Rogue One - Jyn Erso BlasTech A180 Blaster Pistol

Re: Rogue One Felicity Jones gun - ideas

Here is an area I suspect I am deviating from the original design, but I am ok with that because:

1) It is completely internal (can't be seen from the outside) and
2) I believe this is a stronger/more durable method.

On the original prop, I suspect that the takedown lever was simply cut in half, the rifle guide inserted into the notch cut into the receiver, and a 14-16mm M3 screw put in from the right side to crush it all together. Instead of doing that, I just cut down the locked notch in the take-down lever so it doesn't interfere with the rifle guide, but still functions perfectly. I don't actually need a screw on the right side of the take-down lever at all, but will add one simply for aesthetic accuracy.

jyn-erso-base-pistol-a180-take-down-lever.jpg

jyn-erso-base-pistol-a180-take-down-lever-3.jpg

jyn-erso-base-pistol-a180-take-down-lever-2.jpg

jyn-erso-base-pistol-a180-take-down-lever-4.jpg

Tapped the right side of the take-down level for M3, threw on a quick placeholder washer (not correct) and gave it a try. Not bad. The washer needs to be much thicker and will need a contoured top-back edge to work with the curve of the pistol receiver... and this means I am 100% done until I receive my printed test-fit parts!

jyn-erso-base-pistol-a180-take-down-lever-5.JPG

I think you could MAKE it work, but it would likely take some additional effort on your part. The 6" barrel is definitely the right size for her blaster.

Bit the bullet and ordered another P08, this time the 6" version.

Thanks for WIP pictures, these are cool tutorial for modding the P08!

I wouldn't use an Artillery Luger b/c it doesn't have the rear sight. When you remove the rear sight, the Navy Luger has a particular shape to it, which the Artillery lacks.

Keep the 8" as is and pony up the $100 for the 6"- you wouldn't be able to live w/ the inaccuracy ;)

Looking great!!

I bought a 8" Luger with the extra sight back the days, when this was believed to be the correct version for Jyn's blaster...will this work as well or do I definately need the 6" version?

I wouldn't use an Artillery Luger b/c it doesn't have the rear sight. When you remove the rear sight, the Navy Luger has a particular shape to it, which the Artillery lacks.

Keep the 8" as is and pony up the $100 for the 6"- you wouldn't be able to live w/ the inaccuracy ;)

Already ordered the 6" Mike :)
But prices here in Germany are higher...paid 155 Euro for mine (the S&T Sterling for the R1 blasters goes for about 400 Euro :( )

Pretty detailed work here! Love it! Finished the parts for mine a week back and just need to assemble it all know. Pretty happy with how it all came out in the end, especially as I managed to keep the gas blowback (surprisingly tricky to keep on)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty detailed work here! Love it! Finished the parts for mine a week back and just need to assemble it all know. Pretty happy with how it all came out in the end, especially as I managed to keep the gas blowback (surprisingly tricky to keep on)

I didn't build mine with that in mind and in-fact took out a number of parts, but I suppose it COULD still work. Does anyone know if we actually see the mechanism working in the movie when she fires the pistol or is it simply static?

I didn't build mine with that in mind and in-fact took out a number of parts, but I suppose it COULD still work. Does anyone know if we actually see the mechanism working in the movie when she fires the pistol or is it simply static?

I believe the gas blowback feature was retained in the movie (though only can be really seen slowed down) - you can see it in the celebration reel around 2:14 or so:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170914/6e6ec890f2444125166395f77baffe9d
.gif

b187c6cbc11dc56b447c164b47cacc1e.jpg

Makes it quite a challenge to keep as I couldn't attach it to the barrel if I wanted it to keep the blowback action.

Fantastic! Now I need to go back and see what I need to do to make sure mine works!

I believe the gas blowback feature was retained in the movie (though only can be really seen slowed down) - you can see it in the celebration reel around 2:14 or so:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170914/6e6ec890f2444125166395f77baffe9d
.gif

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170914/b187c6cbc11dc56b447c164b47cacc1e.jpg

Makes it quite a challenge to keep as I couldn't attach it to the barrel if I wanted it to keep the blowback action.

Fantastic! Now I need to go back and see what I need to do to make sure mine works!

Feel free to pick my brains! I feel the design makes sense when it you try and make it gas blowback... 4 screws at the top keep the barrel assembly held on at the top and the under barrel piece keeps it supported in place at the bottom.

I had to do a lot of sanding down of the slide assembly to fit within the barrel and then milling of the barrel etc to give it enough clearance not to jam! Will upload some images in a few days :)

Yeah... that is definitely going to make me rethink my design because I had my set screws for the barrel tip digging into the P08 barrel, but that won't work if the P08 functions.

I think I have an idea on extending the A180 barrel tip like a sleeve so the P08 barrel can slide in and out of it a bit as I just feel like it needs that additional support out on the end

I have already been filing down the breech block in anticipation of the receiver shroud hitting it. Looks like I may have to file it a bit more after this.

Hmmmm.....

Feel free to pick my brains! I feel the design makes sense when it you try and make it gas blowback... 4 screws at the top keep the barrel assembly held on at the top and the under barrel piece keeps it supported in place at the bottom.

I had to do a lot of sanding down of the slide assembly to fit within the barrel and then milling of the barrel etc to give it enough clearance not to jam! Will upload some images in a few days :)

With this new info from @CWOODREPLICAS, for anyone that cares, there is about 9.15mm of barrel travel when the gun resets. As stated above, I think I am going to extend the barrel tip internally so that the tip of the P08 is supported by the barrel tip as it travels. Maybe I am overthinking it, but I almost want to notch the P08 barrel (there is already the start of a notch after you remove the front sight), and create a small guide inside the barrel tip so the P08 barrel rides along that guide.

While re-watching the Celebration reel section showing Jynn's blaster frame by frame I learned two things:

1) The barrel shroud does not move with the action, so it does appear all of the shroud is supported/fixed to the lower frame.

2) The blaster prop seems to have an LED added to the tip of the barrel to help with visual effects timing, as with Han's TFA blaster, and Chewie's TFA bowcaster. It's visible in just one frame:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8224/28830279124_7fa38009ed_o.png

Perhaps the hero blaster had the airsoft's barrel fully removed to house those electronics? There would be no need for that extra weight, and it's a separate removable part on the WE P08 to begin with.

From an earlier post... did we ever find more evidence for the LED beyond that one frame in the Celebration reel? I haven't watched the BTS features yet...

I have extended the barrel tip back by 9mm which gives the barrel a total support of 15mm to slide back and forth in. I have also notched the barrel tip to match the notch in the top of the barrel where the front sight was. Now I just need to extend the notch in the original barrel from the front site to the end of the barrel itself. This might be a bit of overengineering, but what it maintains it the ability of the barrel to support the barrel in some fashion.

jyn-erso-a180-blaster-pistol-barrel-tip-mod.JPG

CWOODREPLICAS, that is REALLY nice!

Here is my SLOW progress. printed filler plate test-fit piece came in today. Overall... pretty happy with this piece. It is going to need the SLIGHTEST bit of sanding and fitting when it is done in metal, especially the back edge, but this is pretty good to go!

jyn-erso-rogue-one-a180-blaster-pistol-filler-plate-1.jpg

jyn-erso-rogue-one-a180-blaster-pistol-filler-plate-2.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back