Steve Trevor costume help

HJones

I'm attempting to put together a Steve Trevor costume from the upcoming Wonder Woman solo film, and i've been having trouble identifying the jacket he seems to be wearing. I'd assumed it was some kind of flight coat/jacket from the US in WW1 but haven't had much luck, any ideas?
CVLObFjWUAA6wr3.jpg.download.jpg

I hate when lots of people read posts without answering. So, here it is-I am planning Steve as well, but don't know what the coat is yet. It is probably camel hair, three-quarter, with detatchable lamb's wool collar, but that's all I have so far. The leather underneath is a vest. I'll let you know what else I find.Chris-Pine-on-Set-of-Wonder-Woman.jpg

I'm starting this today. Going to search Amazon and eBay to see if I can find some of the pieces. I'll probably head to the local army surplus store later this week and see what they have. I plan on using this image as a reference. Odds are I'll have to find a similar jacket and add the fur collar.
Wonder-Woman-Steve-Trevor-costume2.jpg

I'd try expanding your search to both French and German flight jackets because it's shown that Steve had served with the Lafayette Escadrille, a French fighter squadron composed of (mostly) American pilots before America formally entered the war. So it's possible that the jacket is of French design since he likely would have worn French uniforms and flying gear during his time with the Lafayette.

As for the German idea, it could be a left over from when he infiltrated the Germans and stole the Eindecker, although I think he was wearing just a regular uniform when he did that. Still, it's possible that he wore the jacket then which would make it German,

I'd also look into civilian jackets of the time, it looks like it could be either a fisherman's coat or some sort of mountain climber/Alpine coat. Going by that last pic, he is wearing civilian clothing so it would stand to reason that the coat is also civilian in origin, esp. since there's no markings or badges to indicate that it's military.

Doing a little more research I'm pretty sure that it's not a flight jacket of any sort, reason being is that it's too long. Flight jackets are almost cut short, ending above the hips, to make it easier for the wearer to sit while wearing. What I think it might be is a modified version of something called a duffel jacket, however, every example of dufflel jacket that I've seen so far has a hood, which Steve's does not. Failing finding an exact match, you could but one that's close and either cut off the hood and add your own collar or mod the hood into a collar.

Edit: I just found this: https://www.filmsjackets.com/steve-trevor-coat Hope that helps.

Doing a little more research I'm pretty sure that it's not a flight jacket of any sort, reason being is that it's too long. Flight jackets are almost cut short, ending above the hips, to make it easier for the wearer to sit while wearing. What I think it might be is a modified version of something called a duffel jacket, however, every example of dufflel jacket that I've seen so far has a hood, which Steve's does not. Failing finding an exact match, you could but one that's close and either cut off the hood and add your own collar or mod the hood into a collar.

Edit: I just found this: https://www.filmsjackets.com/steve-trevor-coat Hope that helps.

Good find, WWI flying jackets were often longer than the more familiar WWII and later variants so it may still be supposed to represent flying clothing.

I'm looking to recreate the wristwatch, I'd never seen a pocket watch used on a wristband but I found a period example once I started the research. I've been unable to identify the brand of watch yet.

Never mind, I thought I was on to something, but I'm way off base.

I thought the courier pocket was on the jacket, but he appears to be wearing the jacket under fliers coveralls.

Attachments

• 1449830888-1981-2015-1211-5.jpg
    1449830888-1981-2015-1211-5.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 315
  • wonder-woman-chris-pine-photo-996146.jpg
    wonder-woman-chris-pine-photo-996146.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 923
Last edited:
Have you been able to locate a picture of the wrist watch? Id like to see if I can find, locate or have one created somehow.

As well, has anyone located a good picture of the vest or thoughts on what to look for? My wife is doing Wonder Woman so I thought this would be a good compliment to her...

Hello all! I'm a new member. Just started working on this costume, also. I have some background in mens clothing of that era, and I'm not aware of anything exactly like the movie jacket (talking about the trench/fighting/turtleneck costume). IMO the jacket is a short trenchcoat or overcoat with the studio addition of the fur collar. The backstory is probably that Steve owned this before the war. A pilot jacket would be fur lined in the body also, not just the collar. Most jackets of that time that featured a similar collar were more ornate, often with the fur extending onto the lapels, knee-length, and designed more for fashion, not utility. The costume collar is big and wide, correct for a pilot, but not the jacket. Riceball is correct that is might be a duffle jacket with the hood removed. Definitely some studio tailoring done for that jacket.

The watchband Steve wears was created during WWI as a way to keep your pocketwatch handy and not be distracted while fiddling around reaching into your pocket and opening a watch cover. Reproduction cases can be found on auction sites under 'trench watch' or 'pocket watch band', but be certain the case matches the size of your watch.

