Rey Alternate Outfit? (possible spoilers)

Always possible. Just wondering then what shirt do you think Could be altered to look like it or what pattern do you think can be altered slightly to make it look like it

(first post on the RPF ever lol)

But I think I found some fabric that might work well for Rey's vest. As hollyann said, it has a slight herringbone pattern to it (you can really tell when Rey is with Finn). And after scouting the internet I think I found a seller on Etsy who had pretty accurate fabric.

The first picture is taken outside in the shade, and the second is taken in direct sunlight. It is 100% wool as well.
IMG_3520.JPGIMG_3522.JPG

Samskinuity that fabric looks really good. How much do you think will be needed for the jacket and gloves? Maybe 2.5 yards?

Julietrose I was wondering about the hem, too. It could be bunched up, there's a lot of fabric on her left to indicate that, but on her right it does seem like it dips down in front from the back. The shirt is much longer than it is on the action figure either way. You can see it is about 4 inches below the hem of the jacket on pictures of her from the back.

So I just finished reading the novelization of The Force Awakens, and there is this line at the end of the book. It could or could not have significance, but in other parts of the book, the author has made an effort to describe things closely to the movie. This passage may hint at spoilers for VIII, so if you don't want to read the whole thing, here's the relevant bit:

"...the seals on the front of the jacket Rey was wearing" (This is the scene where she is leaving the Resistance Base)

"Standing at the foot of the ramp, an uncertain and uneasy Leia found herself fiddling with the seals on the front of the jacket Rey was wearing. Foolish nonsense, she told herself even as she continued. Unworthy of her status and position. But it felt so right, and so natural, to be doing so."

But I think I found some fabric that might work well for Rey's vest. As hollyann said, it has a slight herringbone pattern to it (you can really tell when Rey is with Finn). And after scouting the internet I think I found a seller on Etsy who had pretty accurate fabric.

The first picture is taken outside in the shade, and the second is taken in direct sunlight. It is 100% wool as well.
View attachment 576419View attachment 576420

Can you post a link for that fabric?!!! I have been searching all over for something like that! Squee!!!

Last edited:
Samskinuity
The fabric you found is great and really pretty.

View attachment 576419View attachment 576420

Last edited:
What is the weight of the fabric? To get the correct drape and shape, you are going to want coat weight which is a little heavier than suit weight.

The second picture in my last post has a long back and a slightly less long front(about 1 inch) with a split on both sides of the shirt(goes about 4-5 inches up from the hem) so maybe it is a split shirt that is under the vest?

Thank you! It took hours to find ;_;

As for the yardage amount I would do a mock up first to see how much you would need, since you have to factor in the shoulder pads as well as the arm warmers.

and the weight of the fabric I found is pretty sturdy, and has a good weight to it since it is 100% wool.
- - - Updated - - -

Can you post a link for that fabric?!!! I have been searching all over for something like that! Squee!!!

Here is the link to the fabric if anyone wants to purchase it! The shop owner is super nice! If you need more than the listed amount just message her and if she has some in stock she will make a custom listing for you!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/229438288/grey-herringbone-hand-felted-wool-fabric

Thank you!!!! I just finished most of my first version, and when I am done I will post it. It took about 3 yards, but you might not need that much, probably 2.5 yards, as I had to recut a few times. I will definitely be ordering some of that fabric, it looks so perfect!!!

Samskinuity thanks for posting the link! It's really pretty fabric.

My on-screen memory of it is that it has a bit more brown in it, but I could be wrong. It is so hard to tell in the pictures. In some of the photos it looks grey, and some it looks brown, but it is probably the lighting. But I thought it had some brown flecks in it. What does everyone else think?

Julietrose I looked at that pattern, too. The neck looks good, but the bottom would have to be modified to flare out more. I'm pretty sure there is a seam right around it right before the flare.

I'm working on the pants now modifiying a pair I have.

I just found someone's sketch of the vest and arms. http://m.imgur.com/a/FFq5L what do you think?

I think the vest and armwarmer look pretty good. I know the action figure shows a slit on the outside of the pant leg, but my memory from the film is that it was gathered, which I think you see in the "Art Of" book picture. I wish there were more pictures of the pants around. I am not sure about the colors either.

Samskinuity thanks for posting the link! It's really pretty fabric.

My on-screen memory of it is that it has a bit more brown in it, but I could be wrong. It is so hard to tell in the pictures. In some of the photos it looks grey, and some it looks brown, but it is probably the lighting. But I thought it had some brown flecks in it. What does everyone else think?

Julietrose I looked at that pattern, too. The neck looks good, but the bottom would have to be modified to flare out more. I'm pretty sure there is a seam right around it right before the flare.

I'm working on the pants now modifiying a pair I have.

I was looking at the pattern for more the neck and shoulder area anyways. From the waist area down is easy in comparison for a vest that uses a more stable fabric than stretch fleece. Besides I was thinking of just using the pattern to make a cheap non stretch fabric mock up and make the seams more like the movie one then have a good pattern that way. Heh

wow, that looks really great!

my only thought is that the opening looks wider at the bottom than the top. Maybe the bottom should come around more and be a little closer together?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back