1/48 B-Wing Scratch Build

rbeach84

Sr Member
Dear Readers, running through all the wonderful B-Wing projects here on RPF, I've come to realize I could build a 1/48 scale B-Wing using essentially the same kits as the original filming miniature, only with 'smaller' versions. Looking over Jason Eaton's pix of the 'orange spot' model (published on Modelers Magic website) and reading Guy Cowan's B-Wing build thread especially, I see that the main parts of the model came from 1/32 aircraft kits, namely the Tamiya F-14A & the Hasegawa F-18 kits. The tip-off is that the pilot figure was also from the F-14 kit hence it is a direct scale-down to 1/48 by using similar kits like Monogram's F-14 & Hornet for the corresponding parts. Other possible 'down scale' sources would be 1/200 scale kits of the Shuttle & Saturn V (actually would need 1/206 scale, but I can work with a <3% difference.)

In the case of such sources as the 1/20 F1 & 1/35 & 1/72 scale armor kits, I'll most likely just end up scratching up the parts as 2/3's of those fall to 30th, 52nd & 108th scale ranges respectively. Same for the 1/12th 312T kit parts. So still a tough challenge but at least not the wings! I hate scratching wings (keeping those edges clean & straight is really tough...)

There are two main components - the large central 'intake' box & the forward cockpit pod - that I haven't determined the original sources for & so cannot say if there might be smaller kits that would fill those spots. The box would be fairly straight forward to do from flat sheet but the forward pod would be tougher (given the ol' eyeballing it from distorted images problem...) Even lacking direct scale-down sources, having the original sources can help get the shapes right.

So I'm asking if any of our guru's can please help me out on these items. If the sources are 'sensitive', I can keep things under the hat if needed. I suspect in any case I will need to make drawings to fabricate the components, which I *can* share with the community in case someone else wishes to do the same 'adventure'.

My findings so far are:
Required kits: 2x 1/48 F-14, 1x 1/48 F-18, 2x 1/200 Space Shuttle & boosters, 1x 1/200 Saturn V.
F-14 kit: Primary wing (paired top wing parts); Primary wing root fairings (paired wing glove top surfaces, suitably trimmed); 'Fuel' pods (drop tanks); pilot (head replaced with one from 1/48 Monogram UH-B)
F-18 kit: Secondary wings (modified main wing parts.)
Shuttle Booster: Aft cockpit nacelle (main booster tank nose cone, trimmed @ angle); Central Engine core (booster cones)
Saturn V: Cockpit nacelle rotation 'collar' (stage one segment)

There may be other applicable parts to be gleaned from these donors, but until I've worked up rough drawings to compare the bits against, it would all be speculation.

I expect this will take a while for me to work through so I beg your patience as I go along. Plus, fair warning, I tend to be easily distracted so there will be fits and starts to this, for which I apologize. Nonetheless, I hope you will find this entertaining.

Many thanks to all who have waded into the B-Wing - your contributions give me courage to tackle this myself.

Regards, Robert

This is a studio ship I have always wanted to understand what it composed of kit wise, as I always thought the majority of it and the a-wing were custom designed and moulded, not off the shelf kits, as all these details come to light it's great to see how the model makers incorporate kits to come to the final design shape .
ill be watching with interest and if I have any of the kits you query as you go along I'll share any info / images you need .

Not for you Robert but maybe someone is listening .
also while people mention all the maps being hosted elsewhere many of them we cannot access, it would be great to copy those maps here so they are in one location, I have also noticed here some studio scale threads get preference like the stuck thread for x-wing but we don't get the same for 5 foot falcon maps or anything else , I know if all the studio models were stuck there would be a lot but the falcon is the ultimate iconic ship ......maybe a single studio stuck thread for each film with internal links to the main studio I'd maps threads

Vac, that sounds like a good idea, to link all the various referential type resources together under one 'sticky' thread - like the 'Hasbro Toy Appreciation' thread...

