The Ultimate Brian Muir Edition

I'm sure that this question has already been asked ad nauseum in other threads in the past before, but since I'm thinking about buying a Vader helmet as my next major purchase, can someone who is more versed in the minutia of Vader helmets and perhaps owns two (or possibly all three) of the helmets that I'm contemplating tell me which one is "the best" or whether it's all completely subjective.

The run-down of each as I understand it are:

1) eFX Legend Vader ANH - has direct lineage from the original molds apparently

2) Brian Muir Ultimate Edition - from the maker himself!! but an 'interpretation' that won't match anything that was ever seen on screen

3) The Quasimodo - each one handcrafted and hand painted

I also realize that there's a huge disparity in terms of cost between these three helmets and that's not necessarily a factor. I just don't want to pick one and have buyer's remorse because I "should have gotten one of the others..."

Can anyone speak to any of these who actually owns one (or more) of these helmets?

I'm sure that this question has already been asked ad nauseum in other threads in the past before, but since I'm thinking about buying a Vader helmet as my next major purchase, can someone who is more versed in the minutia of Vader helmets and perhaps owns two (or possibly all three) of the helmets that I'm contemplating tell me which one is "the best" or whether it's all completely subjective.

2) Brian Muir Ultimate Edition - from the maker himself!! but an 'interpretation' that won't match anything that was ever seen on screen

I also realize that there's a huge disparity in terms of cost between these three helmets and that's not necessarily a factor. I just don't want to pick one and have buyer's remorse because I "should have gotten one of the others..."

Can anyone speak to any of these who actually owns one (or more) of these helmets?

I can't speak for the Brian Muir, but having owned the EFX Limited (basically the Legend minus the brushed on paint) and seen the Quasi ANH and ESB up close, the latter wins it for me.

The EFX is a fine piece, but somehow looks like a made for display piece, but the Quasi has a real look of having been used for screen use. It's something that is really difficult to see on a computer screen, but seeing these helmets side by side in a comparison with the EFX the difference was staggering!

But I'm also sure the Muir is a superb piece also. (Just avoid the SDS)

Last edited:

The Brian Muir is the 1st Vader helm I've seen in person that felt lived in and looked like what I remember as a kid.
That said, the Quasimodo is very impressive in photos and the ESB version is on my list. I've heard nothing negative about the Quasi helms. Good reviews all around.

There have been a lot of questions about Mr. Muir's Ultimate Vader and I noticed he posted this at his site. This should answer any questions about the provenance and connections to his original ANH helm.

53172_orig.jpg

Thats awesome and glad to see he cleared it up a bit, now hopefully he does the same for the armor I wonder if they were from original molds as well.

There have been a lot of questions about Mr. Muir's Ultimate Vader and I noticed he posted this at his site. This should answer any questions about the provenance and connections to his original ANH helm.

View attachment 594349

I wonder if they were from original molds as well.
If I were a betting man (and I'm not) I would say this was an original sculpt and not from any original molds...IMO. But depending on what you consider to be original, this is the man who sculpted us Darth Vader after all , so this could be considered to be as original as they come!

Last edited:
Cool. I just sent them an email on Friday asking about the legacy of his helmet.

As for the finish on the dome, I'm simply going by this Tantive IV image.

hope_1.jpg muir.jpg

And really, the lighting of the Muir Vader on his website is not flattering. It's over lit. I prefer the simple directional (left source) light on Panaflex's photo. But still, the dome still seems really dull in that photo as well.

View attachment 594349

So according to this , this is a second generation casting helmet then?

Now, what about the armour then? Same deal?

I am more interested in getting the armour than the helmet. Is the armour he is selling from ROTJ as well? Was the ROTJ armour unchanged from ANH other than the paint scheme? I forget. I already have the eFX Legend version and I am quite happy with it and comes with Brain's signature as well.

Also, why didn't he just leave the helmet the way it was and sell it as a ROTJ helmet? Or, sell both versions by moulding the ROTJ helmet first, alter the cast to the ANH version and then mould it again?

Last edited:
Now, what about the armour then? Same deal?

I am more interested in getting the armour than the helmet. Is the armour he is selling from ROTJ as well? Was the ROTJ armour unchanged from ANH other than the paint scheme? I forget.
I believe the Armour was unchanged throughout the saga with the exception of the paintwork and a hook for Vader's Cape. The shoulder bells had varying positions also throughout various scenes from the movies.

I really think that if the Armour Brian is selling had direct lineage his site would be making a big deal of it, similar to the statement above for the helmet. Would be interesting to find out for certain though.

I believe the Armour was unchanged throughout the saga with the exception of the paintwork and a hook for Vader's Cape. The shoulder bells had varying positions also throughout various scenes from the movies.

I really think that if the Armour Brian is selling had direct lineage his site would be making a big deal of it, similar to the statement above for the helmet. Would be interesting to find out for certain though.

In what films did he have the hook for the cape?

It's very visible in ROTJ. Not sure if it was there for ESB, if it was you never see it. Wasn't there in ANH. Stopped the chain cutting into Prowse's neck.

The hook is there during ESB. It's visible in the beginning of ESB when Vader raises his head to pronounce: "That's it! The rebels are there!" when looking at the probe droid data screen and also visible during the catwalk battle with Luke in several scenes.

Last edited:
The hook is there during ESB. It's visible in the beginning of ESB when Vader raises his head to pronounce: "That's it! The rebels are there!" when looking at the probe droid data screen and also visible during the catwalk battle with Luke in several scenes.

Good to know. Thanks for that.:thumbsup

The armour from ESB to ROTJ must differ then, as the ESB hook (if it is there) is a Lot higher up the Armour as its nigh on impossible to see (almost under the Helmet), whereas the ROTJ is very clearly visible?

ESB
image.jpeg image.jpeg ROTJ

So where does the hook go from scene to scene? Does this confirm Empire had different Chest Armour variants?

I don't have time to show it all in the several scenes, but here's the "That's it!" scene. Go back and watch the film carefully and you will see it. It's not repaired damage, it's a cape hook. On the bluray, it's pretty clear during the catwalk duel scenes.

hookesb_zpsy6qhcras.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back