Rey Alternate Outfit? (possible spoilers)

Thanks guys, so the consensus is that it is too green/bright. I'm happy to go along with whatever you all say because I have a bit of trouble with these colour groups due to mild colour blindness :p

To be honest I hadn't even thought about dying/painting/weathering at this point, I was just thinking I needed the right colour fabric. But I actually have a few fabric paints in greens and browns leftover from a previous project so I can probably put those to use!

So, with that in mind, what about starting with this as a base:

https://www.spotlightstores.com/by-the-metre/pure-cotton-duck/p/BP80259378-latte

(Same fabric as before, but in the colour "latte")

Hey a fellow Kiwi!! Or maybe an Aussie?? ;) Either way, Spotlight represent!! :lol I got my fabric for Rey's resistance bag from Spotlight, from the upholstery section - I'm a VIP and scored a 40% off voucher, so I managed to get the fabric a wee bit cheaper - totally worthwhile when buying upholstery fabric!! It's called "Brighton Cotton Canvas" in the "Linen" color, 150cm width. On Spotlight's website the color looks very beige, so I don't know if maybe the sales assistant put a different color in when ringing it up?? But this is the color of my bag:

View attachment 743922

It's got a bit more green in it in real life, a khaki canvas color. This was just taken in terrible lighting at midnight :lol

Yep! I'm located in South Australia :) Haha, unfortunately my local Spotlight closed uh...about a year ago I believe. It could be a while before a trip anywhere else so for now, online it is.

I had a look at the Brighton one and it does look like a completely different colour on the website compared to your pic! So that could be an option too, thanks :D

Yep! I'm located in South Australia :) Haha, unfortunately my local Spotlight closed uh...about a year ago I believe. It could be a while before a trip anywhere else so for now, online it is.

I had a look at the Brighton one and it does look like a completely different colour on the website compared to your pic! So that could be an option too, thanks :D

Oh damn!! Hopefully your research works out when you decide to buy! :D

Yeah, the advantage I found with the Brighton is that it's a cotton canvas - so it's a bit thicker, and will hold up well as a bag, compared to some apparel fabrics I looked at when I was first starting my bag!

That looks a lot like what I started with. This is it after painting green (too green, my bad), then washing/bleaching several times. A little sandpaper here and there.

IMG_4576.JPG

IMG_3846.JPG

It's very lighting dependent how it looks exactly, but here is a prep pic, where, seriously, I went nuts with the green. But it did wash/bleach out well. Thankfully. You can see the original color canvas under the flap area. And again lighting dependent - was more khaki/tan in the flesh. ;)

IMG_3763.JPG

Oh damn!! Hopefully your research works out when you decide to buy! :D

Yeah, the advantage I found with the Brighton is that it's a cotton canvas - so it's a bit thicker, and will hold up well as a bag, compared to some apparel fabrics I looked at when I was first starting my bag!
Thanks! Fingers crossed!

Ahh nice...the other fabric I linked was labelled as 'pure cotton duck'. Is that just another type of canvas? But also it's only 112 cm width whereas the Brighton canvas is 150 cm width! So that's another advantage with the Brighton.

- - - Updated - - -

That looks a lot like what I started with. This is it after painting green (too green, my bad), then washing/bleaching several times. A little sandpaper here and there.

View attachment 744542

View attachment 744543

It's very lighting dependent how it looks exactly, but here is a prep pic, where, seriously, I went nuts with the green. But it did wash/bleach out well. Thankfully. You can see the original color canvas under the flap area. And again lighting dependent - was more khaki/tan in the flesh. ;)

View attachment 744544
Thanks for the pics! Your bag looks great so it really did work out well in the end :D I'll try to go easy on the green if I do decide to dye/paint my fabric, hehe :p How did you apply the paint?

T
Thanks for the pics! Your bag looks great so it really did work out well in the end :D I'll try to go easy on the green if I do decide to dye/paint my fabric, hehe :p How did you apply the paint?

It's spray paint, actually. I'm not 100% sure now which I used, but I suspect it was either plain drab olive regular spray paint OR Design Master Colortool Basil. I think the latter, but not sure, and the more I think on it, it may have been a bit of both. I know I used Design Master on the strap.

