Build: Vintage Graflex: Luke ANH

MastahBlastah

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So a while back I found a decent deal on this Graflex 3-Cell (Graflex Inc w/ patent #). I'd decided that I would hold off on starting the build until after I'd completed my Greedo Killer, but earlier this week I went ahead and purchased one of Roy's kits ... it should be arriving here in the states in the next week and a half or so. After much deliberation about which version to go with (there are elements of all three iterations that I like) I've decided to go with the ANH, as it's my overall favorite, AND finding an extra red button (on top of the one that it's already missing) would be difficult right now.

That being said, I've expressed interest in a replica button from Roman's proposed Graflex run, but I'll probably still post a WTB here on the forum, in case anybody is aiming to sell an older replica or a vintage button, depending on price. I'm looking for a decently accurate, functioning button (not false).

It's tough to capture the level of wear, but here are some photos in natural light:

Hope to pick this back up in the next few weeks!

Last edited:
Got my parts from Roy in the mail about a week ago, just now getting around to posting ... I'm super happy with them. Thanks Roy!

I've decided to assemble my Graflex with the bottom pushed all the way in, so that I'll still be able to remove the bottom after the grips are set. On my particular flash, this gives me a measurement of 91.5 mm for the grips. Marked out the T-Track:

I'm using the grip stencil from Parts of Star Wars to help with placement, but I cut little notches out of the ends to allow me to make accurate marks for the T-Track:

I also made up a quick little 30 degree angle stencil to make marks for the angles on the T-Track:

Edit: Replaced image with the correct stencil:

Hoping to get around to cutting/epoxying these in the next day or two. Also, user schrodinger555 chimed in and has sold me an older Parks replica red button! Can't wait to slap that on the flash ... it looks so naked without one. Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Great flash! Looks pristine.

Cutting notches out of the template is a great idea! I'll definitely do that when my kit from Roy gets delivered soon.

I'm not certain what 'bottom' means on your 30º template stencil ... just use it wisely as seen in part of the blueprint made by Roy :

Careful measure twice, cut once!

Chaim

I'm not certain what 'bottom' means on your 30º template stencil ... just use it wisely as seen in part of the blueprint made by Roy

Chaim ... thanks for chiming in here! I actually realized this as well while taking a closer look at my stencil .... I had the 30 degree angle coming from the bottom of the T-Tracks, not the side. Good thing I hadn't made any cuts yet ;) Replaced the above image with the correct stencil!

Last edited:
Snow Day!

Due to being smack dab in the center of this snow storm, I have today off work. Which means ... saber time! I got around to cutting down and angling the T-Tracks, and mounting them on the flash.

Used my stencil to mark out the angles:

Another view of the T-Track angles:

Bottom View:

It's incredible how much adding the grips changes the feel of the flash ... starting to feel like a lightsaber now!

I wanted the bulb clamp to be nice and round, so I slid a few drops of epoxy between the thin metal pieces in the emitter and clamped down the ears until they set. Next I'll have to come up with a way of keeping them from flopping around. I suppose I could use epoxy somewhere, but don't want it to be visible. Or prop something between the cracks on the side ... Any suggestions?

Also sanded down the rough spots on the D-Ring Clip. Nice and shiny now ...

The red button I purchased was supposed to be arriving today, but I doubt the post is up and running. Could be days before all this snow stops and is cleared away as well :( Next up is the D-Ring. Just need the proper drill bits, and to find someone with a rivet gun. I'm saving the bubble strip as the crowning jewel when everything else is together.

Stay tuned!

Last edited:
As always, I'm super behind on posting progress here, but I received that replica red button in the mail a little while back (thanks Mili!!). It's an earlier Parks replica button, so the button functions just like a real one. It was, however, pretty pristine, and although my Graflex is by no means a junker, I figured the button needed a little weathering to match the state of the flash. Here's the button pre-weathering:

I don't have a ton of weathering experience so I just took a pretty simple aproach. Basically, I just lightly scratched up the knurling in places with small stone, hit the plastic button with some 0000 steel wool, and rubbed a bit of gunk into the knurling/crevices.

Mounted on the flash:

I know I said that I'd wait to fit the bubble strip as the final step of the build, but I got impatient! The width of the strip was already pretty close to perfect for my clamp ... just a bit of sanding and it was done!

Still need to attach the D-Ring, but here's a wide shot showing the state of things:

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Looking very good man. Legit.
Hard to tell from the pics lighting wise, but is the button housing too glossy? Perhaps a hit of satin clear to even it out?
My two cents...

Looking very good man. Legit.

Thanks, Panaflex!

Hard to tell from the pics lighting wise, but is the button housing too glossy? Perhaps a hit of satin clear to even it out?

I think the housing definitely is a bit too glossy when compared to the vintage buttons ... not sure if that's just because of the fresh chrome, or a difference in the finish? This sounds like a good idea though, maybe I'll experiment with it!

the 0000 wool on the button was a genius move! The entire build looks fantastic :cool

I'm excited to see that d ring attached into it! Looking awesome man :D

Thanks Mili ... I appreciate you parting with the button! My ANH is nothing compared to your sweet all vintage build, but I'm happy with it so far!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back