double-studio scale size Y-Wing fighter (1/12th)

Re: double-studio scale Y-Wing fighter (1/12th)

How did I miss this crazy project:eek:cool Yep, my kind of scale! So far, so good. The greeblies look very good. Eager to see that bird completed of course (should be soon, right?):D

Thanks, joberg, but completed soon only in my dreams, I fear. :)
Much work to do, for a while have been doing my homework and looking at pictures of the original models, then scampering off and searching the parts bins for something fitting. Here's what I've scrounged together so far:
A table full of bags smaller.jpg

Last edited:

A 1:72 Saturn V was released a year or two ago... there's a bunch of parts for ya, especially the engine cans!

Thank you for the tip, Treadwell!
First started gathering parts for this in 2005, and when the announcement of the 1/72nd scale Saturn V came out originally planned on purchasing two kits - until I saw the price tag. :eekToo expensive for me.
Will be scratchbuilding the engines from plexiglas, cheaper and the model will have more stability that way.

This is another very ambitious project of yours.
I am so interested to see you chop the detailing parts.

Katsu

There is a bit of chopping going on and a lot still left to do, Katsuhiko-san. Will continue posting pictures of my progress. :thumbsup

Have spent the past three days going through parts bins and looking for detail parts. :facepalm (Is this the smily that is wiping sweat from his forehead? :lol )

The first picture shows my kitbash/scratchbuild of the 1/24th Airfix Harrier kit part that ILM used to detail the underside of the Y-wing - not a perfect copy but close enough for me. In the second photo the small partially assembled Y-wing is from the 1/72nd scale FineMolds kit. It gives an idea of how large the 1/12th version will be.

another kitbash-scratchbuild piece.jpg

FineMolds Y-wing 72nd scale plus 12th scale parts reduced.jpg

Update: today some more aluminum arrived, the left side are parts for the model's interior frame and the right side parts are for display & work mounts.
In the second picture: recently created another small detail part.

_DSC1510 plus 1511 plus 1512 plus Y-wing comparison.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks, joberg! Am chugging along and will post another picture tomorrow.

That 1/12th Harrier piece is great! If that's how the whole project is going, you'll have something very special at the end!
I'm just starting a 1/24th build, so I'll be following this with glee :)

Thank you, Lee!
The Y-wing is a cool subject, have you started yours and do you have a link? Would love to see your studio scale goodness in action. :thumbsup

I decided to re-do the Me 109 part, my first version (previously posted) has some nice detail but the new one is a bit closer to the original detail part.

Me109 part 12th scale comparison.jpg

Quick update: got a few new pieces done.
No fun filling & sanding. Doh!

Comparison 06 RI.jpg

Last edited:

Something I really appreciate is that you are adding additional detail with the larger scale. So you are truly building a 1/12 scale version of a full size fighter and not just a 2x version of the 1/24 scale model.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you, DaveG and joberg, much appreciated! :)

Here is a comparison at approximately the same angle to see how the parts work out. Also added a little height to the rear part since it was a bit low - a 6 millimeter brass rod needs to fit into the backside.

comparison double-size to studio scale.jpg

The Carrier A/C is 1/87th scale, it has just the right dimensions to be twice as large as the kit part ILM used for detailing the original Y-wing model.

OMG! (insert child like squeek of joy) Thank you for that link! they have a bunch of useful stuff there!

I love your build and can't wait for updates !

Thomas

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back