Walking Dead Rick Jacket

Hi everyone, I just joined rpf so I could post on this forum ( I'm also obsessed with this jacket and finding the best possible version ) and I read the whole thing over the last couple days. everything yall have been talking about is great with the stitching, zippers, collar etc. but it seems like there hasn't been much talk about the actual suede of the jacket ( material and color ) and yea I know how the original ugg looks sort of a soft material, dark brown color but in the show, the material looks so different like almost black and smooth and maybe that's just the way it looks on tv rather than in person but iv always liked the darker almost black look personally. I currently own the whitesheep jacket and am disappointed primarily with the suede, its super fuzzy, stiff, and thick and seems like to light of a color. Im rambling but basically I wanted to see what yall thought about this.
I have some pictures of ricks jacket where the suede looks very smooth and closer to black than a dark brown. Would this darker color just come with some weathering and distressing of the jacket? etc. Also, i have a picture of the texture of my whitesheep which in my opinion looks really bad. Thanks for the feedback.

Hi there, Welcome to the RPF forums! I own the original UGG jacket and it really is dark brown with a reddish undertone. If you'd wear this jacket casually and daily through rain etc. and do all sorts of things while wearing it, I would imagine that it will show wear over time and the jacket will become darker and show smooth spots. All of the UGG jackets used on the show really have been heavily distressed (damaged/torn at places, soaked in fake blood, made dirty and what not). Some even show holes.

Nothing really too tough (yet... wait till we get the prototype done and the experts tear it apart!). ;)
I'm ready to tear it apart now! (Though based on your previous work I think you'll probably nail it :D) Is there anything you can provide at all? Possibly a sneak image or percentage estimate? I know we've all been kind antsy and I think it's a little bit late to hope for it by Halloween based on your websites indication for estimated time with custom orders, I'm hoping maybe to get it hopefully by Christmas? ;)

A little teaser:

eekgUXw.jpg

Not too bad. I know it's a bit premature to evaluate because we only have one picture to look at, but what I noticed so far on the teaser:

1) the curves are very curvy and the back suede leather part seems very slim towards the middle and the bottom and it flares out excessively when it reaches the armholes
2) the outer part of the collar on the back (above the zigzag pattern) doesn't have a seam. The original has a seam running in the middle without stitches.
3) I'm also not sure about the length of the collar. If you look at the zigzag piece and the rest of the collar and compare their sizes relative to each other, then either the zigzag piece is too big, or the upper piece of the collar is too short.
4) what accidental said, the stitches at the bottom don't run on the ribbed fabric, but only on the suede.

Here are reference pics for the back and the collar with measurements based on size L:
3) DETAILED MEASUREMENTS BACK.jpg7) COLLAR.jpg

Not too bad. I know it's a bit premature to evaluate because we only have one picture to look at, but what I noticed so far on the teaser:

1) the curves are very curvy and the back suede leather part seems very slim towards the middle and the bottom and it flares out excessively when it reaches the armholes
2) the outer part of the collar on the back (above the zigzag pattern) doesn't have a seam. The original has a seam running in the middle without stitches.
3) I'm also not sure about the length of the collar. If you look at the zigzag piece and the rest of the collar and compare their sizes relative to each other, then either the zigzag piece is too big, or the upper piece of the collar is too short.
4) what accidental said, the stitches at the bottom don't run on the ribbed fabric, but only on the suede.

Here are reference pics for the back and the collar with measurements based on size L:
View attachment 765480View attachment 765481

I agree with everything said by Razor and accidental.
Definitely very narrow on the back with big curves outward at the top. Needs to be no stitching across the lycra at the bottom.

In terms of materials and colours of materials, what does everyone think?
Ribbed lycra fabric looks pretty good? Not so easy to tell completely based on the pic, in terms of quality of the materials/and in terms of how tough/flexible they are etc.

Overall for the first one though looking good, based on the first pic.

Definitely very narrow on the back with big curves outward at the top. Needs to be no stitching across the lycra at the bottom.

Ribbed lycra fabric looks pretty good? Not so easy to tell completely based on the pic, in terms of quality of the materials/and in terms of how tough/flexible they are etc.

I like thr look of it already like said a few minir details althou it might just be the picture itself or the brightness but the suede leather looks a bit too red or is it just me? I think more brown or darker would suit more

I like thr look of it already like said a few minir details althou it might just be the picture itself or the brightness but the suede leather looks a bit too red or is it just me? I think more brown or darker would suit more

I think it looks pretty close, depends which picture you look at of Ricks jacket and which version of the jacket he's wearing.

I see what you mean. It's really hard to determine the right color by using just pictures as lighting conditions (sunny day, rainy day, midday, morning, using flash or no flash, etc.) can make colors look different from one moment to another. You may be right.

Just my 2 cents about the prototype shown in the picture that hasn't been mentioned yet it looks like that cross stich or zigzag area has been placed on the collar and looking at the measurements picture plus my own ugg jacket it's actually more under the collar on the top of the back panel

Hey I just got back from being out of town, yeah it's a bit hard to tell from the photo but I think you guys pretty much covered it with the shape and length and etc. This is hard to describe, but the ribbed lycra seems to have less stitching whereas the OEM lycra is a lot more fine (I believe Indy mentioned that it's just a placeholder until they get the finer lycra) That's all I can think of at the moment

I tend to agree that the color of the suede should be a little darker (more black brown). However the reddish undertone is correct.