Regards, Robert

Do you have any parts maps by any chance. I've been thinking about tackling a 1/48 version as well as accurzing my 1/72 version. I've heard that shuttle parts were used adn was trying to figure out if any of the existing kits could be used for a 1/72 version

Do you have any parts maps by any chance. I've been thinking about tackling a 1/48 version as well as accurizing my 1/72 version. I've heard that shuttle parts were used adn was trying to figure out if any of the existing kits could be used for a 1/72 version

Not yet; given that most of the parts will have to be scratch-built anyway, it would be (for this project) somewhat pointless to ID all the tiny grebblie parts. The 'ah-HAH!' for me was finding out major parts came from a 1/32 scale kit including the pilot, making the film miniature a defacto 1/32 scale model. So, all I have to do is use everything at 2/3 size the original studio model (orange spot is the one I'm doing) for 1/48 scale. Nicely, as noted, any Tomcat parts have counterparts in 1/48 scale.

To get to 1/72 scale, you just need 1/72 scale Tomcat & Hornet kits to start. Other parts become a bit trickier because of the mix of scales. The ratio needed is 44.4% of the originals (32/72 = .444). Applied to, say, the 1/35 scale parts, equivalent kits to 1/78.75 scale (35/.444 = 78.75) would be needed. The closest available armor is Roco which is 1/87 scale and not really suitable. For the 1/144 shuttle parts, you'd need something at 1/324. A 1/350 scale model might work as a donor due to only a roughly 8% size difference. But is there a 1/350 Space Shuttle anywhere? I found one on Shapeways that you might actually be able to ask the author to resize for you, perhaps even offer just the needed parts (the external stack & boosters, right?)

Have you visited the Reference image archives on the Modelers, Miniatures & Magic website? There are at least two image sets for the B-Wing that I am using (thanks to Jean Marc Deschamps & Jason Eaton for sharing...)

Regards, Robert

Really cool idea, and fun to learn where the wings come from! Even a map of the major parts would be cool to see.

Btw, a 1/350 shuttle would be something like 4" long, not much to work with. I'll bet you could find a small toy that size though.

Not yet; given that most of the parts will have to be scratch-built anyway, it would be (for this project) somewhat pointless to ID all the tiny grebblie parts. The 'ah-HAH!' for me was finding out major parts came from a 1/32 scale kit including the pilot, making the film miniature a defacto 1/32 scale model. So, all I have to do is use everything at 2/3 size the original studio model (orange spot is the one I'm doing) for 1/48 scale. Nicely, as noted, any Tomcat parts have counterparts in 1/48 scale.

To get to 1/72 scale, you just need 1/72 scale Tomcat & Hornet kits to start. Other parts become a bit trickier because of the mix of scales. The ratio needed is 44.4% of the originals (32/72 = .444). Applied to, say, the 1/35 scale parts, equivalent kits to 1/78.75 scale (35/.444 = 78.75) would be needed. The closest available armor is Roco which is 1/87 scale and not really suitable. For the 1/144 shuttle parts, you'd need something at 1/324. A 1/350 scale model might work as a donor due to only a roughly 8% size difference. But is there a 1/350 Space Shuttle anywhere? I found one on Shapeways that you might actually be able to ask the author to resize for you, perhaps even offer just the needed parts (the external stack & boosters, right?)

Have you visited the Reference image archives on the Modelers, Miniatures & Magic website? There are at least two image sets for the B-Wing that I am using (thanks to Jean Marc Deschamps & Jason Eaton for sharing...)

Regards, Robert

I've seen those images they are great.

As far as finding donor parts, I'm really worried about the small greeblies. The things I am hoping to get mostly are the cockpit areas and wings etc...

From what I thought, the two smaller wings came from an F-18 hornet's wings correct? (although I thought they came from the tail fins, but that would bee too small)

So in that case a 1/72 hornet should work nicely and it just so happens Revell has some cheap 1/72 snap kits I can get for 40% at the local Michaels or AC Moore (assuming the scale is correct)

Is the main wing the wings of the F-14 tomcat?

IIRC the back piece of the cockpit is the shuttle engine stack cone?

Yes sir, your points are what I understand to be the case. The primary wing is the two upper wing halves together to give a symmetrical curvature. You'd need two F-14 kits (or make copies) because there is also the 'wing' section between the intake box and the cockpit nacelle. I also believe the root fairings on the primary wing axes are made from trimmed sections of the top surfaces of the F-14's wing box (the non-moving portion of the F-14's wing root...)

