Grommash Build. Last Page new pics of the silicone glove. 01/25/2017

Re: Grommash by Alphatech Last Page new updates on "The Hand" 07/26/16

I just realized I never posted these. The Chain. That is crazy I just saw the date on this. I sculpted this almost a year ago and I'm just now getting it mounted.
chain.jpg
After doing a study of chains I found out that when chains start to fail the long sides start to collapse inward so the piece across the center helps to prevent the failure. There is your lesson on chains. I just thought it looked cool.
chain1.jpg
Getting it ready to mold
chain2.jpgchain3.jpg
Poured up in Smooth-Cast Onyx
chain4.jpg
Had to sculpt pieces to connect the chain to the back of the belt and to the bandolero.
chain5.jpgchain6.jpg
Here is that piece to connect to the bandolero after the paint. I had sculpted the rivets then later decided I would connect it to the leather with real rivets Sometimes you have to adapt. Test fitting the rivet. I tried to drill through my finger earlier. My wife thinks I'm not careful. What does she know.
chain7.jpgchain8.jpg
One of the first steps of the painting process is a coat of Killer Chrome. This stuff is awesome
chain9.jpg
I started working on this little piece when I realized I needed to be able to disconnect the chain from the belt. I found this little purse clasp that looked like it would work well.
I fabricated this aluminum base to except the clasp.
chain17.jpgchain18.jpg
From the backside of the belt.
chain19.jpg
I had to do a little re-sculpt over the areas where I connected the clasp.
chain20.jpg
It was also time to mount these medallions .
chain10.jpg
I guess I have to much time on my hands. I decided to bolt these to the shoulder piece so I fabricated a couple of pins and mounted some earth magnets to hold the skull onto the medallion. I wanted to be able to get at that bolt. I will probably wind up putting a couple of drops of glue on it anyway. It was a good exercise.
chain11.jpg
So here is the finished deal. Ok almost finished I still plan on finessing the rust effect on the whole thing.
chain12.jpgchain13.jpgchain14.jpgchain15.jpgchain16.jpg

That is all for now. I am still putting in many hours finishing the articulating hand. It has been very interesting. I think everyone will like the finished product. Thanks for checking out my build.

Last edited:
Re: Grommash by Alphatech Last Page updates "The Chain" 21 new photos 08/12/16

Here is the latest on the hand build.

A couple of photos on the almost finished piece.
linkagehand3.jpglinkagehand2.jpg

Here is an early test with the linkages

The structure of the finger done with 1/8 PVC. I love this stuff. Super glue bonds with it completely. The PVC breaks before the bond. I used Chicago screws on everything. They worked great for things like this because they come in 1/8inch increments so they tighten perfectly into place.

linkagehand5.jpglinkagehand12.jpg
Casting the knuckles and finger tips. They were done in Feather Lite Resin from Smooth on.
linkagehand7.jpglinkagehand8.jpglinkagehand9.jpg

These are the finger controls. They are made PVC couplings. The hands I have seen like this had the finger controls just hanging in place. I decided it was a good idea to connect then to the hand creating a fulcrum. It works really well.
linkagehand13.jpglinkagehand16.jpglinkagehand6.jpg

I was at the point when I needed to make the pinky. If I was at work I would have just placed the drawing in the copier and reduced it but I was not at work. I thought some of you might think this was interesting. I placed one copy of the drawing on my glass table and another of the same drawing on the chair under the table. I then placed a clear piece of plastic next to the drawing on the table. I had to close one eye and adjust where I was positioned then traced the lower drawing onto the clear plastic. I know it is weird but it worked.linkagehand11.jpglinkagehand10.jpglinkagehand18.jpg

Some closer looks at the fingers.

linkagehand17.jpglinkagehand1.jpg

People that know me will appreciate this photo. I heated up this coupling and stretched open one end so I could get my thumb in it without removing my rings. I just wanted to see if it could be done.linkagehand4.jpg

I decided to place a solid bar to hold my hand in place. I wanted to be able to just slide my hand in an go. By the way the total weight is 2.3 pounds. I'm planning on doing the glove in silicone so that will add quite a bit of weight. I'm doing my best to keep it lite.
linkagehand15.jpglinkagehand14.jpglinkagehand.jpg

Lastly a video of the movement. Sorry for the poor quality it had to be crunched when I texted then emailed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Grommash Build. Last Page updates Hand Mech Done 19 new pics 2 vids 08/20/2016

Your build is nothing short of amazing. Love your work sir.

Re: Grommash Build. Last Page updates Hand Mech Done 19 new pics 2 vids 08/20/2016

So here are the updates. I've been spending time on Gorehowl (Grommash's axe).

