Anakin Starkiller vs Solo's Hold Luke V2 Saber (Plus D-ring, Card & Paint Help/Info)

D3adrock

Hi, like the title says, who makes the best and most accurate Luke V2 replica? Solo's hold, russrep, or anakin starkiller? Pics are very welcome. Thanks! Also does anyone know when the V2 lost its second sidebar on the graflex clamp? Was it like that during the film or did that only happen later on? Thanks!

Last edited:
Re: Russrep vs Solo's Hold vs Anakin Starkiller Luke V2 Saber replica?

Anakin Starkiller's is the most accurate to the actual prop.

I have Solo's Hold's and it looks very accurate, but it's hollow and designed for electronics.

So if you just want a static prop, go Starkiller. If you want to eventually have lights and sounds, go Solo.

Here's my Solo's Hold.

IMG_6976.jpg

I'll second what's posted above. I have an Anakin Starkiller V2 and it is very nearly a duplicate of the real prop, down to the spinning parts.

The Graflex without a sidebar can be seen in ANH, so it goes back at least that far. I have seen graflexes with the square nut instead of a sidebar so it may have come that way out of the junk-box before filming. Graflex may have even offered these nuts as replacement parts for photographers if someone loses a sidebar, but I'm just shooting off now

Attachments

• DSCN3256.jpg
    DSCN3256.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 322
  • DSCN3263.JPG
    DSCN3263.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 383
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 369
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 390

Thanks for that! That makes my decision clear. And boy am I happy that starkiller is doing another run! Although I don't believe that the nuts were ever offered separately. Although I could double check since I own an original parts catalog for graflex flashes and could take a look and maybe upload some pics if anyones interested. I remember that they definitely sold clamps separately (if only they still did eh?)

I was going by this, seeing as it's not connected to star wars, so they at least existed outside the SW effects team.
1517065_1449169732075201_208460989_n.jpg

Although I don't believe that the nuts were ever offered separately. Although I could double check since I own an original parts catalog for graflex flashes and could take a look and maybe upload some pics if anyones interested. I remember that they definitely sold clamps separately (if only they still did eh?)

I'd find that info interesting if you feel like scanning catalog pages. I'm sure others here would as well. I'd be curious to know about variations in parts like the red button and glass eye.

I guess that photographer somehow lost the outer sidebar but due to the fact that square nut is the actual counterpart of the screw/lever it stayed in place :wacko

Chaim

Although I could double check since I own an original parts catalog for graflex flashes and could take a look and maybe upload some pics if anyones interested. I remember that they definitely sold clamps separately (if only they still did eh?)

Yes me too!

I'd find that info interesting if you feel like scanning catalog pages. I'm sure others here would as well. I'd be curious to know about variations in parts like the red button and glass eye.
I guess that photographer somehow lost the outer sidebar but due to the fact that square nut is the actual counterpart of the screw/lever it stayed in place :wacko

Chaim
Yes me too!

Sure! Here you go! Sorry their not scans but these pics should do for now.
Image.jpgImage 3.jpgImage 2.jpgImage 1.jpgImage 4.jpgThe rest of the pages are just graflite parts lists, let me know if y'all are also interested in that.

In exchange however i'd like sym-cha's opinion on d-rings, since as far as I know he is colloquially known as "the d-ring master". I have recently found myself in the need of a d-ring for my obi-wan saber and possibly for a luke V2 however I was asking around and I was told that maybe one of roy's d'rings for his Luke ANH saber would also work for an obi-wan since they were built at the same time, however I think that it would be too thin to be accurate however I don't really know. What is your opinion? Also would that be the appropriate d-ring for a Luke V2? Enlighten us D-ring master sym-cha!

Last edited:
Re: Russrep vs Solo's Hold vs Anakin Starkiller Luke V2 Saber replica? (Plus D-ring H

Here's what a D-ring should look like for OB1 ... not certain if Roy's are the same in size though :

ASHandwheelD-Ring01.jpg

(Picture courtesy Howard)

Roy's D-rings are perfect for a V2 and perhaps also for OB1. Maybe he can replicate the above picture with one of his D-rings to be certain? ... As for V2 just ask for one without a clip. Roy's D-rings are not to thin ... about 2.5 mm which is perfect :)

Chaim

Last edited:
Re: Russrep vs Solo's Hold vs Anakin Starkiller Luke V2 Saber replica? (Plus D-ring H

Here's what a D-ring should look like for OB1 ... not certain if Roy's are the same in size though :

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/Sym-Cha/ASHandwheelD-Ring01.jpg
(Picture courtesy Howard)

Roy's D-rings are perfect for a V2 and perhaps also for OB1. Maybe he can replicate the above picture with one of his D-rings to be certain? ... As for V2 just ask for one without a clip :)

Chaim
It would be great for me if they ended up being the same since I already have 4 of them! But I will ask roy's opinion for confirmation.

As I just edited ... Roy's D-rings are not to thin ... about 2.5 mm which is perfect ... and since you have his D-ring already you could replicate that picture with your own vintage handwheel and compare :)

Chaim

As I just edited ... Roy's D-rings are not to thin ... about 2.5 mm which is perfect ... and since you have his D-ring already you could replicate that picture with your own vintage handwheel and compare :)

Chaim
Doh, I can't believe I didn't think of that! You're right. At least visually to me they seem to fit perfectly! However I guess I should still wait for an experts opinion! Do you think that the d-ring on the obi-wan and the V2 are the same?

As I said in a PM ... contact James Kenobi 1138 ... he's the OB1 guru around here ... and most likely since both the V2 and OB1 were made for ANH the D-rings could be from the exact same batch :)

Chaim

As I said in a PM ... contact James Kenobi 1138 ... he's the OB1 guru around here ... and most likely since both the V2 and OB1 were made for ANH the D-rings could be from the exact same batch :)

Chaim

that would be my exact bet as well! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chaim
Already done!

I personally love my Starkiller V2. if I had some extra cash I'd jump on his second run right now so I could give it a ANH paint job and have both versions

what I love about it is it's built exactly like it was in the film with the rotating emitter.

I personally love my Starkiller V2. if I had some extra cash I'd jump on his second run right now so I could give it a ANH paint job and have both versions

what I love about it is it's built exactly like it was in the film with the rotating emitter.

Stahp you guys, you're making me antsy for the V2. I already signed up and now I can't wait!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I just got word from James, he's said that he personally got his d rings from tandy leather and he also said that all three d-rings on the Luke ANH , Obi-wan and V2 are the same! So I guess my d-ring problem resolved itself! Now all I need is someone who can drill and install it on my OB-1 handwheel. I guess that goes for the V2 as well.

I guess this sort of leads me to another question. What is the best most durable paint for a V2 (should I make this a separate thread)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back