Another Kylo Ren Lightsaber Build! FINISHED

Triple 8 Props

Right from that first teaser trailer of The Force Awakens, I loved Kylo's lightsaber. Then after seeing the film several times, I decided I needed to try my hand at building the saber.

For this build, I opted for a 3D print because I knew I wanted it to be quick and building it from scratch would have been quite the process. However, I am not the biggest fan of raw 3D printed pars so I knew I'd be spending a lot of time hiding any signs of it being 3d printed.

The print itself was ordered off of Etsy from a seller named 6123D. The print was fifteen bucks and mostly accurate (the back is actually very inaccurate so don't get it if you want perfect accuracy).

I started by giving the print a quick sand to get rid of any major imperfections and I also re-sculpted some details with Apoxie Sculpt that were lost in the printing process.
IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

I also gave it two coats of Smooth-On's XTC-3D. This stuff is absolutely incredible and really allowed me to accelerate the clean-up process.

IMG_1167.jpg

Now, I gave the parts a coat of primer. Unfortunately, it's the middle of Winter here and while there isn't snow, it is too cold for spray paint to dry properly. This is why I bought myself an airbrush kit. I also got some airbrush primer to go along with that and now I can paint props without Mother Nature getting in my way.

IMG_1169.jpg

Now began the process of sanding, spot puttying, sanding, painting, sanding, puttying, sanding, painting . . .

IMG_1172.jpg

That's all I've got for now but I'll be updating soon.

Last edited:
Re: Another Kylo Ren Lightsaber Build! WIP

I continued the long process of cleaning up the 3D print with filler and primer. Somewhere in that process I took a quick break to throw together a plexiglass (I think it's plexiglass) stand for the saber to sit horizontally. It's just 5 pieces super glued together.

IMG_1174.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

Now back to the saber! I gave it one final coat of white primer (still using that airbrush) and then I attached the main body pieces but I left the side emitters off so I could paint them separately. I filled in gaps between pieces with Apoxie Sculpt but it's difficult to see on the white primer.

IMG_1185.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

Now the real painting began (because that primer nonsense doesn't count). I started with a base coat of flat black on the entire thing. This was done with Tamiya Acrylic paint thinned down and sprayed through my airbrush.

IMG_1186.jpg

Now various pieces were masked off and brush painted with more Tamiya acrylic and some Testor's gold enamel.

IMG_1187.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

Then I started to paint those super controversial side emitters. I based most of this paint job off of the Wired article I mentioned in the first post. The first step was a silver dusting on the edges. Again, this was Tamiya acrylic in my airbrush.

IMG_1190.jpg

Now some gold was sprayed where that silver faded off.

IMG_1191.jpg

Lastly, a thin blue line was added to simulate metal discoloration.

IMG_1192.jpg

A bit of flat black was added to cover some of my over-spray. They kind of look ludicrous now but after weathering they'll look much better, trust me.

IMG_1193.jpg

Now weathering! I started with some silver drybrushing and some oil paint washes.

IMG_1194.jpg

More oils and acrylics got it to this.

IMG_1196.jpg

That's all for now! It's really almost done, it just needs a bit more grime and some clear coat.

Very inspiring stuff here! How did you get the silver weathering on certain bits? Didn't see you mention anything about that.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back