double-studio scale size Y-Wing fighter (1/12th)

Andrew awesome thread thanks for sharing!!! :thumbsup I think all the parts
that are not exact will look the part, they are clean and with primer will really
show excellent detail!!

Thank you for your encouragement, 3d-builder! :)

Cleaned this picture up a little and am doing lots of homework studying the small details.

#VEH_IA_204_R redither.jpg

By the way, this underside picture is Gold 3 (MOM Tour)

Thanks to whoever shared the original picture! (Don't know where it's from - saved this to my drive a while ago.)

Thank you, Gag and joberg! :)

Have been cleaning up and making room in the cellar for the past few days, need more room than my desk affords to build this model. Once done also need to set up some power tools down there for working on the aluminum frame.

Have been collecting parts that fit for for a while now, it's a good thing not every part for this project needs to be scratch/bashed. Saves me a lot of time.

finished detail 01 redux.jpg

Looking at all kinds of pictures of Y-Wings. Interesting to see that (in the original unchanged version of ANH) Gold Leader has his Astromech droid in this shot.

Attack on first Death Star.jpg

Re: double-studio scale Y-Wing fighter (1/12th)

Is that an acrylic egg shape? What's the diameter and where did you get it?

Yes, they are acrylic eggs with a diameter of 14 centimeters. These are what initially kicked off the idea and have been collecting bits and parts for this project for quite some time now.
Back when I lived in Berlin I bought them in 2005 from a second-hand repairman's shop called 'Mr. 1000 Parts'. The owner had a bazillion used parts & bits for vacuum cleaners, toasters, coffee machines, etc. and his shop was a great place for people who wanted to find repair parts for their appliances. One day he threw out some stuff for 50 cents apiece. In a bin were two acrylic eggs (only the top halves, no bottom half) and I purchased them thinking they might be good for a large Y-Wing or maybe thrusters for a large spaceship model. When enough pieces came together over the years finally decided that a double-studio scale Y-Wing project was feasible.

Very, very nice!

Thank you, joberg! :)

The details for surrounding the droid socket are done.

_DSC1689 comparison to Y-wing.jpg

This picture is helpful as a quick proportions check between the individual parts:

_DSC1687 comparison to Y-wing.jpg

Since the model will be nearly 1,40 meters long and a weigh a bit, the side model mounts in the engines need to be quite sturdy because a lot of leverage will be working on the hook-up. Which is why the aluminum running through the pylons is as thick as I can get into the small available space.

pre-planning the interior frame.jpg

More to come,
Andrew

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back