1989 Batman Batsuit Vault

collector74

Well I am about to purchase/build my second batsuit, 1989 Keaton, and I was thinking of seeing if making the Vault in the movie would be somewhat reasonable/possible. You can tell in some of the pics it looks like parts were made of wood, but any info would be great. Thinking of making the actual vault out of wood and making the door out of a mixture of wood/metal/plastic if I could possibly get some of the parts 3D printed. Here are some pics and any suggestions and/or help would be great as well.

EDIT: Would also love some dimensions.

fanvisit12_zps9724b564.jpgBatman-1989-0881.jpgBatman-1989-0823.jpgVAULT_zps4e60cfa7.jpg

The hard part will be trying to figure out the dimensions. I may not be able to do a screen accurate size as I do not know how I would be able to move it once it is built, I mean there is no way it would go through a door without taking it apart. I am not going to make it in my "man cave" either. Would be one heck of a mess. I might just have to build and paint it then take it apart and re-assemble.

EDIT: Thinking of doing this one instead just because I think it is more feasible. Anyone know the dimensions of the footprint of this thing?
uDAlA2i.jpg

Last edited:
If you have a basement with high ceilings the '89 version would be much cooler.
The whole thing is feasible made out of wood for the most part. Adding a real locking mechanism would put it over the top.

The surface finish is where you would want to faux metal finish up or even wrap the outside of the box and door with light sheetmetal.

The Nolan version seems to look like a Toy Fair Display more than a vault. t seems you need to decide how you want to present your suit.

One seems more like a a valuable piece in a vault, the other seems like a display piece at a high end store.

Either way a cool way to display a suit.

The was an Amoire/closet build for a suit. This was total badassery

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=157632

BTW you can pull the rough size of the vault from the crate it's sitting on.

Sad part is, I do not have a basement. The "man cave" is actually an unused bedroom. The more I think about it, I think I am going to do a custom "bat vault". It would be like the Begins armoire with it being made out of wood, but the doors would open like the TDK one from the side. If I do go with wood, I am debating if I want to have a dark cherry stain, or go black. I don't know. I may just make it the way I want and make it look like metal, add some bolt ends with nuts or faux rivets around the edges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is my first concept. The doors would hinge on the sides, so when they open, the sides will be facing the front and the inside of the front of the doors would be facing each other. I have other ideas, just trying to figure which one I want to actually build. The next one has a cool moving lock mechanism on the front.
bat vault1.jpg

Here is the second idea. Still mostly made of wood, but with a center locking mechanism and a num pad door knob that will actually lock it.
bat vault2.jpg

Last edited:
Personaly I would build a scaled version of the 89 vault along as your costume fits inside it doesn't have to be to scale :)

I would love to, but I am not a wood working master. I do not know how to soak and bend wood as I think you would have to for parts of the door and inside frame. Unless anyone would have ideas.

Also does anyone have anymore detailed pics of the 1989 vault?

I would love to, but I am not a wood working master. I do not know how to soak and bend wood as I think you would have to for parts of the door and inside frame. Unless anyone would have ideas.

Also does anyone have anymore detailed pics of the 1989 vault?

I'd say you could build it using simplistic methods if you have the patience. The front can be done with different level layers and you can sand the to blend or curve.
The lock wheel and bolts can be store bought if you don't mind then not working

Don't know about that photo, but in the screencap we have Michael Gough whom imdb lists as 5'11". I'm going to hazard a guess that the vault may be just over 7 feet.

Good choice of vault, btw. It'll go great with the 89 suit!

Found them years ago, I think on the now defunct site batmanunmasked.com ? Can't recall. I was going to make a miniature version of the vault door to use as a Batman 89 weapons display; never got around to it.

The hard part will be trying to figure out the dimensions. I may not be able to do a screen accurate size as I do not know how I would be able to move it once it is built, I mean there is no way it would go through a door without taking it apart. I am not going to make it in my "man cave" either. Would be one heck of a mess. I might just have to build and paint it then take it apart and re-assemble.

EDIT: Thinking of doing this one instead just because I think it is more feasible. Anyone know the dimensions of the footprint of this thing?
View attachment 581640

If the costume without the ears is 6' high as a reference, I would say it's about 4'5" wide
Judging from the boots (mine being 12" toe to heel) I'd say just over 2' deep give or take a few for the back wall
From the costume, I'd say it would be about 7'6" tall

uDAlA2i Ref.jpg

Just my 2 cents

Thanks to gregday with the "blueprints", I think I can manage making this. Use wood for everything minus the nuts and cylindrical pieces. I am thinking of using pvc to make those. The only piece that will be a challenge will be the handle. Maybe get someone to 3D print?

Using the photo with the pallet, assuming the pallet is 40 inches long if it is a "deckboard" pallet, that would make the vault roughly 9-9.5 feet tall using the photo, if the pallet is a "stringer" then it woul dbe 48 inches would make the vault ~11-11.5 feet tall. Neither seem to be accurate. After doing some more math, I believe that is it around 7.5-8 feet tall

Re-working the layout.
batvault blueprints3.jpg

Last edited:
maybe a navy surplus or old ship door could get you the authentic looking knob? look up vault or submarine or nautical hatch wheel.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back