Kylo Ren Force FX Lightsaber Mod/Rebuild

Jamestan

Okay so I just wanted to show you guys the work I've done on my force fx to get it more accurate. I've done the work on it in a few, lets call them 'episodes' (What else would you call it? lol) Hope you guys enjoy.

Episode IV - A New Cross Guard

First thing I did was remove the original cross guards, there's a nice tear down of the Kylo force FX online so I didn't bother showing how to do that here. Plus I forgot to take pics. Then I filed down the part that the arms attached onto, these stuck out too far and made the base extend out too much, the metal is really soft so a few passes with a file will get you there. As a precaution, I tucked the LED and wires inside and taped it closed to protect it while I filed away.

IMAG0384.jpgIMAG0383.jpgIMAG0380.jpgIMAG0378.jpg

Then Bam! Sorry again I forgot to take pics of the making of the guards, It's basically a tube with another tube on it, you guys get the gist. I wanted to use steel as I know you can get real actual heat bluing on steel. Stainless would look even better but is far to expensive and harder to work with. So I made the parts, then got the torch out to give it the colors, and sealed it with lacquer to protect the finish. You'll see the bluing pattern change here and there between the pics further on, That's because as while I was working this I would practice and try to get the bluing better whenever I felt like it.

IMAG0389.jpgIMAG0387.jpg

Here's the before and after pics. Lil stubby vs Tall dark and handsome.

IMAG0398.jpgIMAG0396.jpg

Here I finished making the base ring, but when I attached everything on the handle I realized the bottom flares on the guards were too thin. So I made it out of some thicker stock, just a little bit. You can kinda tell the difference in the 2nd pic, but don't strain your eyes its very slight.

IMAG0404.jpgIMAG0401.jpgIMAG0405.jpg

After the bluing, they looked a lot sexier. Don't mind the skinny handle part, I get to that in the next episode.

IMAG0426.jpgIMAG0427.jpg

Here' what the pieces look like, these aren't the ones on my saber, but ones I made for a member here.

Episode V - The Handle Strikes Back

One of the biggest gripes, I and most of the people here on the forums have about the kylo force fx, is about how much thicker the middle handle part of the lightsaber is. Sure the all metal-ness of it was awesome and gave it the heft and weight that no other lightsaber had, but it also made it awkward to grab since the handle was so thick and just feel fat. The handle, along with the stubby original guards, gave it an overall look that wasn't inline with what we saw onscreen.

So, I tore down the handle and saw that I can take off the tube that was the original mid section and rebuild in its place a thinner version.

IMAG0409.jpgIMAG0410.jpgIMAG0411.jpgIMAG0412.jpgIMAG0414.jpg

So I cut strips out of aluminum,based their dimensions off of the original handle, then glued these strips onto the aluminum tube that runs down the length of the handle.

This was actually a lot harder than I had first anticipated. the strips had to be cut perfectly straight, and very very close in thickness and length, so that when they are glued onto the handle they are spaced evenly and look right. I also had to notch the strips just enough to allow the little silver accent pieces to fit through.
I made a spacer guide for the top (as you can see in the 1st pic) to make sure it matched my references and help with alignment. the positioning of the first one is the most critical as it will set the spacing for the rest of the strips, get the first one a little crooked and they all get crooked. All in all there are twelve strips, that need to be glued into place, after careful gluing it all turned out alright.

IMAG0425.jpgIMAG0424.jpgIMAG0423.jpg

The original paint job on the Force FX was kind of atrocious, especially on the cross guards, but the rest of the saber wasn't that good either. After watching all those tested videos on weathering for no apparent reason but entertainment, I figured I could give this weathering a try. I've painted before and I knew I couldn't do a worse job than whoever painted these originally, so I gave it a whack. In the end I think it turned out looking pretty good.

Episode VI - The Return of the Pommel

IMAG0315.jpg

This was a quick one compared to the first two mods. I thought the sound on the saber was super awesome, it was all crackly and spitty, it just sounded rough and menacing, BUT the volume on the sucker was horrible. Noticing how the lower part of the pommel was hollow I decided to drill some holes into the speaker/battery case to allow the sound somewhere to go other than the keyhole slit at the bottom of the pommel. I also drilled some holes on the red bottom cap, although in hindsight I don't think this was necessary.

