The NOT SO CHEAP but SUPER EASY GUIDE to building Kylo Ren

I bet an updated Black Series Kylo helmet is also ok for the 501st and will look better as the Anovos from painting.
And its only 70$.;)
I am aware that the Black Series helmet is accepted by the 501st because it is the only helmet currently available. We haven't even received the Anovos yet. However as the title states, this is NOT THE CHEAP WAY of building a Kylo Ren Cosplay.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I'm gonna get ready to order the neck seal that you have listed. I've looked at a lot of other ones and the leather one she makes is beautiful. Obviously vinyl or wool would be easier to work with, but it seems to be screen accurate leather is needed.

check my original post. i will have a picture of the neck seal posted. we just received it today!

Does anyone have opinions on Imperial Boots vs Giovanni's boots? It seems like the Imperial Boots are the way to go but they are changing servers right now and I can't get an order in to them.

I personally have found the imperial boots to be better. They did a great job concealing the tie up down the front. I didn't even know it was there until further inspection. the front if very securely Velcro on and the boots are immaculate.

- - - Updated - - -

I went ahead and ordered my neck seal from CreativeArtShop. Also, I went ahead and ordered the Endorfinders gloves as well. After looking around at pictures they are absolutely perfect and to me are worth the money since they are Level 2 501st certified. As far as the belt goes has anyone found a better version than the PHProps one yet? I've noticed he also has the lightsaber clip too although it's not functional.

Very happy to see this list has worked well for you!! Thanks for looking!

- - - Updated - - -

Love the info, would totally do it if I were to spend that kind of money. But for now, less than $500 got me this.

View attachment 589007View attachment 589009

Not perfect, but doable. Thanks for posting the info, if I ever upgrade I know where to go!

Im glad you have enjoyed our list!! Congrats on the Costume!

- - - Updated - - -

Another option for pants and they are male. Akademiks Men's Robertson Waxed Denim Jean available on amazon $34.99. Look really good. The reviews say they run small but mine fit me perfect. Have a really good shine to them.

View attachment 586475

Glad to see you have found an option that works for you!

check my original post. i will have a picture of the neck seal posted. we just received it today!

Awesome! Looking forward to getting mine as well! I too ordered the Endorfinders gloves. Lots of comparing done as well and found these two items to be the "best" in their class.

I personally have found the imperial boots to be better. They did a great job concealing the tie up down the front. I didn't even know it was there until further inspection. the front if very securely Velcro on and the boots are immaculate.

This kind of mirrors what I've seen too in pictures and such. I will be ordering the Imperial Boots boots as well once their new website comes up.

- - - Updated - - -

On the belt clip PH Props recommends the JJ Industries belt clip if you want a functional one. So, I guess that settles that. lol

Got my PH Props belt and buckle ordered as well as the JJ Industries saber clip. Done a lot of digging around and found these two places to be the "best" in their class as well. I haven't seen anyone besides JJ that's doing a functional clip and the PH Props belt and buckle (and clip) look beautiful as well. Haven't seen anything yet that rivals the quality of these two items.

EDIT: Just placed my order for the soft parts from Katja as well. From what I've seen her costume blows away all the others out there, especially because it's the correct fabric to match the movie costume if you go with the Tier 3 501st setup!

Last edited:
So far I've got on order:

CreativeArtShop's geniune leather neck seal in size 37cm (expected around end of March)
Endorfinders Gloves V2 in medium Run #5 (expected around end of March)
PHProps belt and buckle in medium (no clip) (expected around middle of March)
JJ Industries functional light saber clip Run #3 (expected around middle of March)
Imperial Boots K.Boots Version 5 in US 10.5 (expected around end of March)
Akademiks Men's Robertson black waxed denim jeans 32W X 32L (expected on 2/22)
KatjaVonDesigns surcoat, midcoat, robe, and cape/cowl/hood in custom measurements with Tier 3 501st Certification specs (no belt) (expected end of March)

I've already got the Black Series helmet in my possession and will be starting to modify it soon.

I'm very glad you put this list together. Although it's not the cheapest way to build this costume, the parts, IMO, are probably the best quality and screen accuracy you can get.

Last edited:
Its its almost the same as my build. :)

When did you order from Katja?
I haven't heard from her for quite some time.

So far I've got on order:

CreativeArtShop's geniune leather neck seal in size 37cm (expected around end of March)
Endorfinders Gloves V2 in medium Run #5 (expected around end of March)
PHProps belt and buckle in medium (no clip) (expected around middle of March)
JJ Industries functional light saber clip Run #3 (expected around middle of March)
Imperial Boots K.Boots Version 5 in US 10.5 (expected around end of March)
Akademiks Men's Robertson black waxed denim jeans 32W X 32L (expected on 2/22)
KatjaVonDesigns surcoat, midcoat, robe, and cape/cowl/hood in custom measurements with Tier 3 501st Certification specs (no belt) (expected end of March)

I've already got the Black Series helmet in my possession and will be starting to modify it soon.

I'm very glad you put this list together. Although it's not the cheapest way to build this costume, the parts, IMO, are probably the best quality and screen accuracy you can get.

Its its almost the same as my build. :)

When did you order from Katja?
I haven't heard from her for quite some time.

Order went in about a week ago. Obviously she's busy with her builds, but it seems every couple days she's able to get back to me about stuff. I just put the order in and asked her the lead time. She said it should be done around the end of March. I'll probably send her another message in a week or so just to see if it's still on track.

Thank you.
I ordered 8 weeks ago, and still wait for her to Start.
I wish you best of luck with your order. I hope she can fulfill her promises.

Thank you.
I ordered 8 weeks ago, and still wait for her to Start.
I wish you best of luck with your order. I hope she can fulfill her promises.

There's a good chance she's underway with your project at this point. I know she mentioned her father in law passed away last week so she had been busy dealing with that. I've found as with any custom item it takes time, most of the time longer than you want it to take which I why I don't plan on wearing mine for another 2.5 months from now. Since the rest of the pieces won't be here until then I'm not too stressed about it right now, but will keep a careful eye on it.

Some kylo parts I can have made for people. Here are some recent photos from this past Sat from C2E2.

~

~

Attachments

• 1914723_10208683859723229_2756217928982861827_n.jpg
    1914723_10208683859723229_2756217928982861827_n.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 1935179_10208683863603326_5685978776866141932_n.jpg
    1935179_10208683863603326_5685978776866141932_n.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 101
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back