Rey Alternate Outfit? (possible spoilers)

I DID figure out how to lighten the fabric btw! When I went to distress it with sandpaper, I got the correct color and effect, making the herringbone not quite as distinct as before!

Oh Yes! I totally brushed my fabric to give it a softer handfeel. Although I used a mental teeth brush, sand paper sounds like a good idea too!

I have no idea if anyone has posted it but is anyone doing commissions of Her backpack? I seem to be terrible at making bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

76f23204aa9d17e3b504dedbcc2efb5f.jpg
I'm so excited that it's coming along!! I can't wait to finish it!

Owlfeathers > What fabric is that from Mood Fabrics? I went back to look at the 'good enough' fabric I locally sourced and now I'm thinking it isn't. :p I'll be great for my first draft at least.

Last edited:
So, all this time I have been doing the edges of the vest on my machine because I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to do the blanket stitch by hand, but this week I finally figured it out and I couldn't be more pleased! For those who don't follow me on FB, this is version 8.0 of my Rey costume lol. I'll be entering the whole thing in the costume contest at Celebration. I still have to put the holes in the gauntlets, remake my wraps, remake the bag, and make my staff, but I'm super stoked at how it's looking now! Especially the pants! They were a GoodWill find that I modified! And the color looks SO good outside!!!

20170201_142439.jpg 20170202_153337.jpg

How are your builds going? Anyone need any advice or help?

Any advise for the princess and neck seam? Those are killing me.

So the princess seams start about 3/4 the way down on the back. For both seams, I fold the fabric over, then place a scrap of the same fabric behind it, top stitching the entire thing on either side by machine. Then I go back and do what is called a ladder stitch.

ladder-stitch-diagram1.png

It's pretty simple once you get the hang of it, but it has to be done by hand. Hope that helps!

Any advise for the princess and neck seam? Those are killing me.
Owlfeathers nailed it, the only other thing I'd add was that I used weights to keep both sides firmly in place on a flat surface as I did the ladder stitch because I was afraid I'd pull too tight with the hand-sewing and close the gap. The weights (I just used cans of soup) helped keep everything in place and maintain the separation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone been accepted to RL without using a herringbone wool? I have a wool that's the perfect color but it's just a tight/small basket weave. The only herringbones I've found are the Marc Jacobs from Mood which is sold out and the other websites people have mentioned and they're a bit pricey...

Just finished catching up on this thread. Have a desert Rey but have wanted to do this one for ages, so with Mark Hamill coming to my town in April, I'm all in.

I have all the accessories from my other Rey at the ready, but just started the stuff unique to this one today.

Here's my shirt. I haven't cut it for length yet. Waiting until I get/make my vest, as I don't want to cut it too short, etc. Not weathered, either. It's a bit stretchy on the bottom, and I might make another a bit wider down there, but my desert Rey is that way, too, and it relaxed in time and does fine. We shall see.

But so far, so good, I think. It's a start, anyway.

C38G3HtUcAAkNLp.jpgC38G2i9UcAAPPfk.jpg

Uh oh. I just heard back from the Rebel Legion and they said that my back seams are too dark, which I agree with honestly but now I don't know what to do. The vest is made and I don't really feel like re doing it. I kind of feel like the vest is too light overall, is there any way to maybe dye the whole vest without it getting messed up or lose to herringbone pattern? Maybe a light spray dye? I'm so new with playing with wool. Any help or ideas?

Actually, it's grey, same as the collar, but I can see why you would use black, the groove is pretty dark! Hope this picture helps. However, I have been thinking for quite sometime that there are two different costumes she wore, in some shots I swear there are differences!

rey-pants.jpg

dcf78a1ae00e74511a79fd75d6e4960f.jpg
Here is a closeup on the seams that were there. I decided to close them up with invisible thread so it joins together, hiding hiding the dark lining and resubmitted
44f2387454c01aba0bb1276800311cd6.jpg

and now she said: I think also the reason that I thought that there was dark piping along the princess seams in the back is because some of the actual seam back there looks like the seam might be separating and also the stitching is very uneven.
Sigh. I'm stumped. Also she said that this is not a blanket stitch.
862713a1fe40bc51775e1ffbe53ba363.jpg
maybe it has to be a hand stitched blanket stitch?
I'm not going to lie, I'm feeling super deflated right now. :(

She said she updated my photos so the judges can look again. That makes me curious, how many judges look at the costume? Is she the end vote or just the spokesperson for a group? Does anyone know how it works?
This is my second costume with the Rebel Legion, the first time was nowhere near this hard. :( thankfully because I may have given up.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back