IMAG0435.jpgIMAG0419.jpg

Speaking of the bottom of the pommel, I decided to polish and blast the cap with some anodized red paint to match some reference photos someone gave me.

Episode VII - The Red Wire Awakens (coming soon)

I don't like the red wire that comes with the saber and after hearing that the hero one is translucent red with a silver wire running through it, I knew I just had to do this. I think i will also make the wire holders out of metal as the silver paint on the rubber ones just keep on getting rubbed off.

So that's as far as I've gone, I'll make sure to update this thread whenever I do further mods.
Thank you for checking out my work.

Last edited:
Woaw ! Really interesting job, and your funny titles made me laugh every time :)

Good luck with your saber, it's on the road of awesomeness !

This looks so much better, can't wait to mod mine!

Shame about the thickness of the main blade emitter, otherwise this would be pretty much close to perfect! >.<
The only other thing I don't like about the Force FX blade is the exposed circuit board. It doesn't have much depth to it, and doesn't look like it runs internally underneath the hilt.

Thanks guys I appreciate it.

This looks so much better, can't wait to mod mine!

Shame about the thickness of the main blade emitter, otherwise this would be pretty much close to perfect! >.<
The only other thing I don't like about the Force FX blade is the exposed circuit board. It doesn't have much depth to it, and doesn't look like it runs internally underneath the hilt.

Yeah the main blade emitter and the top part of the handle is one solid piece, That would have to be machined to make it smaller. That's crazy amounts of work, you'd be better off making a new handle.

The exposed circuit board might be ep VII if you know what I mean. It's basically just glued on there. If I find any good reference pics of the greeblies on there I might replicate it and cast/mold it to be more accurate.

I Just ordered a bunch of wire to replace the rubber wire that the FX came with. Also gonna make the wire ties out of aluminum. Hopefully I'll have time to finish it by next week. I got some customers work to get to 1st.

I Just ordered a bunch of wire to replace the rubber wire that the FX came with. Also gonna make the wire ties out of aluminum. Hopefully I'll have time to finish it by next week. I got some customers work to get to 1st.

The wire on the expo swords is tranparent red from what I´ve seen.

I got the wires I ordered today. It's thicker than the original, but looking at the hero prop it looks like it's a lot closer in size than the original rubber wire.

IMAG0456.jpg
14521333772431482481001.jpg

Had some time last night while paint was drying so I decided to knock this one out. Moved the top location of the wire. Moved the locations of the Silver wire holders a bit too, to match my references. And heated the red wire to get it clearer. Just gotta figure out where to attach the bottom part and that should be ep vii!

IMAG0465.jpg
IMAG0462.jpg

EDIT: After looking at it some more I moved the top most wire holder a little bit to the right side of the saber. I think it was too far left. I also forgot to mention I sunk down the exposed parts to make room for the wire, and to make it a little bit more accurate.

Last edited:
Episode VII - The Red Wire Awakens

I got some red transparent 16 gauge speaker wire that looked to be about the right size compared to the pics from launch bay Orlando. One thing though I've seen in some of the pics how the wire is a little bit bumpy looking and not a consistent cylinder. I tried replicating this with a torch but getting the entire length of wire to be kinda bumpy was difficult. I think they heated the wire itself by putting a current through the wire and heating the shielding. I just heated the wire up with a torch and that made the wire more transparent which I liked. I didn't really like the bumpy look so I just stopped there. I also sunk the greeblies from the cutout part to give that part more depth. I glued in the wire holders to the saber itself but not the wire, so you can actually thread the wire on and off easily. Anyway, here's the finished saber. I think this is as far as I'm gonna take it.

KRS 2.jpgKRS 3.jpgKRS 4.jpgKRS 6.jpgKRS 8.jpgKRS 9.jpg

This has to be the greatest working Kylo saber out there right now. Fantastic work!

I'm hoping to do what you've done, but also include the ability to detach the blades with a stronger 12 watt LED in the hilt.

How did you manage to sink the greeblies btw?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back