First off is Steve Wang's Grommash- Always my inspiration. I decide not to copy Steve axe axactly. There were a few things I wanted to make my own.
GOEHOWL.jpg

I built this armature out of some scraps around the garage. I heated up some clay and rolled it out to 3/4 inch thickness and cut out the basic shape.
gorehowlsculpt0.jpggorehowlsculpt.jpg

Then I placed it on the armature and started at it. I decided I would sculpt it as if it were cast in bronze.
gorehowlsculpt2.jpggorehowlsculpt1.jpggorehowlsculpt3.jpggorehowlsculpt4.jpggorehowlsculpt5.jpggorehowlsculpt6.jpg
gorehowlsculpt7.jpggorehowlsculpt8.jpg

This is where I started adding the sand cast details and of course flaws.
gorehowlsculpt9.jpggorehowlsculpt10.jpggorehowlsculpt11.jpggorehowlsculpt13.jpggorehowlsculpt15.jpg

This is the finished sculpt.
gorehowlsculpt12.jpg

I'll get the molding and casting guild up after lunch.

Re: Grommash Build. Last Page finally some updates. The axe (Gorehowl) 12/16/2016

wow, just finding out about this project. this hand is fantastic

Re: Grommash Build. Last Page finally some updates. The axe (Gorehowl) 12/16/2016

Thanks. Weirdly it is at 856,000 veiws on my facebook page. I guess people like hands.

On to the molding. I decided to mold this without dividing the sculpt. I brushed on Mold Max Stroke for 2 thin coats then one on coat thickened with cabosil. I did one coat of Epoxacoat fiberglass on each side for the mother mold (mold jacket). When it was ready I carefully used an exacto knife and cut along the edge of the blade and then all the way around.
gorehowlsculpt14.jpggorehowl5.jpggorehowl6.jpggorehowl8.jpggorehowl7.jpggorehowl9.jpg

While the fiberglass was curing I started on the handle. I actually made 2, one in styrofoam and one in wood. I am making a second one for a friend to bribe him to help me at a comic con when ever I get this done. I shaped the styrofoam then covered it with on coat of fiberglass. That worked great. The second one I cut a piece of plywood then glued and clamped the 2x6 cut outs to the plywood. I shaped that on my belt sander with 50 grit paper. That worked great also.
gorehowl10.jpggorehowl11.jpggorehowl12.jpggorehowl13.jpg

This was interesting here. I decided to dremel the edges of the fiberglass while the piece was still in the mold. I figured because I cut the mold if I dremeled it right to the edge things might fit together when I was done. I was right. The pictures of the seams were not touched once I took the pieces from the molds.
gorehowl9.jpggorehowl14.jpggorehowl17.jpggorehowl18.jpggorehowl21.jpg
gorehowl19.jpggorehowl20.jpg

Next I super glued the leading edge then packed a bead of Feather-lite epoxy putty behind it. This might have been overkill. Then I slipped the top of the handle in and glued the rest of the edges. The picture shown is just to show how the handle fits in place in the axe head. Next I positioned the handle where it needed to be and filled the head with 2 part rigid foam.
gorehowl16.jpggorehowl16a.jpggorehowl22.jpg

Here is a picture of the Blizzard statue axe and mine so far.
grom-axe-forweb.jpggorehowl2.jpg

I will get the axe skull build up very soon. That is all for now.

Here is the skull piece. I just finished the sculpt today. I will start molding it tomorrow. These first to pictures are of Steve Wangs Sculpt.
gorehowlskull2.jpggorehowlskull5.jpg

This I found this online and like the larger skull look, so thank you who ever created this art work
gorehowlskull1.jpg

Here is mine. I did some of my own stuff to it. I saw some art with the 2 spikes and really liked it.
gorehowlskull14.jpggorehowlskull13.jpggorehowlskull7.jpggorehowlskull10.jpggorehowlskull15.jpggorehowlskull16.jpg

Here is the finished sculpt.
gorehowlskull20.jpggorehowlskull21.jpggorehowlskull19.jpg

Thanks everyone for lookin in. Here is the latest. I molded and cast the skull.
First of 2 thin layers of MoldMax Stroke.
gorehowlskull29.jpg
One thick layer of Mold Max Stroke mixed with cabosil.
gorehowlskull28.jpg
Next was one layer of Epoxacoat Grey and one layer of Epoxamite/fiberglass.
gorehowlskull34.jpg
I then cleaned out the clay and brushed in one coat of Epoxacoat Grey in all the areas except where the skull was. I did that in white resin just because I wanted the base of the skull white for wear purposes.
gorehowlskull30.jpg
Then I mixed up a small amount of Free Form Air epoxy putty to fill in any deep groves to make laying up the fiberglass easier later and for weight. I believe the fiberglass resin would fill these areas and add more weight. Free Form Air is very lite weight.
gorehowlskull31.jpg
Then came the Smoothcast 305 white. I mixed 4 small batches one at a time and rolled them around until they kicked.
gorehowlskull33.jpg
This might be overkill but then I mixed another small amount of Free Form Air and backed up the skull area with it.
gorehowlskull32.jpg
Finally I laid in one layer of Epoxamite/fiberglass.
gorehowlskull35.jpg
These are pictures of the pull right from the mold no trimming or cleaning.
gorehowlskull22.jpggorehowlskull23.jpggorehowlskull24.jpggorehowlskull25.jpggorehowlskull26.jpg
Test fitting on the ax. like a glove.
gorehowlskull27.jpggorehowlskull27a.jpg

So now I'm working on the spikes. Slow and steady wins the race.
gorehowlsculpt16.jpggorehowlsculpt17.jpg

That's all for now. Merry Christmas Everyone.

