Disasemble MR Falcon

xeno

Sr Member
I got a MR falcon I got as a present some years ago from a good friend,
But I still did not have a good idea how to place the Falcon without it taking up a ridiculous amount of space,
so my new idea is to mount it flat on a wall, but this thing is crazy heavy, I still had some images from back then, on how it was constructed, and wondered if the Alu construction on the inside was hollow tube or solid ?
And if maybe the amount of resin used is the main part of the weight ?

if replacing the Alu tubes is not going to reduce the weight, then maybe I can be assured that the support for the mounting hole is indeed a steel part, and i don't have to worry about the resin cracking under the weight, as it was not supposed to be hanging on a wall.

I already made a Alu/Steel pivot point that fits the mounting hole exactly, with a screw mounting plate.

anybody with inside info and/or images that can help out ?

IMG_0039.jpg

o.jpg

k.jpg

I don't think it would be a problem at all mounting on your wall flat. If you use a mounting plate around the same size as one used for a flat screen TV mount to cover at least a square foot of space it would be perfect. One small hole in the wall wouldn't be enough to support something like that. Looking at those pics I would personally replace the square and rectangular brace plates on the aluminium frame with metal ones. Why did they use resin/plastic?

Before modifying the aluminum brace frame, it has to be this large to prevent the resin body castings from ever warping. The aluminum frame is the backbone that keeps all that resin from warping or "curling" and loosing its original shape as cast. It is critical to maintaining the the MR's integrity.

Hello

Excuse my ignorance...I always thought the MR Falcon was a finished model...now I see yours "in the white"! Was the MR model available unpainted or even as a kit?

thanks
Uwe

Hello

Excuse my ignorance...I always thought the MR Falcon was a finished model...now I see yours "in the white"! Was the MR model available unpainted or even as a kit?

thanks
Uwe

Nah, these pics were made when the MR Falcon was being developed, and are the only few pics I know of, that show the inner workings.
mine is finished version like all other versions, and only some people who were involved with the project were given unfinished versions.

I already made a mounting point, and will screw this to a wooden base, were I can also mount the perspex case onto.

IMG_1946.JPG

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back