It's spray paint, actually. I'm not 100% sure now which I used, but I suspect it was either plain drab olive regular spray paint OR Design Master Colortool Basil. I think the latter, but not sure, and the more I think on it, it may have been a bit of both. I know I used Design Master on the strap.
*Oh okay thanks! I'll look into that too then.*

What I've already got (stored away somewhere lol) is just some fabric paints in a couple different greens and browns I think, but the greens might be too...green to use for the bag. I'll try and find them this weekend and post a pic maybe. If I can make them work somehow that sure would be nice, to save me buying something else. But I'm really not sure. :/

I bet what you have will work. Just water them down some or play with mixtures or most of all just go very lightly. Good luck.

No, sorry. May the Force with with you. ;)

For the bag, I purchased military canvas fabric. It's extremely sturdy and stiff - no lining required. It's also the standard military olive green. Just rub some bleach on it, and let the sun fade the bag for the perfect weathered look.

For the bag, I purchased military canvas fabric. It's extremely sturdy and stiff - no lining required. It's also the standard military olive green. Just rub some bleach on it, and let the sun fade the bag for the perfect weathered look.
I did try looking for the proper OD green military canvas fabric but could only seem to find it on US sites and then the shipping (I'm located in Australia) was just too high to justify, way more than the canvas itself cost etc. Thanks though :)

Hi everyone, I put off dyeing my arm wraps for Rey's resistance outfit until everything else was done. Now I'm there and hoping to dye the arm wraps. I'm using cotton crepe bandages and thinking of just using a diluted dye bath of Rit black dye.

Has anyone done anything else? Or has anyone used black dye watered down? The wool of my gauntlets and vest is grey but with a little bit of a tan undertone. So I'm hoping the existing color of the bandages will create that and the black will add the grey. Thanks!

Hi everyone, I put off dyeing my arm wraps for Rey's resistance outfit until everything else was done. Now I'm there and hoping to dye the arm wraps. I'm using cotton crepe bandages and thinking of just using a diluted dye bath of Rit black dye.

Has anyone done anything else? Or has anyone used black dye watered down? The wool of my gauntlets and vest is grey but with a little bit of a tan undertone. So I'm hoping the existing color of the bandages will create that and the black will add the grey. Thanks!

Mine were labeled as cotton crepe but still didn't take regular RIT well (I tried pearl grey). I think that even though they are cotton, there is some slightly stretchy type fibers in it or something? At least with mine? Anyway, I added some RIT Synthetic in graphite and that worked well.

Mine were labeled as cotton crepe but still didn't take regular RIT well (I tried pearl grey). I think that even though they are cotton, there is some slightly stretchy type fibers in it or something? At least with mine? Anyway, I added some RIT Synthetic in graphite and that worked well.
Thanks! Did you just use the Dyemore graphite? Or a mix of pearl grey and graphite?

I tried the Dyemore frost grey and it came out weird. Too dark and a tad purple in some light. I think I'll strip it out and start over.
4888873524c7c7677acff1f74c60dc7e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Dyemore Graphite alone, I think.

View attachment 759354
Thanks jackwabbit!

For y'all I have a Rey's cloak question. I've searched the thread but couldn't find any info on suspected seams. So you think it's one down the back joining two halves? Or are there seams at the shoulders too. Or no seam down the back and just at the shoulders? I'm inclined to think no seams at the shoulders. But pics are sparse

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what you mean by cloak?
I think this is part of the trouble. People call or all kinds of things I think. Her train cape/Pancho/cloak thing. I'm hoping to make a stand in one until more is known about what the fabric is. But was wondering about seams.
c00ea849759772b7e8555c0002e7b128.jpg

Oh, that's a cloak, but you're in the wrong thread to talk about it. I didn't look closely at it, because I'm avoiding all spoilers for The Last Jedi. (Even pics and I don't watch trailers.) I took a quick glance on my phone and then just scrolled past it here to respond to this. I didn't even know Rey had a cloak in The Last Jedi. (No worries about the pic, as it's impossible to avoid everything, but it is a spoiler, so you might want to move it to the other thread.)

You want to discuss this costume in the forum thread of it, which is here: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=276406&highlight=rey

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back