The Hornet wings will need to probably be 'back-dated' to the prototype configuration which had leading edges with a 'snag' extension. Most kits extant today have the production version of the wing so we'll have to add back the extended leading edge on the outer wing panels to match what was used on the B-Wing model. Actually, the old Monogram/Revell Snap-Tite kit may still have the notched prototype wings, if memory serves. The tip-off on the secondary wings being from a Hornet is the long fairing on the undersides. One prob for us doing a smaller scale version is that the original Hasegawa 1/32 Hornet wings were in top & bottom halves whereas many of the 1/49 & 1/72 scale kits are molded as one piece (or mostly) parts. Although I'm not certain, I suspect the ILM modelers inserted a piece of sheet plastic between the halves as a shim to thicken the B-Wing's leading edges,,, which are of course the trailing edges of the Hornet wing (or else a spar...)

In any case, there will be very little that would be used without modification...

R/ Robert

I assessed the 1/200 Saturn V kit (from AMT, recently reissued by Round 2) and the first stage looks good for the 'rotator cuff' on the cockpit nacelle, with a slight bit of trimming to reduce the diameter slightly. The Saturn V donor was confirmed (in spite of my original doubts caused by seeing the overlapping planks of the 'grooved' section.) I was thinking it might be Evergreen siding sheet plastic stock, however I can see the two 1st stage parts have to have a 'draft' in the corrugations to clear the molds - which matches the original Airfix parts. Also, I've ordered a 1/200 Lindberg Space Shuttle stack off eBay & should have that before two long... Hopefully it is pretty accurate.

I discovered the Monogram 1/48 F-14A kit doesn't include fuel tanks so I'll need to raid a Hasegawa kit for its drop tanks. The F-14 drop tanks where not standard streamlined tanks, having a unique mounting that presents as a notched aft area - which is apparent in the photos so the source (i,e, a Tomcat kit) is pretty well confirmed.

I was looking at the central 'quad engine pack' nozzles, attempting to size them. I purchased an old AMT B-Wing kit (the triple Snap-Tite issue which also has the TIE Interceptor & small X-Wing) for reference, but it is 1/112 scale [CORRECTION: model is 1/100 scale] so its tricky taking measurements off it. However, it does have accurate (if soft) detailing such that I suspect AMT had access to the original filming miniature (even the prominent levers in the cockpit are present...) The engine bodies are shaped like champagne flutes or tiny bells. Jason's images appear to show the engines as tapering, ogival shapes and not straight cylinders, which eliminates the Shuttle booster rocket bodies as candidates for these parts.

So, the parts I've ID'ed for use are:
*Primary wing segments: 1/48 F-14 top wings, mounted leading edge aft & trailing edge modded with shims to thicken
*Secondary wing segments: 1/48 F/A-18 Hornet, also mounted with leading edge aft & shimmed to thicken & blunt the original trailing edge. Mounts so when folded against the primary wing, the original bottom surface is facing outwards. The wings must have the notched leading edge of the original developmental Hornet.
*Fuel tanks: must be F-14 drop tanks from a 1/48 scale kit.
*Aft crew nacelle: Nose cone from a 1/200 Space Shuttle External tank, tip trimmed at a slight angle
*Quad engine pack nozzles: inside exhaust nozzle can be made from the 1/200 Saturn V F1 engine nozzles, trimmed to a largest diameter of 19.5 / 32" (if the Shuttle Booster rocket nozzles don't fit the bill...)

Suspected donor parts include:
*Root mounting fairings: sections from the F-14 glove root top

And that it so far...

R/ Robert

PS: Looking at the F-18 drop tanks, it is possible they were used for the quad engine bodies. Trimming the tip off and then cutting just a bit into the parallel section appears to give the correct profile & a diameter that will accommodate the Shuttle Booster nozzles...

Last edited:
Okay, digging deeper in the archives & going through the entire 'B-Wing Thread' by "Moes" again, found that the original quad engine bodies (aka 'engine bells') came from the 1/48 scale Tamiya A-10 kit (the engine pods.) This is fortuitous since we can then use 1/72 scale A-10 engines for the 1/48 scale B-Wing.

So count that one solved.

