double-studio scale size Y-Wing fighter (1/12th)

Another check on how the seperate parts work to gether. My details ride a wee bit lower when compared to the original model, I want my double-sized Y-Wing Fighter to look a bit sleeker and somewhat less clunky in some areas.

_DSC1833 comparison.jpg

Had a two-day excursion into 1/2700th scale detail. :)
Recently received the Zvezda Star Destroyer kit and couldn't resist adding some detail to the SD front bridge section.

101 parts for Zvezda SD bridge front.jpg Zvezda SD bridge detailed.jpg AC SD bridge before-after.jpg

Afterwards jumped back to the other end of the spectrum and returned to 1/12th scale detailing again. The shovels on ILM's Y-Wings are a bit too obvious for my taste, so I cut off the blade and made it look a bit more technical:

_DSC1895 comparison.jpg

Looks like the idea of a 1/12th scale Y-Wing fighter is catching on, there's one at Wonderfest 2017 right now!
Not detailed and painted the way I would have done it, but not bad. It's a shame the engine rods are hanging down, the builder must have miscalculated the weight of the engine's rear vanes & shroud.

Thanks for the kind words and posts, Stormy320 & joberg! More to come soon, currently gutting & sorting a decade's worth of cheap kits to make room in the cellar for the workbench - then I'll be able to start on the metal frame. :)

Am currently not getting much modeling done but very busy. Gutted and sorted about 30 ship kits, with some details found for the 12th scale Y-Wing, and lots of parts for the Galactica, the I.S.A.S Callisto and the Astromining ship. It takes a lot of time, but good for a number of projects. Not many are suited for the large Y-Wing, but have found a small pile of nice ones.
Cemented a handful of parts to my 1,20 meter Galactica before forgetting where they were supposed to go. (That has actually happened to me a number of times: lots of unstarted own design projects with loose parts resting in a box, and for the life of me can't remember where some of the parts were supposed to go.)

Quick phone camera pic, this is part of about 250 small piles spread throughout my room right at the moment:
20170605_142452 smaller.jpg

After these piles are put away and there is space again, it's on to gutting & sorting 40 armor kits. Takes a lot of time and not looking forward to it, but necessary.

How was it possible to take a pic of my work station:D;) Greeblies Central (that's how I call it)!

I dialed 'Greeblies Central' and used a Futurama travel tube. FOOMP! :D

Thanks to all the kit-gutting have placed and glued some details onto my Galactica. (Before I had a chance to forget where the went.) It was fun cementing on the old Gal, and still have a number of pieces to go.

AC Galactica front.jpg _DSC1913 redither crop w credit.jpg _DSC1939 comparison.jpg

Am simultaneously working on the Y-Wing's canopy guns & mount at the moment, pictures of it coming soon.

Update: finished the base for the top canopy twin guns, now it's on to the guns themselves. Need some specific parts and have ordered two kits, should be arriving in a few days.

AC top canopy guns base.jpg

Yikes, well, having seen this first hand (and having traveled with it 20 hours plus) I can say you are incorrect about any drooping. Unless the steel in those T Rods melted?

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your model one day.

Looks like the idea of a 1/12th scale Y-Wing fighter is catching on, there's one at Wonderfest 2017 right now!
Not detailed and painted the way I would have done it, but not bad. It's a shame the engine rods are hanging down, the builder must have miscalculated the weight of the engine's rear vanes & shroud.

Thanks for the kind words and posts, Stormy320 & joberg! More to come soon, currently gutting & sorting a decade's worth of cheap kits to make room in the cellar for the workbench - then I'll be able to start on the metal frame. :)

The dimensions & details of the top canopy guns are planned out, and construction of the metal framework has begun. I want the guns to be straight & sturdy, no bends or breaks when the model goes to exhibits:

_DSC1961 redither smaller.jpg

Been doing a lot of research, and here is little bit of info on the Y-Wing's top canopy guns:
It's interesting to note that all 'A New Hope' filming miniatures originally had the same top canopy guns, and every ANH Y-Wing model except for Gold 2 lost their top guns along the way, sometimes more than once.
So any pictures showing strange guns on top of the New Hope Y-Wing cockpits were just quick fixes, but not faithful to the original parts used by ILM.
It seems the more the models were exhibited, the more often the guns broke off - accurate or inaccurate.

top canopy guns.jpg

Lots of work recreating them in double studio scale size - for studio scale modelers it's just two parts - but for me it's over 80 parts, not counting the round base.

Currently alternating between putting together the forward fuselage's back plate (the recessed detail beneath the rear window) and the top canopy guns. Am jumping back and forth on the two, when the styrene cement is drying on one I switch to the other. DaveG's test print-out as a study model is of great help here. :)

More new pictures soon.

(Photo: the original 'Gold Leader' special effects model from ANH)

Gold Leader backplate.jpg

Checking the back plate detail on a double studio scale sized 3D testprint. Will be shaping the final version of the forward fuselage out of high density foam at a later date.
Not easy gathering kit parts and detailing in this size, quite a challenge but fun! :)

AC back plate detail.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back