Bandai Star Wars 1/12 R2-D2 & R5-D4

-... . .- --..

Sr Member
Is there anything more fun out there right now than these little Bandai kits?

Here's R2's unfinished dome:

Now about half way there assembling these guys, from what I can tell:

And before anybody asks, here are the colors I've used so far:

Clearly I love the Gunze stuff. All parts were first primed using the "1500 Black". Yes, all parts. The blue parts were then painted using the "Super Fine Silver", an then finally given several coats of the Dykem "Steel Blue" layout fluid, which just happens to be the exact same stuff that was used for the full-size props and at least some of the miniature droids made for the first film. All colors, including the "Steel Blue" were airbrushed and thinned with "Mr Color Leveling Thinner".

Really can't wait to weather these guys, but must resist the urge until they're ready...

Last edited by a moderator:
When I saw the pics I was going to ask what blue you used because it looked spot on to the Dykem with the right purple hue seen in ANH. :D

Those are going to be 2 great little droids !

I love the Mr Color leveling thinner, I use it for everything now! Goes down beautifully. I'm just off to get myself some of that Dykem stuff now, that blue is gorgeous.

I bought these for my 4 year old daughter. We're gonna put them together unpainted the next time she has to come to work with me. I'm VERY excited about that

Fantastic Kevin, when I see your pics I cant figure they are so small in real life, it seems the R5 head needed some work but at the end of the day it looks perfect.

Wow, the detail on these kits and the paint job you gave them is totally misleading to there actual size. Quite stunning!

I really need to pick up these kits and the C-3P0 kit. They really are impressive looking when finished even just straight out of the box let alone with a proper paint job

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back