Grommash Build. Last Page new pics of the silicone glove. 01/25/2017

Re: Grommash by Alphatech

Thanks. I am telling you that video from Stan Winston school is why that skin looks like that. I have no stocks in Stan Winston School by the way.

I get into the habit of skipping threads of characters I've never heard of. This happened to be one, since I'm not a WOW guy. I was really missing out. This work is fantastic. I can't believe how good that skin looks + the muscle suit. Really impressive. I've always wanted to do a muscle suit and I'm sure I'll come back to this one for reference. Great job.

Here is the finished belt. Again the first two are the Steve Wang/Alliance studio belt.
wangskull.jpgwangbelt1.jpg

Here is my rendition.
010.JPG009.JPG008.JPG016.JPG015.JPG014.JPG021.JPG019.JPG020.JPG026.JPG025.JPG024.JPG

Last edited:

The level of detail on this built so far is insane. Is that animatronics on the Grommash face ? Please share some WIP pics of the mask making once it's done

I see a few of you have glanced at this. To answer a question, the face is not animatronic in that there are no servos. I was going to build the face mechanism like the apes from "2001" and Chewbacca which had cables running from the lower jaw to the upper lip. The problem was I sculpted the face as small as possible because of the weird proportions they give these video game characters. Ya'll know what I mean. So there was no room for that. Fortunately a few months ago a friend of a friend showed me this ape mask he had. it was pretty cheap and I didn't look at it well at first. At a second look I noticed the mouth was hinged and when I opened it the upper lip moved a bit. I couldn't believe it. They had this little bar that had pivot points and was connected to the lower jaw on either side. It was so simple. I redesigned it, better, and used it for this face. Wait till ya'll see it. Okay her is one picture of it.
facemech.JPG

I'm getting ahead of myself. That is it for now.

Re: Grommash by Alphatech Last page Face Mech SNEAK PEEK 01/21/2016

The necklace was next. These first three photos are form Wang/Alliance Grommash.
Miyo Nakamura did the sculpt.
necklace27JPG.JPGnecklace29JPG.JPGnecklace30JPG.JPG

My sculpt.
necklace2JPG.JPGnecklace1.JPG

The mold. Because of all the weird detail I brushed on a coat of silicone then placed it in a container and finished by pouring in the rest of the silicone.
necklace3.JPG

First Pull fresh out of the mold.
025.JPG024.JPG

This is the crown piece. I sculpted it in Super Sculpey.
necklace6.JPGnecklace8.JPGnecklace7.JPG

This is where I got a crazy idea. I decided it might be cool to cast this in pewter. I've always wanted to play with low melt metals and this seemed like a good time to try it.
I bought this little cast iron ladle on Ebay for 10 bucks. I had a pewter figuring given to me years ago that got re-purposed. Sorry Mom and thanks. I was really curious to see if it would melt on the stove. Just like butta.
necklace9.JPG

Bought a sample of high temp silicone from Smooth- on. Here it is right after the pour.
necklace18.JPGnecklace10.JPGnecklace11.JPGnecklace12.JPGnecklace14.JPG

I was going to sculpt the hammered effect in the sculpt but decided to wait in case I liked the smooth look. This is after beating it around with a small hammer. This is not the skull I used. I poured another one with a slower cure resin and got absolutely no air bubbles.
necklace13.JPG

Before and after.
necklace15.JPG

Ok this was another weird tangent I went on. While I was Googling anything I could about Grommash's necklace I ran across a forum where gamers were discussing it. Apparently the skull on his necklace was supposed to have his rune carved into it. That was all I had to read because it sounded cool. I found this photo of the "Hordes rune". Yes I am some sort of nerd.
necklace16.JPG

I carved it into the skull then remolded it just in case I ever want to make more.
necklace17.JPG

Of course I couldn't just glue the crown on so I drilled it and used the pins from these rivets to attach it. I trimmed off the tops of the rivets and tapped them in to pre-drilled holes in the skull. Rock solid with no glue.
crown1.JPGnecklace20JPG.JPGnecklace19.JPG

On to the next post. I only get 24 photos per.

necklace27JPG.JPG

necklace29JPG.JPG

necklace30JPG.JPG

necklace1.JPG

necklace2JPG.JPG

necklace3.JPG

024.JPG

025.JPG

necklace6.JPG

necklace8.JPG

necklace7.JPG

necklace9.JPG

necklace18.JPG

necklace10.JPG

necklace11.JPG

necklace12.JPG

necklace14.JPG

necklace13.JPG

necklace15.JPG

necklace16.JPG

necklace17.JPG

crown1.JPG

necklace19.JPG

necklace20JPG.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Grommash by Alphatech Last page Face Mech SNEAK PEEK 01/21/2016

This is after I painted on a copper salt solution to age the metal. It started to tarnish immediately. You will see in later pictures the final effect.
crown4.JPGcrown3.JPG

Onto the teeth or claws or what ever these were. This is a photo of Miyo Nakamura"s sculpts painted by Steve Wang. I ended up combining this look with a look from the next photo.
necklace28JPG.JPG

Sorry for poor quality photo I took it off the computer. This is Blizzard's latest rendition of Grommash. Here the teeth look more like talons so I combined the looks.
021.JPG

This is what I came up with. Almost finished sculpt. I added the bone joint of a talon or claw. I had to sculpt 3 different sizes.
004.JPG003.JPG002.JPG001.JPG

The molds and the layout.
005.JPGnecklace26JPG.JPG

The final necklace.
002.JPG008.JPG003.JPG004.JPG006.JPG
011.JPG016.JPG015.JPG014.JPG013.JPG
020.JPG019.JPG

Well I am caught up now with what I have been working on. I am of course in the middle of the face project. It may be a while before I get that part of the build posted. Once again STAY TUNED!!!

crown3.JPG

crown4.JPG

necklace28JPG.JPG

021.JPG

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

necklace26JPG.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

006.JPG

008.JPG

011.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

019.JPG

020.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Grommash by Alphatech Last page Just post the complete NECKLACE build 01/22/2016

The jaw hinges work really well and it very simple design. Exceptional work.

Re: Grommash by Alphatech Last page Just post the complete NECKLACE build 01/22/2016

This looks really amazing. I love all the deatils. how long did it take you to mold and form the necklaces-skull?

I think the Skull was around 15 hours to sculpt. That sounds like a long time but it always goes by fast.

15 hours well spend that and all the other sculps looks really good (y)thumbsup

15 hours doesn't seem that much imo. Very realistic timeframe. I love sculpting. Time goes by so fast! good jo

Re: Grommash by Alphatech Last page ear sculpts posted 02/08/2016

Wow. I am just floored by the level of skill, attention to detail, and craftsmanship. Your sculpting skills are particularly amazing. Well done! I am so excited to see more!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back