Re: Grommash Build. Last Page more updates molded & cast skull 12/22/2016

So here is a quick update. Finished the Gorehowl spike sculpts and got them molded and cast.

These are the finished sculpts.
gorehowlsculpt23.jpg

The silicone molds. 1 coat of Epoxacoat. Back filled with Free Form Air Fresh from the molds
gorehowlsculpt18.jpggorehowlsculpt19.jpggorehowlsculpt20.jpggorehowlsculpt24.jpg

Ya'll know I couldn't just glue them on. I drilled holes and placed wooden pegs glued in with Epoxacoat. It's kind of a "Tool Time" deal, Overkill.
gorehowlsculpt21.jpggorehowlsculpt22.jpg

That's it for now. I'm just getting started on sculpting the butt end.
gorehowlsculpt25.jpg

Re: Grommash Build. Last Page Minor updates 12/26/2016

Haven't had a lot of time but I have gotten a git more done.

Getting the basic base.
gorehowlsculpt35.jpggorehowlsculpt34.jpg

Here's something I never tried before. I was trying to figure out the best way to make these forms on the butt piece. I decided to draw the profile on a piece of plexiglass and cut it out to make a "drag stencil" for lack of knowing what else to call it. It worked pretty good. these 2 pictures are with no clean up yet.
gorehowlsculpt33.jpg gorehowlsculpt36.jpg
Sadly that is all for now. Oh yea I am planning on doing a cross between the newest Gorehowl butt and an older version.
This is Steve Wang's version.
axbutt.jpg grommashbest.jpg

Re: Grommash Build. Last Page ax head put together 12/30/2016

So here are some progress shot of the butt sculpt.
First is the sketch I did to get an idea of what I was doing.
gorehowlsculpt65.jpg

This is how I sculpt symmetrical things. I sculpt one then rough out the other one and attach them. I keep flipping them around and shaping until pretty soon I don't know which one I started with.
gorehowlsculpt57.jpg

Here is the Blizzard ax butt with the spikes in the back ground.
gorehowlsculpt60.jpg

Ready for molding
gorehowlsculpt58.jpggorehowlsculpt59.jpg

Pulling the first spike out of the mold. I molded and cast these so it would be easier to place them and sculpt around them.
gorehowlsculpt62.jpg

Starting to get the details down
gorehowlsculpt61.jpggorehowlsculpt63.jpg

Getting down to the final surface details, casting flaws,rust, battle damage etc.
gorehowlsculpt64.jpg

The final sculpt.
gorehowlsculpt44.jpggorehowlsculpt46.jpggorehowlsculpt47.jpggorehowlsculpt48.jpggorehowlsculpt50.jpg

Here's a couple with the spikes in place.
gorehowlsculpt52.jpggorehowlsculpt53.jpg
That's it for now. Hopefully tomorrow will be molding this. Thanks for checkin thinks out.

Re: Grommash Build. Last Page Axe butt finished sculpt. 16 new pics. 01/05/2017

Alright so I got the head smasher molded and cast. I molded it in Mold Max Stroke, 2 thin layers, one cabosil thickened layer. I decided to try something little different, when the last layer was starting to thicken I pushed in this shim stock bent at 90 degrees. This was to divide my mother mold. First I PVAed the shims then 1 layer of Epoxacoat and on layer of Epoxamite/fiberglass.
gorehowlsculpt66.jpggorehowlsculpt67.jpggorehowlsculpt68.jpg

I used an Exacto and split one side of the silicone and opened it up.
gorehowlsculpt69.jpg

The mother mold
gorehowlsculpt70.jpg

Everything reassembled and ready for SmoothCast Onyx.
gorehowlsculpt73.jpggorehowlsculpt71.jpg

Right out of the mold.
gorehowlsculpt72.jpggorehowlsculpt74.jpg

Once I glued the spikes in place I drilled and pinned them. I always have to "Tim Allen Tool Guy" things
gorehowlsculpt77.jpg

The finished piece before paint. I still have to make the second one. I poured this one solid to go on the wall mount ax that is for a friend.
gorehowlsculpt78.jpg

Here is the wooden handle for the wall mount. I made this whole thing heavier than the one I will carry. I don't know why, I guess I just wanted it to feel good when someone holds it.
gorehowlsculpt76.jpggorehowlsculpt75.jpggorehowlsculpt79.jpg

That's it for today.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back