Rey Alternate Outfit? (possible spoilers)

Oh, that's a cloak, but you're in the wrong thread to talk about it. I didn't look closely at it, because I'm avoiding all spoilers for The Last Jedi. (Even pics and I don't watch trailers.) I took a quick glance on my phone and then just scrolled past it here to respond to this. I didn't even know Rey had a cloak in The Last Jedi. (No worries about the pic, as it's impossible to avoid everything, but it is a spoiler, so you might want to move it to the other thread.)

You want to discuss this costume in the forum thread of it, which is here: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=276406&highlight=rey
Oh! I'm so sorry! I had seen it discussed earlier in the thread so I just assumed it lived here. I'll bounce over to the other thread. Thank you. Again, sorry.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Oh! I'm so sorry! I had seen it discussed earlier in the thread so I just assumed it lived here. I'll bounce over to the other thread. Thank you. Again, sorry.

Don't stress it. I might be wrong on the thread thing. It's weird that it's the old trousers and such, but a cloak. I've never seen that combo. I assume from new movie, so better in that thread? But what do I know? ;)

Hello again everyone :)
I've been looking for something to use for the mesh section of the rucksack, and I'm wondering if this could work? In the brown colour of course.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Speaker-...hash=item1c8d628bca:m:mrs-OWU_etoYJItW1pXXOgg

Anyway maybe it's a bit of a weird suggestion but I can't really find much else, haha.

As for the rest of my costume progress...I've made the kneepads! :D And that's about it...I'm planning to finish off the pants this weekend though.

I've got fabric for the wrap shirt and the vest too. My vest fabric isn't a herringbone weave; I was having a lot of trouble finding anything like that. So the fabric I'm going to use isn't even wool, but it's a nice grey and wool-like and a good weight, so for my first/practice/test attempt it will do :) I hope one day to make it again with the proper fabric!

It would work, but something less solid, with larger holes would be better.

i saw inexpensive mesh sports ball bags at walmart once that looked about right....you would have to paint the mesh though.

Hello again everyone :)
I've been looking for something to use for the mesh section of the rucksack, and I'm wondering if this could work? In the brown colour of course.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Speaker-...hash=item1c8d628bca:m:mrs-OWU_etoYJItW1pXXOgg

Anyway maybe it's a bit of a weird suggestion but I can't really find much else, haha.

As for the rest of my costume progress...I've made the kneepads! :D And that's about it...I'm planning to finish off the pants this weekend though.

I've got fabric for the wrap shirt and the vest too. My vest fabric isn't a herringbone weave; I was having a lot of trouble finding anything like that. So the fabric I'm going to use isn't even wool, but it's a nice grey and wool-like and a good weight, so for my first/practice/test attempt it will do :) I hope one day to make it again with the proper fabric!

That mesh would work, but you can also buy sports mesh at Joann and just paint it. It worked really well on my bag. Only had to buy a small strip. Very inexpensive. Brown spray paint and done.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! It's been tricky finding all the materials I need as there's no fabric store in my town and only one (relatively small) department store. But your comments got me thinking and I found I had a few old mesh laundry bags just lying around...each has different size holes so I'm sure one of them will work! I'll try and post some pics in the next couple days cos I can't decide which is closest lol

Also, I ordered an enfield sling for the bag strap the other week and it arrived this morning. The colour is a lot lighter than I was expecting and I've realised that it was listed just as "OD", not "OD Green". Is there a difference? Did I actually buy the wrong colour?

So...I don't know how many people are still following this thread, but I have some good detail pics of this costume. A couple of friends saw it in person and got some excellent pictures. Is there anything anyone wants to see in particular?

So...I don't know how many people are still following this thread, but I have some good detail pics of this costume. A couple of friends saw it in person and got some excellent pictures. Is there anything anyone wants to see in particular?
Awesome! Is it from the display at the air and space museum? I hear it's there and have seen a few shots. I'm curious to see the texture of the shirt close up. And for a while now I've been researching handspun linen herringbone as the actual fabric for the vest. Any shots of the vest texture help.

