjackets is ok, but not quite what I'm looking for. Anybody have any further ideas?
    From
    Lincoln, RI
    5 Days Ago  Jul 17, 2017, 1:13 PM - Re: Steve Trevor costume help #15

Flayrith, I wouldn't mind tackling the Steve city suit if you think you can point me in the right direction, would be awesome.