I am getting more convinced that the quad engine 'box' was a scratch item & not from a kit. By process of elimination, we can discount that the various armor kit hulls, like the Hanomag or 8-wheeler (which have lower hulls with angled sides) because the B-Wing part has slightly curved sides. All the armor would have flat 'plates' & so lack that curvature.. Near as I can tell, the part is a constant 3.5 inches wide at the joint plane (horizontal) which would tend to eliminate ship model donors. Good thing the shape is simple enough to scratch-build even without using a vacformer.

Last thing I want to clear up is the source of the cockpit nacelle's forward half. Although it is apparently similar in shape to the space shuttle nose cone used on the aft half, it has a pointier profile and is slightly larger in diameter (near as I can tell...) Still hoping one of our B-Wing gurus can share that tidbit, assuming it is already known. Barring that, it can be scratch-built. I expect I'll be using my vacformer to replicate the plating in any case as many involve complex curvatures.

Cheers!
Robert

This is a really interesting thread, a great idea and I will be following. It should also be noted that Tamiya have now massively expanded their 1/48 afv range, not available in the 70s. This opens huge doors as a lot of parts are scaled down from their 1/35 range. So in theory, any parts used on the originals in 1/35 can now be produced using 1/48 parts (I'm not saying the actual prop would be 1/35 of course just the parts). The rad is an example as it follows a recent studio thread on building the probe droid and now can be built smaller. The flak parts are also now available in 1/48 etc. Sorry to derail but thought of interest to those not normally military modellers, check out Tamiya 1/48 range http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/32574sdkfz232/index.htm

This is a really interesting thread, a great idea and I will be following. It should also be noted that Tamiya have now massively expanded their 1/48 afv range, not available in the 70s. This opens huge doors as a lot of parts are scaled down from their 1/35 range. So in theory, any parts used on the originals in 1/35 can now be produced using 1/48 parts (I'm not saying the actual prop would be 1/35 of course just the parts). The rad is an example as it follows a recent studio thread on building the probe droid and now can be built smaller. The flak parts are also now available in 1/48 etc. Sorry to derail but thought of interest to those not normally military modellers, check out Tamiya 1/48 range http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/32574sdkfz232/index.htm

Good point TK! One issue however is that since the original was made using a 1/32 scale pilot, it is a de facto "1/32 scale model". So, to make a 1/48 scale model, any original parts will need to be scaled down by one third (32/48 = 0.666). So, any parts from 1/32 scale donors can be represented directly by 1/48 scale kit equivalents. For 1/35 original donor parts, however, they would have to come from 1/52.5 scale kits (35/0.666 = 52.55). The difference between 48 & 53 scale is roughly 8%. Depending on the part & its size, the difference may be noticeable - or not. But it is something to keep in mind. Even the 1/144 scale donor parts scale down to an odd value (1/206), but as the delta for 1/200 scale is less (~3-4%), I think it is workable even for larger parts like the aft cockpit pod. The rule of thumb is the larger the actual dimension, the more noticeable the difference.

One main point for this project is I am not building a studio scale model, so strictly using equivalent kit parts isn't as important as being true to the original filming miniature. From a practical standpoint, this simply means I will be cobbling up many of the greeblie details from scratch because there is no other option - plus it will be faster, more accurate and easier. ID'ing parts is most helpful in determining the dimensions & details on the original pieces so my hand made scale-down bits can be more accurate. This is more critical on larger parts such as the primary gun's 'casing' & the root fairings. Smaller items can be 'eyeballed' as exactness is less critical - though the ol' Mk I can be pretty precise!

Regards, Robert

Good point TK! One issue however is that since the original was made using a 1/32 scale pilot, it is a de facto "1/32 scale model". So, to make a 1/48 scale model, any original parts will need to be scaled down by one third (32/48 = 0.666). So, any parts from 1/32 scale donors can be represented directly by 1/48 scale kit equivalents. For 1/35 original donor parts, however, they would have to come from 1/52.5 scale kits (35/0.666 = 52.55). The difference between 48 & 53 scale is roughly 8%. Depending on the part & its size, the difference may be noticeable - or not. But it is something to keep in mind. Even the 1/144 scale donor parts scale down to an odd value (1/206), but as the delta for 1/200 scale is less (~3-4%), I think it is workable even for larger parts like the aft cockpit pod. The rule of thumb is the larger the actual dimension, the more noticeable the difference.

