Captain Hook's Hook - PROJECT CANCELLED

Update as of February 6, 2016:

The prop maker who was originally working on this prop has decided for reasons insensible to me to cease continuing working on this project and therefore it will not be completed.

Please beware of Australian prop maker Bentley O'Toole. He is a crook and a dishonest man. He denied that this prop was ordered and paid for even though bank statements and PayPal proved the existence of the payment and order. As a result, he has refused to finish making this prop.

Other RPF members have had similar issues with him and the 501st has banned him as a prop maker for their members.

Thank you,

gollivander

Last edited:
Re: Captain Hook's Hook (1991) Dustin Hoffman - Cosplay Ready!

"I give you the steel-handed stingray, Captain James Hook!"

holderref1.jpg

I absolutely fell in love with Dustin's version of the character!

For a while, I've been wanting to cosplay him at conventions. But the toy Hooks and costumes on the market now, are just far to tacky for my liking and for me, doesn't give off the right vibe of the character. So I decided to fire up the laptop and begin the search for steel pirate hooks, hook replicas, you name it, I searched for it. It took me a while, but I find a couple of sites while searching on Google images. One was Walfund (or something like that) and I can't remember what the other one was. Anyway, I was also on the look out of an authentic costume from the 1991 movie. So I contacted Magnoli Clothiers in New Zealand, sent them reference pictures of the costume (Coat, Shirt, Vest and Shoes) and they said they can replicate the entire costume for me, which is great! I also mentioned that I was on the look out for the Hook. To my astonishment, they said they have acquired one from a company in Pakistan and they can sell it to me, when it arrives. They did!

IMG_7331PHOTO.JPGIMG_7333PHOTO.JPGIMG_7336PHOTO.JPG
IMG_7337PHOTO.JPGIMG_7339PHOTO.JPGIMG_7341PHOTO.JPG
IMG_7340PHOTO.JPGIMG_7343PHOTO.JPGIMG_7348PHOTO.JPG

The Hook is made from steel-brass and was made from the cast of the original screen-used prop!

The quality and detail is just so beautiful and out of this world!

Attachments

• IMG_7338PHOTO.JPG
    IMG_7338PHOTO.JPG
    10.9 MB · Views: 985
  • IMG_7342PHOTO.JPG
    IMG_7342PHOTO.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 677

View attachment 578203

For a while, I've been wanting to cosplay him at conventions. But the toy Hooks and costumes on the market now, are just far to tacky for my liking and for me, doesn't give off the right vibe of the character. So I decided to fire up the laptop and begin the search for steel pirate hooks, hook replicas, you name it, I searched for it. It took me a while, but I find a couple of sites while searching on Google images. One was Walfund (or something like that) and I can't remember what the other one was. Anyway, I was also on the look out of an authentic costume from the 1991 movie. So I contacted Magnoli Clothiers in New Zealand, sent them reference pictures of the costume (Coat, Shirt, Vest and Shoes) and they said they can replicate the entire costume for me, which is great! I also mentioned that I was on the look out for the Hook. To my astonishment, they said they have acquired one from a company in Pakistan and they can sell it to me, when it arrives. They did!

View attachment 578192View attachment 578193View attachment 578194
View attachment 578195View attachment 578197View attachment 578198
View attachment 578200View attachment 578201View attachment 578202

The Hook is made from steel-brass and was made from the cast of the original screen-used prop!

Just for information, the run for this hook has been done on the RPF 3 years ago... Sarednab was the man behind it. They were 40 hooks and they got finished just last October if I recall it. I got one too :)

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=185605&highlight=hook

View attachment 578203

View attachment 578192View attachment 578193View attachment 578194
View attachment 578195View attachment 578197View attachment 578198
View attachment 578200View attachment 578201View attachment 578202

And also just for info:
http://www.therpf.com/member.php?u=1058
Indy Magnoli (Owner of Magnoli Clothiers) is a member here

Just for information, the run for this hook has been done on the RPF 3 years ago... Sarednab was the man behind it. They were 40 hooks and they got finished just last October if I recall it. I got one too :)

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=185605&highlight=hook
I know that run was done a while ago, and Indy told him he was getting one from a factory in Pakistan soon, so does this mean Indy Magnoli is doing them now as well and going to offer them through his site? I missed the run and would love to know if the option to buy one in the future is there.
Also, I wonder if they are being produced through the same factory as Sarednab had used. That would be awesome! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

I know that run was done a while ago, and Indy told him he was getting one from a factory in Pakistan soon, so does this mean Indy Magnoli is doing them now as well and going to offer them through his site? I missed the run and would love to know if the option to buy one in the future is there.
Also, I wonder if they are being produced through the same factory as @Sarednab had used. That would be awesome! :)

You can be sure that NOONE will do it again, not with same factory

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I also recently contacted him about the hook and started doing some research in the guy and decided not to order eventually. I'm bummed since I really like that hook and I don't think anyone else makes them. If you do manage to find someone who does, and is reliable, could you post it on here?

Just as a heads up, I found a local prop maker who makes 3D printed props who has begun production on the 2003 Jason Isaacs hook for me. 3D printed ABS plastic is much sturdier and durable than the poly urethane that was used for my original Isaacs hook a few years ago. Once production is further along, I will create a new thread with more info and progress pictures.

The best part of this new one? It is cheaper and the prop maker is making it so it screws on and off like in the movie!

Just as a heads up, I found a local prop maker who makes 3D printed props who has begun production on the 2003 Jason Isaacs hook for me. 3D printed ABS plastic is much sturdier and durable than the poly urethane that was used for my original Isaacs hook a few years ago. Once production is further along, I will create a new thread with more info and progress pictures.

The best part of this new one? It is cheaper and the prop maker is making it so it screws on and off like in the movie!

Sorry, maybe my fault. I not speaking of polyurethane resin but I mean that we'll made it in a new formula of alkyd epoxy resin, just to be clear, same resin is used in car factory for some piece of car and prototypes parts.
This resin must be tempered at high temperatures (200 celsius degrees) to made it strong!
Regarding chrome process, it will appears identical to the metal one. The best thing is that I not talking only for the eyes, but it will look identical also in touch cause we studied a chrome job that will give a new "skin" to the item and will reserve ALL Details ;)

Last edited:
Sorry, maybe my fault. I not speaking of polyurethane resin but I mean that we'll made it in a new formula of alkyd epoxy resin, just to be clear, same resin is used in car factory for some piece of car and prototypes parts.
This resin must be tempered at high temperatures (200 celsius degrees) to made it strong!
Regarding chrome process, it will appears identical to the metal one. The best thing is that I not talking only for the eyes, but it will look identical also in touch cause we studied a chrome job that will give a new "skin" to the item and will reserve ALL Details ;)

Will you make sure that the handle inside will be placed further up into the "bulb" of the gauntlet? When you made the metal one, the handle was too far low in the gauntlet making it very uncomfortable and hard to wear.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back