a con friendly "Blue Gun" replica Mauser c96

kristen jones

Master Member
Now here's something interesting....

I work at an Army Surplus store, and we frequently order in Ring's "Blue Guns" for fitting of holsters. I had noticed recently that they offered a C96, and I thought why not order one to use for a DL-44 build?

it arrived today:

12642907_10207995493421498_5190347982771680338_n.jpg

First, I was surprised that it arrived painted, and not "blue". not that it matters, since it will be repainted anyway.

But then I thought "it seems kind of small...especially the grip."

So I laid it next to a real C96:

12417987_10207995492781482_3019948295644328950_n.jpg
12647504_10207995493181492_7157347651590592533_n.jpg

I guess it's right after all.

Now I'll need to get cracking finding all of the greeblies and sundries i'll need to complete the conversion.

Any suggestions? Are there folks who offer a complete kit to mod a C96? Or is it best to do it bit by bit?

I bet you could talk someone who has a 3D printer into printing you a copy for cheap. We have a printer here at work, I might print a test myself as I'm also looking for a con-friendly DL-44. If I get one going I can run you a copy too. How much are these blue guns? Maybe a trade

you can do that (probably better quality!) or if you have your own printer.. or access to the local makerspace in your area (no doubt they have some there as well)

Yes... that's how Ring's makes them. they case the real firearm, and then make these reproductions of them for training purposes. They make a "Blue Gun" of just about any weapon you can think of.

that's also why I wanted to lay it next to the real C96...to confirm that it's 1:1 size and proportions. all too often, airsoft replicas are too big or too small, or have missing details. I thought this would be best because it's a solid plastic gun (con safe) and also has the exact details of the real firearm, so it would make the best base for a replica to use at a con.

Casting of a real Mauser - yes
correct model - no, because of this > the wrong grip- frame

Not sure what you mean. have a look at two of the three pictures that I've posted. it's sat beside a REAL Mauser C96. The grip frame looks the same between the plastic gun and the real mauser.

unless you're saying that the screen used DL-44 was not made with a C96?

Now obviously we are used to seeing the grips with the horizontal lines in them. I haven't decided yet what i'll do about that. I *may* slice off the grips and put real wood grips on this... not sure yet.

Last edited:
The master for the blue gun is obviously the same model of a C96, than the one you used for comparsion. But none of the life firing DL44 used this C96 model as their base. Check the numerous DL44 related threads to get more insight about the correct C96.

Anyway...nice and cost effective way to start a decent blaster. Looking forward to your progress :)

Not sure what you mean. have a look at two of the three pictures that I've posted. it's sat beside a REAL Mauser C96. The grip frame looks the same between the plastic gun and the real mauser.

unless you're saying that the screen used DL-44 was not made with a C96?

Now obviously we are used to seeing the grips with the horizontal lines in them. I haven't decided yet what i'll do about that. I *may* slice off the grips and put real wood grips on this... not sure yet.

I think Odiwan72 is saying that the real Mauser pistol and the Rings' Mauser in your photos are the Bolo version of the Mauser C96. The frame and for all intents and purposes, the whole handle area, are not shaped accurately to the DL-44's seen on screen as those on screen were not based on the Bolo version of the Mauser C96. Nitpicking to some and not to others, however for trooping and/or cosplay, as Odiwan72 said, what you have here is a great first step to building a DL-44 blaster that you can actually enter most cons with.

Thanks for sharing this discovery. I know a lot of people here have been looking for a reasonably priced alternative to building a DL-44.

I think the one you have would make a good resin stunt copy. It reminds me of the resin casts they used in filming, the way the trigger is etc. It's a lot cheaper than the denix (where I live at least)

Thats what I've been thinking id do..cut off the grips and add some material to widen the grip frame and then put on the right grips. Tge barrel length wont matter because its going to get a flash hider anyway.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back