Are these the vintage T-tracks we've been looking for?

Sym-Cha

Master Member
In all the years I've been researching T-tracks, purchasing real vintage and replicas in plastic and
metal, withholding the urge to finish my vintage G R A F L E X for Luke ANH as well as my vintage
MPP with any of them ... I still was in for quite a discovery on the last day of 2015. As always when
you're not searching consiously you just happen to stumble on an interesting auction. In this case
one with real black plastic vintage T-tracks coming from cupboards residing in the United Kingdom.

Now before I jump to those pictures I'd like to take this opportunity to show you all the kinds of
T-tracks with their profiles I have gathered over the years in no particular order :

Rubbery T-tracks possibly from TFX Australia (?) :

T-track-09_zpsqfqceeqt.JPG

Rubber T-tracks by Blast-Tech :

T-track-08_zpszyea0rcs.JPG

Metal T-tracks by King of Parts from Canada/USA (?) :

T-track-07_zpslvutxoys.JPG

Hard rubber T-tracks maker unknown from USA (?) :

T-track-06_zpsamwvtnsj.JPG

Hard plastic black T-tracks by GINO from USA :

T-track-05_zpsktggfg3i.JPG

Hard plastic black T-tracks by Roy from Netherlands :

T-track-03_zpszvofbu5z.JPG

Folded metal vintage T-tracks from cupboards in Australia :

T-track-04_zps3f0tfas2.JPG

Hard brown plastic found vintage T-tracks from Saberfreak :

T-track-02_zpszyrglypa.JPG

And eventhough I had no intention to bid on the auction,mainly because I had no use for all the
other ESB parts mostly coming from Roy's shop so I did contact the seller with a huge request in
regards to the backstory of his find. After some lovely PM's and emails ... it became clear that the
seller, who's also a member here, had an extra set of 7 grips . . . long story short . . . we swaped
parts and greeblies . . . and I became the lucky chap with my hands on real vintage black plastic
T-tracks. So without further delay . . . here's my recent lucky discovery and very huge revelation.

Hard black plastic vintage T-tracks from cupboards in United Kingdom :

T-track-01_zpsgpuaewen.JPG

Now what's so unique about these T-tracks?

Ever since it was suggested on www.partsofsw.com that the black grips used for lightsabers in
ANH/ESB although their exact identity of the grip material had yet to be determined revelations
suggested the hard black plastic T-track might come from old cupboards with sliding doors . . .
sofar the best looking profile in black plastic had not been found and revealed . . . until now. On
the left GINO's replica . . . center Vintage T-tracks . . . and Roy's replica on the right :

T-track-11_zpslz226eve.JPG

T-tracks in profile :

T-track-10_zpsey45mieo.JPG

Here again with Saberfreak's vintage brown plastic next to the vintage black plastic T-tracks :

T-track-12_zpsoi8wnokh.JPG

Notice how there's no glue-channel in either of the vintage parts . . . and one side, left from the
center rib, is a bit thinner towards the edge :

T-track-13_zpsr5haeso1.JPG

Question : Do I claim these recently found black plastic vintage T-tracks to be the exact same parts used in the
making of the lightsabergrips for the movies?

Answer : No. While the profile looks okay ... the size is 11.5 mm for the bottom and the height 6.5 mm for the
center rib. And eventhough we know the same kind of T-tracks may have been used for the E-11 stormtrooper
blasters . . . after some inquiry I learned the hole sizes are 11 mm in real vintage E-11 guns, so it looks like the
T-tracks should be a bit wider than 11.5 mm im size, however I suppose that's an entirely different discussion :

SterlingE-1127_zpsf583dbf2.jpgoriginal_zpsjxwkdyav.JPG

(Picture Courtesy JKNO)

So are these vintage T-tracks coming from cupboards in the UK the closest thats we've ever come in regards to
material hard black plastic and profile? ... most certainly. Am I happy enough to put these on one of my vintage
flashguns? Absolutely :)

Chaim

Last edited:
very cool write up Chaim!! never saw the tracks on the gun bend like they before, very interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice research thread, Chaim, and nice collection. The measurements are slightly off, but it's cool to see! It makes the suggestion that it's a cupboard track more realistic.

Chaim, have you ever held Todds track? I'd like to see how it compares to the real deals we have here

Nope Tom, ... I can't say I have ... have you got some? Though I'll check his website now but probably won't order ... I've got plenty to fulfill my needs :)

Chaim

Chaim, have you ever held Todds track? I'd like to see how it compares to the real deals we have here

this is off topic, but man tom you look so different with ur avatar change! I'm still not use to it lol

chaim, i really love the attention to detail you always strive for. for as long as I've been around you have been admit about the cupboard. your research has really paid off. with your hard work, and dedication i truly believe you will go down in history as the one to discover the original T tracks! keep up the great work buddy! :thumbsup

Well according to Todd's Costumes own words and research and I quote : "One thing I noticed is that the end profile, when visible, is clearly asymmetrical. To be sure that I was correct, I compared photos of this track used on lightsabers, and blasters used by Boba Fett and storm troopers. I saw the same asymmetry enough times to confirm it. I incorporated this into my design. It's a small detail you will likely miss unless you are looking for it."

Todds%20Custom%20T-tracks.jpg_zpsrs3nxxck.PNG

I don't really see what he means ... I never noticed that asymmetry ... would love to see his research pictures ... but it clearly sets his T-tracks apart from other vendors :)

Chaim

Last edited:
He means on the left side ridge, where the flat "T" half/wing meets the protrusion; it's a lot steeper than the one on the right, so he says and so he sees. His also sports a shorter right wing/side/whatever terminology is used.

I posted this in another thread but they're good options for T-tracks, if whoever's in the market for them. They're the cheapest I've come across. But, personal preference-wise, I prefer Roy's. His are just a shade darker than Todd's and his feel a lot more robust and sturdy to hold.

Thanks ... I can see what he did with his own T-tracks ... I meant I don't see what he means in regards to the original vintage T-tracks used (see E-11 blaster above) and in other research pictures, hence my curiosity to see his research photographs :)

Chaim

do you all believe these T tracks are soft rubber? or did they heat the plastic to make this turn?
SterlingE-1127_zpsf583dbf2.jpgoriginal_zpsjxwkdyav.jpg

To me it looks like they added heat to hard plastic T-tracks ... however I have evidence that apart from some E-11 having real vintage T-tracks ... Bapty also made their own aluminium T-tracks for the many blasters needed as props on set by stormtroopers :wacko

BaptyE-11StomtrooperBlaster01_zpsf2280d61.jpgoriginal_zpsujfosobq.JPG

Prop%20Store%20Stormtrooper%20blaster%2001_zps5eytg4sy.jpgoriginal_zpszfysjzrg.JPG

(Pictures Courtesy JKNO)

Chaim

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back