My Lifesize 1:1 Kylo Ren

azheat01

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I decided I wanted a lifesize Kylo Ren to add to my theater room, but didn't want to break the bank. After looking at several outfit options (which included buying fabric and making one like some of my other lifesize figures) I decided on purchasing from XCoser, the new version. I was initially hesitant because I've never heard of them before (I don't generally buy pre-made costumes) but it looked decent enough in the photos. Since I didn't purchase from anyone else, I don't really have anything to compare this to. But I'm going to go out on a limb here and say there's absolutely no way you can go wrong with this set for $159.00. Unless you need it exactly screen accurate, this will do. It's impressive for the casual fan.

Mannequin just came in so I threw this together just to check everything out. I ordered a mannequin that was 6'3" to stay close to Adam Driver's original height. Here's some photos (disregard the paint samples on the walls, we're repainting..........my worst nightmare).

1.jpg

2.jpg

The package came with the under tunic, outer robe, gloves, scarf, and belt. Again, I was real pleased with the quality of everything except the gloves. Here's a close up of the outer robe and the scarf. The scarf is a heck of a lot longer than I expected, which was nice.

5.jpg

Even the buckle was real nice quality, leaps ahead of some of the others I saw.

3.jpg

When I ordered, I made sure I added a little more length to the sleeves and I asked them to make the robe and under tunic longer. They did a great job, length for the outer robe is exactly how I wanted. Just need to steam some of the creases out.

4.jpg

6.jpg

Sorry for the poor pictures, just wanted to get some photos up. A couple things:

- The material for the belt is pleather. Looks OK, not going to replace it just yet. But since the inner core of the material is white, I am going to stain the edges black.
- The helmet is a Black Series voice changer.
- The gloves are super cheap, so they'll need to be replaced.
- I purchased some costume boots, nothing fancy since they'll barely be seen.
- Pants are nothing more than $9.00 black cotton pants from Walmart. Again, won't really be seen.
- I'm going to alter the head some so the helmet sits lower.
- I'm going to alter the arms like some of my other mannequins, as well as alter his hands and fingers.

If anyone was on the fence about this particular set, you need not be worried in my opinion.

I'll post some more pics soon......

Last edited:
Couple more quick photos, here's the pants, super cheap, but they'll do. I'm going to add some straps to the costume boots.

image2.JPG

Pics of the under tunic.

image3.JPG

image4.JPG

I was able to get a few things done on this today. First, I wanted to modify the head since I'm not adding a full bust like I did with my Luke and Obi-Wan. Sometimes with these mannequins the necks are really long. So I modified the head until I was happy with how low the helmet sat. Since the helmet isn't really coming off, I don't care how the head looks underneath.

I also had a black balaclava from my riding days lying around and decided to throw that on. I've still gotta make a neck seal.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I also started modifying the hands by removing the fingers from the right hand and the thumb from the left hand. I was happy with the position of the thumb on the right hand and only need to modify the thumb on the left hand to hold the saber.

4.jpg

5.jpg

I modified the hands on my Stormtrooper and Jawa this way but changed it around some. I used the same wire but decided to try some plastic spacers. I used the spacers for all the fingers as well as at the knuckles to hold the wires in place. Despite screwing up the pinky, it worked fine. I used rubber nail covers again for the tips of the fingers. Since these fingers won't be moved, I decided not to waste my epoxy and just secured everything with hot glue. Then I posed the fingers, but still need to bulk them up a little.

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

I modified the right arm a little so I could get the pose of the arm raised. Then I did another test fitting.

34.JPG

23.JPG

345.JPG

Tomorrow I'll finish the left thumb so he can hold the saber. Overall I'm real pleased with how it's turning out. So glad I lowered the helmet. I still need new gloves and have to finish up some minor details and adjustments.

Last edited:
Thanks.....I think it'll look good in my theater room. I'm a purist and only wanted to have characters from the OT, but I broke down and decided I wanted to try a couple from the TFA!

Last edited:
Messed with the left hand today, now he can hold the saber. The saber is from the Disney store, thought about removing the blades for display but not sure yet. I have a couple of different ways for him to hold it.

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

I personally like it pointed down.

Last edited:
I was looking for alternatives to the gloves that came with this set. Since I'm not worrying about screen accuracy, I wasn't about to spend $50+. I swung by the motorcycle gear shop and saw these on sale for $18.00. Despite not being accurate, they felt kind of Star Wars like. I particularly liked the ribs on the back and the mesh in between is reminiscent of the robe fabric. Tested them out and I'll probably stick with them if I don't see anything else I like at a reasonable price.

glove1.jpg

glove2.jpg

I happened to be on eBay last week and noticed these gloves for about $5 more than what my motorcycle gloves cost. Considering they're more accurate than what I have now, and still a 3rd less than some of the high end ones out there. I thought they were priced reasonably at $23.00 and bought them.

IMG_1801.JPG

IMG_1799.JPG

Also moved him up to my theater room, just need to re-arrange some of these figures a little. Still need to dis-assemble the lightsaber and place the hilt in his left hand. Can't wait for jimmiroquai to get to me on his list.............he'll look good with a First Order stormie next to him!

IMG_1805.JPG

IMG_1804.JPG

Man that looks awesome and your set up is sweet. Really does look the part.

also, what is your vader build... make wise ?

Really awesome work :)

Man that looks awesome and your set up is sweet. Really does look the part.

also, what is your vader build... make wise ?

Really awesome work :)

Thank you!

For Vader, I am sorry to say this is an out of the box Rubies Supreme. I scored this new in the box a few years ago on eBay for a steal at less than $400. I really wanted a Vader for my room but wasn't in the position at the time to drop 4, 5, or 6 times that much. I figured I would slowly upgrade him, but haven't had the chance yet. I really have zero modifications in this. I figured in a low lit media room, it would be fine. This went straight from the box onto a mannequin and I think it looks great.

Last edited:
The carpet kinda break the illusion though.

Originally I was going to do the floor in a gray / black high gloss linoleum, or even paint it gloss black.........but had to consider comfort, sound reflection, and buyer appeal should we ever want to sell.

Thank you!

For Vader, I am sorry to say this is an out of the box Rubies Supreme. I scored this new in the box a few years ago on eBay for a steal at less than $400. I really wanted a Vader for my room but wasn't in the position at the time to drop 4, 5, or 6 times that much. I figured I would slowly upgrade him, but haven't had the chance yet. I really have zero modifications in this. I figured in a low lit media room, it would be fine. This went straight from the box onto a mannequin and I think it looks great.

Dont be sorry :) Looks awesome. rubies did pretty well with these and it looks excellent. Im glad you said that as it looks expensive. I really have no room but dam, im tempted to build one :)
Im also thinking about building a custom c3po bust but a little different and heavily damaged , Dangerous times lol

I'm finally getting around to redoing the audio on my figures. I tried finding some Kylo Ren audio clips, but they were difficult. I isolated these and tried to clean them up some. I don't have much experience in editing audio, so you can still hear the score in a few clips. Overall, I'm real pleased with how it sounds. It's pretty loud in person too, recorded it on the highest level I could.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back