My jawa build with blaster and droid caller

Re: My jawa build with blaster and droid caller (WIP)

image.jpeg

This is the result of my 2 rit dark brown to 1 sunshine orange dye job.

good lord this is fantastic stuff! WOW! I love your weathering technique!!!

Do you mind sharing your technique for weathering the wood stock? I was shocked when I saw how beautifully done that was.

thx for the comments guys!

The stock didn't get anything too special. I beat it up some with coarse sandpaper first and put scratches and nicks on it. Then I just used a few of coats of watery acrylic paint on it in dark brown / rust colors, wiping it on like you would apply stain, but also blotting it with a rag to give it some variation. Then after the paint was done, I went back with fine sandpaper and knocked some of the paint off on the edges to make it look worn around those areas.

Last edited:

More progress getting made on the remaining parts.

After lengthy dye swatch testing, I decided on 2 bottles Rit dark brown, 2 bottles cocoa brown and 2 sunshine orange in 12 gallons of water.

Here are all the formulas I tried, with the one I used in the lower right. It is much more of a rusty, reddish brown than it looks in the swatch pic, which is what I was going for. All the test formulas were done in 1 cup of water.

jawa-costume-dye.jpg jawa-costume-dye.jpg jawa-costume-monks-cloth-fabric.jpg jawa-robe-dye.jpg

6 yards ended up not being enough fabric, fortunately, I figured that out before dying and ran out to get some more monk's cloth to give me enough for the hood. Dying this much fabric was a major pain. It took me all day and the heavy wet fabric was hard to work with. I will look at the pre-dyed brown monk's cloth if I ever make another one.

diy-jawa-robe.jpg jawa-robe-sleeves.jpg

Since the width of the fabric was too short, I made the robe body from a section length wise and folded over with the neck opening cut in the top. Then I marked the location where the sleeve would start under the arm and cut down the sides of the robe to remove some of the material, leaving a short sleeve from the remainder of the width that I used to check the armpit sleeve attachment location. Once I was happy with it, I cut out the openings for the sleeves and attached them. I left them long then marked and trimmed them up with the robe on.

jawa-hood.jpg jawa-hood-side.jpg

I wanted to make a mock up of the hood first, so I could check the size and shape of it, so I used some gray felt I had laying around.
I still need to tweak the front neck area, work out the ties and the opening might still be a little large. I used 14 gauge wire to hold the shape. I see a lot of people suggesting coaxial cable, but to me the face opening looks a little too perfectly round when that is used.

jawa-costume-boots.jpg jawa-boots2.jpg jawa-boots.jpg

Boots were done using a slip on boot with a flat sole, she no longer wears. I used hot glue to attach the fabric strips, wrapping the entire boot and using a coat of shoe goo on the bottom to hold the strips on the sole. Using a plastic spreader, I applied 2 more coats of shoe goo over the sole fabric to protect it. It took 2 of the large tubes of shoe goo and a ton of hot glue sticks, but the boots are done (except for weathering). The shoe goo method was suggested by someone on the Krayt Clan forum and it worked out pretty well.

ammo-pouch.jpg

Decided the costume needed a 2nd bandolier, so I got this K98 German WW 2 ammo pouch off of ebay. I like the rivets on it and the dark color to contrast the brown of the other bandolier. My plan is to make a 2 - 2 1/2" leather strap for it to cross the chest and then add a clip to the strap at the right hip so the blaster can hang from it if she gets tired of holding it.

I also made a small strap our of leather to go around the 1903 bandolier, that holds the droid caller.....Pic coming soon.

She's complaining about the heat around her face inside the mask. So if anyone has suggestions on how to add a (9v ?) battery powered fan to my foam mask creation, please post it up.

For now my idea is to try to glue in another small piece of foam to hold the mask fabric out away from her nose and mouth so more air gets in there.

....more progress coming soon.

Last edited:

To hang the droid caller from the bandolier, I just made a small strap from leather and dyed it brown. I wanted something that could be removed from the bandolier and could attach to it without any damage. I just put 2 snaps on the strap, 1 holds it to the bandolier and 1 creates a loop to go through the D ring.

jawa-droid-caller.jpg jawa-droid-caller2.jpg

I cut these leather pieces out to make the strap to hang the blaster from and hold the ammo pouch. The pouch looks black, but it's actually very dark brown and I will dye the strap the same dark color. I purchased some antique brass rivets to connect the pieces and a spring clip to attach the blaster at her hip.

jawa-bandolier-strap.jpg

Last edited:

IMG_1070.JPG

This is the sound glove i made using the happytrooper DIY video:

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxr5Myxsx8U[/video]

if you're not familiar with these, it's a sound board that stores audio clips, connected to 4 buttons on a glove that activate each of the sounds. The board is connected to a small rechargable speaker under her top. The entire thing is covered by a black arm sleeve and glove.

IMG_1071.JPG
Finished boots ready for weathering.

IMG_1073.JPG IMG_1074.JPG

Did a full try on to check the hood and mark the front location for the closure, with the front held together the opening will be a little smaller...It's coming together.

i've got the ammo pouch and strap assembled....more pics coming soon.

Last edited:

Thank you!

started weathering the boots, but i think they will get more.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Also made a pouch from some extra monks cloth and a leather tie from one of the boots. Now she has a place to keep halloween candy and star wars coins to give out to kids.

jawa-pouch.jpg

Last edited:

Halloween was a trial run for this costume and the kids loved it. They kept calling her a "sand person" but at least they were in the ballpark. Considering the movie was nearly 40 years ago, I'll accept "sand person" from a 7 year old. The sound glove really makes the entire costume interactive and the kids went nuts every time she did the jawa sounds. I loaded 4 phrases about 8 seconds each on the soundboard with one that has intermittent single sounds that run for around 2 minutes. She can hit that button and just let it run until the end when she wants.

jawa1.jpg jawa2.jpg jawa3.jpg jawa4.jpg

I still need to do a couple things like attach the hood to the top of the mask with Velcro so it stays in position and probably connect the 2 bandoliers together in back so they don't slide around. I will probably go heavier on the weathering also, it has more that it looks in the pics, but could still use a little more. But for now, I'm calling this one DONE and i'm moving on to an Osha the wildling costume from Game of thrones.

Last edited:

That looks great!!! Where did you buy the monk's cloth material?

Totally awesome!! I can’t believe the parts you used for the ion blaster. I would have never known. You did such an amazing paint job and I love the plasma ball idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back