Kylo Ren 3D Print Saber Mod

Webberley

I picked up the Ren Saber kit from 3DCreationsPR on etsy. Arrived a few days ago and I've been tinkering with it since. I wanted a good solid hero prop to go with my other key sabers. This seemed to be the best way until we get some high end metal replication down the road. I primed, filled and sanded each piece of the kit separately and then used a matte black coat as the base. I coated the pieces in metallic plumbers tape. After that I sprayed it again with a matte black and sanded the surface to bring out the details. The end cap I gave an extra layer of red and the side emitters a light metallic blue coat. I went back in with the matte black again to subdue the harsher weathering slightly. After that I assembled the kit and filled the inside with epoxy, nuts and bolts to give the hilt the appropriate heft. Finally I added the wires and weathered them slightly. The end product if a good weight in hand and cool to the touch. I wouldn't mind going in with some acrylics and adding some browns and rust effects to some parts but as it is now I believe I will hold off on that.

Pictured with my Hasbro Saber, the original fan print and my canon saber collection.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

It's pretty good. It's not flaking if that would be a concern. It'll wear down fairly naturally. I might give it a gloss coat to better match the film but I'll see how I feel about that.

Can you explain more about how you "coated the pieces in metallic plumbers tape." Wouldn't covering it hide all the internal parts? Do you happen to have any progress pics?

Can you explain more about how you "coated the pieces in metallic plumbers tape." Wouldn't covering it hide all the internal parts? Do you happen to have any progress pics?

Wow, sorry I didn't reply sooner. Forgot I post this. I don't have any progress pictures sorry. The process is literally as I described. I covered the areas that needed to look metal in the tape and smoothed it down/cut to fit to the surface of the Saber. Admittedly it is a time consuming prospect and it took a while but the end result - after sanding and painting - is a convincingly metal feeling and looking piece. As I've compared it to the official released imagery fan pictures of the short lived propshop release, I'm very happy with this piece and have no desires to change it really.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back