Rey Alternate Outfit? (possible spoilers)

Just watched the film again and in my opinion the jacket and vambraces are grey Tweed,there was a pattern on the vambraces in the weave the wraps are the same as the desert wraps but in grey and her trousers are a grey/brown,I couldn't see the shin part of the trousers so no opinion on them,may have to wait for the DVD for a confirmation on them

image.jpeg

This is is the best picture I have found of the vest and sleeves. I still have not been able to find a picture of the pants but one step at a time right?

edit to correct spelling

image.jpg
This is a quick trace from the last pic I posted
image.jpg
What I think the shoulder looks like flat. 12 inches wide X 6 inches tall. 1 inch between middle of arches.

Let me me know what you think.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
View attachment 574663
This is a quick trace from the last pic I posted
View attachment 574665
What I think the shoulder looks like flat. 12 inches wide X 6 inches tall. 1 inch between middle of arches.

Let me me know what you think.

Thanks for posting the sketch. I wonder if the angle of the sides is steeper than you have drawn on the flat image of the shoulder? Look at these pictures again. I'm not sure though. Maybe what you've drawn would work when 3 dimensional, but it reminds me more of the pattern for the shoulder pieces I made for Eowyn's vest than Rey's shoulders. They just seem so much deeper to me. But maybe they are just bigger like the dimensions you have suggested. Also, they look rigid, almost tubular. When I first saw a picture of this costume my first thought was that it was felted and molded, as were her arm warmers (or arm guards. What are we calling them?)
Rey-Hero.jpgReyShoulders1.jpg

My question is how to do that rolled collar. Also, do you see on the inside of her collar (her right side) that piece of white? I wonder if it is a lining or the collar of her shirt? And what about the edges? They seem sort of rough, but not unravelling. This is another reason I thought the pieces might be felted.

If it is felt it looks like it might be stiffened over a corrugated pipe. Also it looks like the corners might meet up under the arm(or close to it) so I am wondering if maybe flexible plastic cut to the shape of the shoulder detail might be integrated to the shoulder to hold it. The same type of plastic used to hold the corners of a suit shirt collar more ridged.

To me it looks like the edges are actually finished. And in the case of the shoulder pieces they even seem like a folded over edge. As for the collar it looks like it is is one piece with the front of the vest so maybe starching that will make it more ridged and less likely to fall down. As for that little white spot inside the collar I am not sure but maybe it was rubbing in that area and irritating her so they added a piece of fabric to minimize irritation? But it doesn't look like a shirt collar for sure

image.jpeg Minus the necklace what do you think of the top? Not a good photo of the asymmetrical side but with maybe a little alteration it could work

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpeg From the back

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg Quick little mock up with paper of the shoulders what do you think? Actual measurements 12 cm x 6.5 cm. first line is at .5 cm and the rest are a cm after each other.

Julietrose, nice mockup! I compared your mockups to the photos, and I noticed on the action figure that the ends don't meet under her arm though.

contentious-spoiler-ridden-star-wars-rey-action-figure.jpg

The illustration may not be totally accurate, but you can clearly see it in this picture that the points do not meet. It stops before her armpit. It's not a full circular tube.

UnderArm.png

Putting the model together I was thinking about that too. I was thinking about seeing if I can make a paper model of the vest too to see if in miniature model can come up with a pattern of some sort (I am great with paper but crappy with fabric. At least then you can photocopy in to a large format from a mini paper pattern.

The picture that you posted of the armpit area brings up another question about the forearm sleeve and upper arm wrap. Do you think that the wrap goes all the way to the wrist and in the picture it looks like there is a seam on the outside of the outside of the forearm sleeve and it is assumed that there is a seam on the inside of the arm to match up with the hand part. So I am guessing that the forearm part is 3 pieces and not just two.

I am not sure if that is a seam on the forearm. I think that the quilted area is sewn on like a patch on top of the arm warmer. I'm guessing the wraps probably go all the way to her wrist.

A mini pattern would be cool. It sounds like a good way to work out the details. I've seen a crocheted version of the wrap costume someone made for an American Girl doll, so maybe someone could use it for that, too. :)

I was watching Clone Wars tonight and look what Padmé was wearing.

CloneWarsVest.JPG

The shirt that she is wearing looks like it's asymmetrical bottom hem. From the pictures I have seen

- - - Updated - - -

But if you are basing off of the figure than it would 100%(to me) work with just fixing the sleeves

Hi! I'm a new to this forum. I've gotten so much help from the other Rey thread. So, I thought I'd join this one. I'm currently working on this costume for my cosplay at the moment. For the outer pieces, I'm using a Grey Wool Heather fabric that I will distress. It's soft and less scratchy then 100% Wool. Using some batting in between two pieces of fabric to get that raised shoulder look. And using a Sailor Moon reference that will be slightly adjusted for both shoulder pieces.

sailor-moon-sailor-moon-quiz.jpg

Last edited:
The shirt that she is wearing looks like it's asymmetrical bottom hem. From the pictures I have seen
But if you are basing off of the figure than it would 100%(to me) work with just fixing the sleeves

what pictures? I have not noticed that.
Found this shirt on sale for $20 + shipping.
I like the look and the price of that shirt, but my GF seemed to think that the fabric it's made from would be too stretchy.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back