The vest is what was known as a 'motorcycle', driving or courier vest - dark brown leather, usually double breasted, sometimes with two small waist pockets. It was basically early fall protection. It is probably not notched at the hem, but has a straight cut bottom, particularly as the period vests were longer, jacket length, and Steves may have been cut shorter.

Finding a current version of the sweater is a challenge. That style was common among fishermen from the late 1800's - 1920's, but the style is long gone. I've seen commercial repros advertised, may be the only choice unless you're very lucky and come across something. I'm thinking of settling on a turtleneck although that's not the correct look.

Steves 'city' costume (fighting in the alley) would be fun to assemble, but I don't know if anyone would recognize that as Steve Trevor or just some guy in a vintage suit and hat.

Finding the Submariner sweater Steve wears is tough, but What Price Glory makes a replica for a decent price. I've purchased stuff from them before and know the owner. They do amazing work. This will probably be the sweater I get.

https://onlinemilitaria.net/products/1005-UK-RAF-Submarine-sweater/

- - - Updated - - -

Also for Steve's shotgun:

https://www.amazon.com/BBTac-Airsof...00161162&sr=8-2&keywords=airsoft+pump+shotgun

- - - Updated - - -

The coat and the vest are proving to be the hardest part of this as they are probably custom made for the movie. The coat by filmjackets is ok, but not quite what I'm looking for. Anybody have any further ideas?

Flayrith, I wouldn't mind tackling the Steve city suit if you think you can point me in the right direction, would be awesome.

Gambitrunner, nice find, that's probably the sweater the costume is modeled on (if not the actual sweater). There are comments about it being hot, though, so with three layers in Steves costume I don't know how comfortable that would be for summer and fall. I've been looking for a sweater in cotton or blend, but haven't come up with anything yet.
For the vest, I saw the movie again and caught something I had missed - it's NOT a vest, but something with sleeves. When the five hero characters are at a campsite at night in the forest, just before they go to the Front, Steve takes off his outer jacket and puts it over Diana (which is odd, as what happened to her big cloak?). For a couple of scenes you can see the sleeves under/attached to the vest - but they appear to be a different color and possibly cloth, not leather. I have no idea what this can be. It's not ANOTHER layer, because when he has the vest unbuttoned all that can be seen is the sweater underneath, no brown cloth undershirt that would explain the arms. I know of nothing that's a leather torso/vest with fabric arms, maybe it's just a leather jacket and the color difference was due to lighting. I will probably just wear a vest and not be concerned about it.

Mark K64, are you thinking of constructing the suit - tailoring it - or trying to put one together from existing pieces? If you are trying to find existing pieces, I think the best option would be at a costuming/theatrical store as there hasn't been anything like that 1900's style in 40 or more years (there was a brief nostalgic period in the 1970's where the style was similar, but the fabric would probably be '70's mod rather than 1900's wool). Of course it depends on how accurate you want to be - this suit was only seen for a few moments, so most people probably didn't pay much attention. I'm interested in hearing what you come up with.

Last edited:
Yea, I'm going to start hitting some thrift stores and try to get as close as I can. I'll keep you updated. Any ideas for the hat?

MarkK64 it's a snap brim fedora with appx 2 1/2" brim, pinch or teardrop crown at about 4 1/2" tall and 2 inch or so ribbon, in grey or possibly olive. Not very popular today, but olive green was a trendy hat color in the 1910's - early 30's. Original and movie version would be made of fur - usually beaver - but wool felt is fine for costuming (and a LOT less expensive). Years ago I found a similar hat, in olive, made of felt and I wore it every day - until I was caught in the rain and within a few minutes it became a shapeless mess.
The exact dimensions should be adjusted to fit with your overall face and body type, but make certain it's a fedora (not a brand name, a style), and nothing with a small brim, center crease, etc. Hat for the trench costume - jacket, sweater, etc - is an 8 panel newsboy or Gatsby cap. Looking forward to seeing what you find!

Last edited:
Mark K64, thanks for the update. I don't have any specific ideas, over time the two main things that have changed on mens suits are size of lapel (generally larger in the past) and the shape - from trim, to baggy, to trim, to baggy, etc. Trevors suit would be more toward trim fit, which is where fashion is now, but current suits have narrow lapels that would be much wider in the 19-teens. Also note his shirt collar has rounded ends, not pointed like virtually all mens shirts are now. They are hard to find but not impossible, usually called a 'bankers collar' or 'club collar'. Just some time and dedicated searching I think you'll come up with what you need. It will be a lot easier to put together Steves suit than it will for anyone to costume Dianas grey suit, or any womens clothes from that time.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back