Kylo Ren FX Lightsaber - Unstable Blade

surf

Hey Guys,

got myself a Hasbro FX crossguard Kylo Ren lightsaber recently. Overall I think it's awesome, but the blade always bothered me.
It's too "clean" and the same as every Lightsaber. I've decided to make it more screen accurate with an unstable and rough
blade.

Just buy a tube of transparent acrylic sealant at your local Home Depot and apply it on the blade. Spread it completely over the blade (the acrylic sealant sticks as hell
so use gloves or a brush to apply it. The acrylic sealant takes approx. 24h to fully cure.

a59pgw.jpg

Black Series Kylo Ren Lightsaber straight out of the box

2hy9myc.jpg

Acrylic sealant

xopily.jpg

Apply acrylic sealant and spread it all over the blade

2upes0j.jpg

21oavcz.jpg

Lightsaber / Blade with acrylic sealant

Last edited:
Brilliant, absolutely superb. I have the same saber and was scratching my head of how to roughen the look of the blade..................................thank you very much for sharing.

How many tubes did you use? and how long did it take to dry?

I used almost one Tube. It took less than 24 h to fully dry. There are several brands of acrylic sealant available. I took one that sticks on every surface. Paid $10 for the tube.
When it's completely dry it's not hard with sharp edges it's more like crystal clear rubber.

I'm sorry, but I didn't took a video applying the sealant. The sealant comes out of the tube like toothpaste. I applied the "worm" and then spread it with my fingers. You can do some modeling till you have the effect you want to have.

Here's a close up pic that explains what i've done:

pic.jpg

Overall it was no big deal. The hardest part was to decide to spread acrylic sealant on a $200 lightsaber ;)

That look really good.
But can you remove the stuff from the saber?I ask that because if its rubberlike it will hold a lot off dust over the time...and when its not stable in the sunlight its also not so crystal after some months.

It should be removable, but it wont be easy. You are absolutely right that there's a chance that the marerial get's dull after some time. I've read a lot about the acrylic sealant and found no experience / efidence that it get's dull (maybe if you expose it to direct sunlight for some hours).

For the dust factor I fully agree. It's like with every rubber. In this case I will use a cloth with some water to clean it.

Here's a pic of the tube. As you are from Germany as I am no big deal for you to read it. For all other english speaking fellows it's ordorless, paintover (doesn't needed in our case), doesn't harm surfaces, water - and weather resistant, usable for all materials and surfaces, indoor and outdoor usage, uv resistant.

image.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/..._rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=577048407&pf_rd_i=desktop

So overall everyone needs to decide whether to update the blade as I did or not. Silicone and hot clue are some other materials you might use.
As for all things in life: "Do it, or do it not ... There is no try" :cool

Last edited:
It is a great idea and looks really nice.But I will not do it about the dustproblem.I´m collecting this stuff for years...and I know how much dust this pieces have after some days.
But you could use a glass case for the saber when you dont use it.That would be not cheap but with a plaque and some updates for the grip a nice looking piece in your collection.
But you know..the biggest problem for collectors is SPACE!:lol

If you don't want to destroy your $189.00 Sabre FX blade simply purchase clear plastic/acrylic tubes that will slide over the blades. Now go to town with your acrylic sealant and no longer worry about the resale value of your Sabre FX light saber if times get rough!!!

If you don't want to destroy your $189.00 Sabre FX blade simply purchase clear plastic/acrylic tubes that will slide over the blades. Now go to town with your acrylic sealant and no longer worry about the resale value of your Sabre FX light saber if times get rough!!!

Who said to resell it ? Simply pour some gas over it and use it as a torch :lol

Who said to resell it ? Simply put some gas over it and use it as a torch :lol

Well judging from the amount that are being resold in Junkyard, eBay, and other sites I was assuming people are trying to make a profit however if you are going to mod the device it may be due to hard times.

I'm not buying stuff to make profit nor to resell them. It's more about to have fun with the stuff you've bought. I never got into this "Mint in Box" thing. I know of collectors that even wouldn't dare to open the package of the saber. Everyone it's own, but for my part I want to use what i've bought and give a sh...t on the resell value.

Last edited:
Great job, Surf! That looks so good, I don't mind the lack of taper on the cross blades -- my one hesitation for not buying one of these yet.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back