Awesome! Is it from the display at the air and space museum? I hear it's there and have seen a few shots. I'm curious to see the texture of the shirt close up. And for a while now I've been researching handspun linen herringbone as the actual fabric for the vest. Any shots of the vest texture help.

Yes, that's the one! Here are your pics of shirt texture.
View attachment 787078 View attachment 787079 View attachment 787080 View attachment 787085

Here are some of the vest. I didn't know the bottom edge of the vest was raveled until I saw the pics.
View attachment 787082 View attachment 787083 View attachment 787084 View attachment 787086
If you need different angles, let me know. :)

Also, apparently the pants are microfiber suede and a light brown.

The attachments won't open. Not sure whats up. But, Ya, from the few pics of the museum display that I've seen those pants are suede. I don't even know nothing anymore. My friend sent me a picture that made the pants still look greenish. Like a brown/olive green. I'd love more pics of those to try and figure that color out. But suede? What is Rey doing with Suede pants? :facepalm

Here's a pic of some handspun antique linen herringbone. After seeing how the vest unraveled and the texture of it closer up in the film I just started thinking its not wool This stuff looks so spot on!

linen.jpg

Yes, that's the one! Here are your pics of shirt texture.
View attachment 787078 View attachment 787079 View attachment 787080 View attachment 787085

Here are some of the vest. I didn't know the bottom edge of the vest was raveled until I saw the pics.
View attachment 787082 View attachment 787083 View attachment 787084 View attachment 787086
If you need different angles, let me know. :)

Also, apparently the pants are microfiber suede and a light brown.

Nooo! Why must my attachments always do that? Fix coming right up....

I know, right? Suede?

On the fabric, that does look close, but the fabric on the display was a little thicker. Maybe a wool linen blend?

- - - Updated - - -

It definitely has a wooly look.

Rey Shirt 1.jpeg

Rey Shirt Texture 1.jpeg Rey Shirt Texture 2.jpeg

Those two pics have a pretty good view of the shirt texture, as well as the (ahem) suede pants. To be honest, I wonder if these are different pants than at the end of TFA. I don't remember all the seams.
Now to fix the vest images.
Rey Vest Detail 1.jpegRey Vest Detail 2.jpegRey Vest Detail 3.jpeg Rey Vest Detail 4.jpeg

I hope that helps you with determining texture.

As for the pants, here's a couple. They look different when taken in different angles, but I have it on good authority that they are a light brown. No olive. There is a yellow light over the costume, which probably didn't help the color. I am told that it is about the color of your light brown microfiber suede available at Hobby Lobby.

Rey Pant Color.jpeg Rey Pant Color 1.jpeg

This has definitely inspired me to start this costume, especially as I'm almost done with my Scavenger.

Last edited:
thanks @Goldhawk! I have a really great outfit made by Mirror Universe but now I'm so intrigued by the textures and fabrics. Kinda want suede pants just to say I have suede pants. I found this fabric for the shirt. Its on Etsy. https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1380955709

I had to dye it in a very light grey dye bath to cool it down. Worked great.

View attachment 787284

No problem! I would want those pics if it were me! :D
The texture on that fabric is really close, if not the same. Great find! What did you use for the lining?

- - - Updated - - -

The link doesn't appear to be working. Do you have a link to the listing directly?

The texture on that fabric is really close, if not the same. Great find! What did you use for the lining?

- - - Updated - - -

The link doesn't appear to be working. Do you have a link to the listing directly?
Whoops! Here ya go. This should work. For a lining I got a very light and soft and basic off-white cotton viscose jersey. Nothing special. I think it was$2 a yard. I read that her new shirt she wears with her new costume in the TLJ is made of the same fabric as the lining of this shirt. Interesting!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/478401542/organic-cotton-pique-fabric

- - - Updated - - -

Also, that vest has a partial suede lining. Oh Rey! Who knew you were so hip!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back