One main point for this project is I am not building a studio scale model, so strictly using equivalent kit parts isn't as important as being true to the original filming miniature. From a practical standpoint, this simply means I will be cobbling up many of the greeblie details from scratch because there is no other option - plus it will be faster, more accurate and easier. ID'ing parts is most helpful in determining the dimensions & details on the original pieces so my hand made scale-down bits can be more accurate. This is more critical on larger parts such as the primary gun's 'casing' & the root fairings. Smaller items can be 'eyeballed' as exactness is less critical - though the ol' Mk I can be pretty precise!

Regards, Robert
yes definately Robert, I understand exactly what you mean. I'm a military modelker so don't mind scratch building and will be admiring your work on here, I really meant that as some main parts are now available in 1/48, it may take some of the hardwork out as there are parts in this smaller scale that can be combined with scratch building. I too like the close but not 100% studio scale, or rather if it looks right then I'm ok :). At least going smaller it may be a bit cheaper on kit parts and less display space needed :) best wishes

One of the challenges with this will be the application of all the plating detail. I'm thinking vacuforming over the kit parts and then cutting out what I need, however it is tricky to vac over plastic parts - the heat can mess 'em up. I intend to test using metal bearing balls as a vac-bed & sticking the parts in the refrigerator first. This will give the kit part some greater thermal 'mass' as a heat sink and hopefully keep things from going wonky.

On another point, I've been checking the MPC B-Wing kit against my 1/48 F-14 wings and they are coming up too small, both in chord & length. I need to double check my scaling of the MPC kit, but it is possible I have the wrong wing donor kit. However, I don't know what other kit could provide wings of the needed size for the original. It is possible that not only did the ILM guys fatten the wings but also grafted on some extra length and chord to achieve the contours they did. But more careful examination of the reference pix is needed to resolve this discrepancy.

Regards, Robert

Regards, Robert
Is there no way that these maps could be copied over here with the authors permissions as movie magic cannot be accessed by everyone and many of the studio scale builds are happening here without sharing the information they are gleaning from this other site, I thought this site was for sharing info ......I know there are many reasons for people protecting source information , but it's getting tiring trying to navigate information sharing .
ill give you an example recently there has been two studio builds that are Star Wars where I had wrongly assumed that the majority of parts were custom build and moulded , but it's now looking like it's all kit parts as well, the B-wing is one of them , as I'm collecting parts if I'm close to building one of these I could crack on with them while collecting for other studio builds

I'm not looking for handouts , but for the B-wing if I could be told what areas were not kit parts , I could concentrate on other kit searches, or even a list of scales of models , that way your still protecting source information but helping everyone else . Sorry for the rant , it's not aimed at you beach as your very open with sharing .

Good luck with this project, here's some help :

- Engines are not from the A-10 and have not been ID'ed so far (there are scribbed lines on the parts used on the filming miniature that could help ID'ing the correct part).
- The main wing is not made of a F-14 wing.
- The nose cone/cockpit was vacformed (pics of Bill George building the model show it) as well as the main body/intake, Not sure how to call it. Most of the main wing/wing root/gun pods etc were vacformed.

Good luck with this project, here's some help :

- Engines are not from the A-10 and have not been ID'ed so far (there are scribbed lines on the parts used on the filming miniature that could help ID'ing the correct part).
- The main wing is not made of a F-14 wing.
- The nose cone/cockpit was vacformed (pics of Bill George building the model show it) as well as the main body/intake, Not sure how to call it. Most of the main wing/wing root/gun pods etc were vacformed.

That's good to know, but bad for me to know since I have no vacuform equipment, ability or availability! I just love this model and this thread and was hoping I could build one somehow!

Is there no way that these maps could be copied over here with the authors permissions as movie magic cannot be accessed by everyone and many of the studio scale builds are happening here without sharing the information they are gleaning from this other site, I thought this site was for sharing info ......I know there are many reasons for people protecting source information , but it's getting tiring trying to navigate information sharing .
ill give you an example recently there has been two studio builds that are Star Wars where I had wrongly assumed that the majority of parts were custom build and moulded , but it's now looking like it's all kit parts as well, the B-wing is one of them , as I'm collecting parts if I'm close to building one of these I could crack on with them while collecting for other studio builds

I'm not looking for handouts , but for the B-wing if I could be told what areas were not kit parts , I could concentrate on other kit searches, or even a list of scales of models , that way your still protecting source information but helping everyone else . Sorry for the rant , it's not aimed at you beach as your very open with sharing .

