newbie Kylo helmet sculpt

opiate

Well here goes nuthin. I have a black series helmet on order, but I was bored and decided to try my hand at sculpting one as well. Please note that I am EXTREMELY new at this. I've only ever worked with plasticine once, and that was quite a few years ago. The plus side is though that I did end up with a head sculpt of myself from whatever that old project was.

Anyway after spending a day building up like 15 lbs of clay onto my head, and hewing out a rough shape i got this, and some really sore hands.

image.jpeg

The lines are just kind of for reference, as I'm still working on the proportions and measurements of everything before I even think of working on details of any sort. I ended up running out of modeling clay at that point, and my hobby lobby only had a couple 4.5 lb blocks of it available and in different colors so it's pretty frankenstiened color wise lol. Anyway here's hoping it turns out decently.

So I decided to cheat a bit lol . I just got my black series helmet and used the crazy front part as a base instead of trying to do all that with clay. Ain't nobody got time for dat. Still a lot of work and fine tuning to do but it's coming along a lot faster now that I have something to give me some good solid references.

sorry for the crappy pic quality btw.
image.jpeg

Added more stuff, and adjusted a bunch, but I'm out of clay for the second time lol. Looks like I also squished the top a bit as well :( helluva lot more work to go.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Adjusted and re-did a few things. Been working on symmetry (which is by far the trickiest part imo) and getting the proper shape of the top before working on any more details or anything, and, of course, I ran out of clay again :)

image.jpeg

I honestly don't know, I think it might have been the weight of the clay in the back. I thought it was properly supported but I guess not :(

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back