Sith Obi-Wan Concept (was Kylo Ren) WIP (Pic Heavy)

Re: Kylo Ren WIP (Pic Heavy)

Hey, I finally finished my neck gorget.. It turned out great! Your duct tape pattern idea was invaluable. I even got mine to seal high enough to be able to go without a balaclava... Now onto the pleated tunic... I have a few questions about 501st interpretation. If I pipe the side seams, how do I sew them together? Are there shoulder seams and are they piped? is there a back seam and is it piped? Thanks for the help.
  • All edges of the under tunic are piped with the exception of the bottom edge.
    • The side seams of the under tunic are also piped.
  • The under tunic is constructed with one split at the front starting at the belt and has a piped seam line on the left and right sides and piping on the edges of the lower panels and arm holes.

Awesome, happy it helped!

On the sides, I have a post from end of March (I think) that covers a double-bound seam. So, that should help with how to do the sides. Shoulders, no. Back seam, there is one, but it's not bound.

Let me also just have a moment. The 501st is good at finding reference but, generally, knows nothing about garment construction. There is a difference between piping and binding.

Piping is a bias-cut strip of fabric that can be wrapped around a piece of cord. This is then sewn into the the seam of the finished garment by sandwiching into the two pieces when they are sewn right-sides-together. When finished, you turn the pieces out and press them and have a piped edge (like on an armchair or sofa cushion). This is not a good solution for heavy, multiple layers of fabric and it creates a huge amount of bulk and doesn't lay well.

Binding is putting the garment layers wrong-side-together (as they will be when finished), basting them and then trimming the edges and wrapping them with a strip of bias-cut fabric. The basted garment has the pre-pressed bias tape applied to one side, folded over and stitched to the other, thereby encasing the raw edge in a nice, tidy strip of fabric. This can be done front to back (if you want to stitch in the ditch and hide the stitching on the front) or back to front (if you want to bring the bias edge to the front and have top-stitch detail).

Hope that helps, cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Kylo Ren WIP (Pic Heavy)

Uh-oh...just noticed you are as close as Atlanta, Ga. You may be seeing me soon!!!

Uh-oh, indeed! Don't make me call out this guy on you. Haha!

IMG_0564.PNG

Had the pleasure of seeing SMP Designs studio this past weekend. Got to see the Sith Obi-Wan suit as it stands, and boy, oh boy, it was gorgeous! Cannot wait to suit up! Stay tuned to this thread guys/gals, it's gonna be epic!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back