Most st people registered on the other board are the same guys who share all these infos on the other boards. Infos that they found by themselves.

I dont want to sound rude, but it's not hard to find what was scratchbuilt or not regarding the B-Wing :

You have the old school way, do like the Old timers and do your own research.

Or just search for infos in the studio scale section if you're a lazzy guy. All the infos you're asking can be found here, it can be found in a few minutes while it took years or decades to the guys to originaly find it, but obviously spending a few minutes or a few hours to find readily available infos here or using Google seems to be too much time.

However instead of writting that post asking for those infos you could have spent that very same time reading the dedicated threads and getting the infos you wanted.

You, new RPF members, dont know the chance you have. I mean a lot of infos are readily available. You have almost nothing to do other than reading thread.
You want to build a 5ft Falcon ? Just read the thread and look at the partmaps !
Tons of infos can be found in X-wing, Y-Wing, B-wing, A-wing, probe droid, both at-sts, 8ft Star Destroyer, Death Star laser turret threads to quote a few.

Sorry for the rant too.

- - - Updated - - -

That's good to know, but bad for me to know since I have no vacuform equipment, ability or availability! I just love this model and this thread and was hoping I could build one somehow!

You can build your own vacforming tool in less than one hour and for less than $50, the vacformed B-Wing parts are quite small so this model doesnt require a huge vacforming tool.

Most st people registered on the other board are the same guys who share all these infos on the other boards. Infos that they found by themselves.

I dont want to sound rude, but it's not hard to find what was scratchbuilt or not regarding the B-Wing :

You have the old school way, do like the Old timers and do your own research.

Or just search for infos in the studio scale section if you're a lazzy guy. All the infos you're asking can be found here, it can be found in a few minutes while it took years or decades to the guys to originaly find it, but obviously spending a few minutes or a few hours to find readily available infos here or using Google seems to be too much time.

However instead of writting that post asking for those infos you could have spent that very same time reading the dedicated threads and getting the infos you wanted.

You, new RPF members, dont know the chance you have. I mean a lot of infos are readily available. You have almost nothing to do other than reading thread.
You want to build a 5ft Falcon ? Just read the thread and look at the partmaps !
Tons of infos can be found in X-wing, Y-Wing, B-wing, A-wing, probe droid, both at-sts, 8ft Star Destroyer, Death Star laser turret threads to quote a few.

Sorry for the rant too.

- - - Updated - - -

You can build your own vacforming tool in less than one hour and for less than $50, the vacformed B-Wing parts are quite small so this model doesnt require a huge vacforming tool.
I agree with you to a certain extent ,
except a lot of older members were here when those original posts were created and the images still existed , they don't now , I know I have read many of them . Please provide one example of an RPF post that includes what the central engine detail of a B-wing model is made from , that does not link external sites .

Obviously I am not talking about the 5 foot falcon threads although I am amazed that that thread is not stuck and yet studio scale build area is being flooded with deagostini threads.
,recently when I referenced an id map on the 5 foot map I'd thread , some one here said it was not accurate , but then did not proceed to correct the map with Gort ? Again not sharing what is known,

I want to build a studio model as accurately as possible ,
while some of the kits are crazy money or just impossible to find that is fair enough,
however I am more interested in the accuracy of the part in question , than the kit, an example is everyone was stating the original air fix hurricane kit was different from the red box air fix version , I researched the kit , once I saw the lower wing I knew it was the correct detail, only after I purchased the kit that was confirmed, then and only then did everyone came out of the woodwork confirming it was the same kit , again I know people are protecting information as there are people making careers from information other people fought for here.

i have read all the 5 foot thread front to back, as I do will all threads I have an interest in , much of the best information is in textual written form and not images.
as to the great information that the older builders have pulled and identified with painstaking accuracy I applaud them, and for the the individuals that do share , thank you .

"the gardener that shares his knowledge and seeds will themselves have the best garden "

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back