Rey Alternate Outfit? (possible spoilers)

Looks great and I am with red willow in that the bottom is further apart than it should be. But also I still think the edges need to be more finished. Aside from that it looks amazing.

It's the way it hangs for some reason, even when worn :/ not sure what to do about it. But I agree. And as for the edges, yeah my machine is fubared lol. I'll definitely be looking for an alternative way of doing it, I might have to do it by hand, yuck! Oh well!

I have virtually no sewing experience.

But just looking at it, i'm wondering if it you could try to make the front pieces wider than they need to be, like so they overlap. Then construct it, put it on and mark it where the excess needs to be cut to make the front evenly spaced?

So I've just finished my first version of the vest. I'll be ordering 100% wool for my next one. Hopefully this helps anyone out! Also, I would love some feedback!
Oh, and please ignore the bad stitch edge. My machine did not like the thick thread lol. I'm going to have to come up with a better option on version two!

View attachment 577065 View attachment 577066

This looks great! I'm curious as to what you did to get the collar to be seamless on the front. Did you make your own pattern? I haven't found anything other than some Chanel jacket knockoff patterns from Simplicity and Vogue. Just make it sleeveless and add a mandarin collar to it.

I'm thinking that without a princess seam it would be very difficult for the front panels to lay correctly. They're needed to shape the garment. I know we have nothing to really go off of other than one seriously blurry picture, but I am pretty sure some kind of princess seam is there leading up into the shoulder region and down to the peplum. It wouldn't fit around her chest and shape to her waistline at all if it didn't have it.

Yes, I added princess seams on the front, but I think I need to work on them. It is SOOO hard to tell the placement!!! I did make my own pattern, and this link here really helped me create the right shape for the collar: http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/4970/understanding-the-basic-shawl-collar-pattern

I'm on the hunt for a better pattern that I can alter, and I will keep you all posted when I find one!

I'm thinking of ordering this fabric. What do you guys think about the color? https://www.etsy.com/listing/189771447/sale-bty-grey-medium-weight-wool

I think that color is good. Might need to be darkened up a bit though if it's as light as it looks on my work monitor.

For a pattern, look at Simplicity 2284. It's a Chanel knock-off coat pattern. You could just make it sleeveless and you'll need to add the mandarin collar.

Owlfeathers You did a fantastic job for a first go at it! I agree with everyone else about the front opening not being the same width top and bottom. It's strange that it's doing that. Did you make the shirt, too?

Last edited:

6028 was what I was thinking of, but 1421 would give you a better starting point for the shawl collar look. You'd just have to take View B and alter the collar's placement. Then again, if you took 6028 you'd have a clean slate to work with. 1421 may be hard to get "right" as far as getting the collar to line up in the proper location.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back