Star Wars Books - Publication slowing down?

KrangPrime

Master Member
is it just me, or are there not as many NEW cannon star wars books coming out as there used to be?

I was checking the upcoming schedule on the force.net and it looks like there is only one novel coming out in 2016.
and I think there where only two last year.

Are they afraid of stepping on the new movies toes?

I don't know about cannon books but as far as canon books are concerned, they're not that far into the new canon yet so it would be only natural that they'd want to take things slow. Besides, the old EU had been around for quite a while so that may be throwing things off an making it seem like they're publishing new novels a lot slower than before. Regardless, I don't think that taking their time in releasing books is necessarily a bad thing, the last thing they need to do is flood the new EU with a ton of crappy novels just so they can put books on the shelves, it would be far smarter move to take their time and more carefully plan out how they want to do the new EU.

Multiple outlets. Add together "adult" novels, "younger readers" books (stupid divisions -- I would've read Tarkin or Dark Disciple in second grade, and I read the kids' books now), the multiple ongoing and limited comic series, etc., and there's been a lot of new content in not quite two years. Look to what's in the offing for first quarter 2017, and back at 4th quarter 2015. Even with only one "adult" novel this calendar year, it all averages out.

...And it's a durn sight better than the one "adult" novel, one comic series, half a dozen lighter-fare books, and smattering of other tie-in media we got from 1977 to 1990 inclusive -- before Heir to the Empire gave things a shot of adrenaline.

--Jonah

Regardless, I don't think that taking their time in releasing books is necessarily a bad thing, the last thing they need to do is flood the new EU with a ton of crappy novels just so they can put books on the shelves, it would be far smarter move to take their time and more carefully plan out how they want to do the new EU.

I haven't heard of anyone saying that the new stuff is all that great. It also sounds like, at least so far, they are not using any of the good old EU authors (like Zahn). The few friends that I know have read all of the new books said that the new authors don't feel like they really get SW. I read the Aftermath excerpts and that was enough for me not to buy that one.

i'm trying to get through aftermath now. I wasn't going to read it based on reviews, but i'm so caught up now, i figured why not.

it's tough. it jumps around alot. it shifts person perspective.....and that's just the first four chapters.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back