Just my 2 cents about the prototype shown in the picture that hasn't been mentioned yet it looks like that cross stich or zigzag area has been placed on the collar and looking at the measurements picture plus my own ugg jacket it's actually more under the collar on the top of the back panel

You mean that the bottom of the collar isn't straight but runs in a curve that cuts into the back of the jacket? If so, then you're right, the collar curves 1 cm into the jacket at the back.

Hey I just got back from being out of town, yeah it's a bit hard to tell from the photo but I think you guys pretty much covered it with the shape and length and etc. This is hard to describe, but the ribbed lycra seems to have less stitching whereas the OEM lycra is a lot more fine (I believe Indy mentioned that it's just a placeholder until they get the finer lycra) That's all I can think of at the moment

You mean that the lycra should have a tighter weave/more whales per cm/inch. I measure 8 whales per cm on the original UGG. Indeed hard to tell exactly watching the photo.

I tend to agree that the color of the suede should be a little darker (more black brown). However the reddish undertone is correct.

You mean that the lycra should have a tighter weave/more whales per cm/inch. I measure 8 whales per cm on the original UGG. Indeed hard to tell exactly watching the photo.
Pretty much yeah, but even then Indy posted a while back that this lycra is just a placeholder while he's looking for a tighter weave so really it seems like just the back shape, collar, and color are the only things for now. Just curious, you did mention before about owning the jacket (not sure which sizes you have) do you still own it? Earlier I brought up sending in an actual Ugg jacket so Indy can have a proper model to work with, but so far we've had a couple people "volunteer" to do so but they haven't been on here since July :/

I know you mentioned the difficulty of it with the costs and risk, but you've been consistently combing through this thread and helping us with details/measurements and overall you've contributed a GREAT amount into this project and if possible, sending in the jacket would be the best way to get an exact copy of the jacket down to the stitching. As I said before I don't know the exact details of the cost and timing, but Indy did mention earlier about convenience as well:

We've actually done this before with a few high end pieces including a $1200 leather jacket and a $900 shirt. Shipping back and forth, depending on the items value, is usually done via tracked courier. As for the time involved, it's really up to the person lending the jacket. We could technically photograph, measure and study the item in one day and return immediately if necessary, but the longer we hold on to it, the better we can match fabric samples, color, even details of the initial prototype, etc.

Not to mention he's a trusted seller and a veteran member of the RPF for over 15 years if it helps with credentials :p Like I said just an idea that could give us a good push, and Indy's easier to get in contact with as opposed to Suzahdi ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much yeah, but even then Indy posted a while back that this lycra is just a placeholder while he's looking for a tighter weave so really it seems like just the back shape, collar, and color are the only things for now. Just curious, you did mention before about owning the jacket (not sure which sizes you have) do you still own it? Earlier I brought up sending in an actual Ugg jacket so Indy can have a proper model to work with, but so far we've had a couple people "volunteer" to do so but they haven't been on here since July :/

I know you mentioned the difficulty of it with the costs and risk, but you've been consistently combing through this thread and helping us with details/measurements and overall you've contributed a GREAT amount into this project and if possible, sending in the jacket would be the best way to get an exact copy of the jacket down to the stitching. As I said before I don't know the exact details of the cost and timing, but Indy did mention earlier about convenience as well:

Not to mention he's a trusted seller and a veteran member of the RPF for over 15 years if it helps with credentials :p Like I said just an idea that could give us a good push, and Indy's easier to get in contact with as opposed to Suzahdi ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks nladyman. :) Indy certainly isn't the problem, it's the location on the globe that he's living on. I just have bad experience with things like this and I simply don't want to risk my UGG jacket over it.

I've pretty much documented everything to ensure that the model of the jacket with details and measurements are correct. Thing is that the measurements I provided are of standard ready-made fit sizes (L and XL), whereas Indy only offers them made-to-measure. This approach can affect the model and details of the entire jacket depending on the custom measurements that people provide him with (and depending on how closely people actually follow the information on details and measurements of the jacket).

What's left to be tackled are the exact colors of the materials. I had a plan, but it didn't quite work out. It's not impossible, it's just a bit of a hassle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks nladyman. :) Indy certainly isn't the problem, it's the location on the globe that he's living on. I just have bad experience with things like this and I simply don't want to risk my UGG jacket over it.

I've pretty much documented everything to ensure that the model of the jacket with details and measurements are correct. Thing is that the measurements I provided are of standard ready-made fit sizes (L and XL), whereas Indy only offers them made-to-measure. This approach can affect the model and details of the entire jacket depending on the custom measurements that people provide him with (and depending on how closely people actually follow the information on details and measurements of the jacket).

What's left to be tackled are the exact colors of the materials. I had a plan, but it didn't quite work out. It's not impossible, it's just a bit of a hassle.
Toitally understandable man, those jackets have incredible value!

As for the measurements opposed to the made to measure orders, I actually own an Abercrombie Jacket that fits me so nicely and it pretty much matches the silhouette of the Ugg jacket with the funnel neck and all so I might try to take exact measurements from my jacket to have an exact fit

image1xxl.jpg

Hey guys I have to admit I didnt read the whole thread because you are so freaking crazy and you putted so much effort into analysing the jacket.
So basically I just would like to know : where do you recommend to buy the jacket to get an accurate replica ?have to say i'm not an so huge maniac as you , so much that even if the underarm fabric is absent it's not a problem. One of you, likemike if i'm right posted theses pictures https://m.imgur.com/a/2uLuN and this one jacket looked pretty good . Also, does the jacket is comfortable to wear ?
P-S : excuse my poor english I'm from France

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back