Anchorman Sex Panther display box and cologne

cannibal869

Hi all,

Wanted to see about getting some advice here - I know some people have previously made a replica prop of the Sex Panther cologne display box and panther head as shown in the movie Anchorman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ccp-lEmoAE

I was wondering - I bought some Sex Panther cologne (Growling box and imitation panther head bottle) and a display box and was wondering if you guys might have any advice about how to make the rising platform? I know the panther head bottle here isn't quite accurate, but it seems to be ok for the purposes of this display, which I plan on giving as a gift to a friend.

Here are some reference photos and things that I've found / bought on Amazon (amongst other sites)
41oPnHw570L._AA160_.jpg41cG1tzvPuL._AA100_.jpg
maxresdefault.jpgFF83292B-6B36-4527-B344-FBE633D4DE56_zpsslwfapnw.png9D016984-B2F2-4263-9CAE-42D1D473B7EC_zpswx18madv.jpg1D83F70E-C100-4555-9DEC-1F34DE1D1525_zpsbjdvnvqf.jpg

video clip of the "growl" (click the picture below)

Spring loaded is easiest, but not exactly accurate to the replica. I was going to just take the light activated roar module out of the cologne packaging and build it into the box.

any advice? thank you all in advance!
-Chris

and no, the actual cologne product doesn't smell like bigfoot's d!@k LOL

Last edited:
this is pretty sweet lol

i think if i had to do it ...i'd use a little servo from rc air planes....you know like the kind they use in the wings.
servo.jpg
then you'd have to hook it up to a micro controller of some kind and either a light sensor or movement sensor.

:cool

Hey Chris-

I answered at the other place.. :)

I mirrored the Arduino/servo approach as well..

would be very easy... let me know if you want any help.

the light activated 'roar' could possibly also trigger the movement up/down..etc..

Little update on the head progress:

Bought a bunch of small glass vials (with cork stoppers). I managed to grind down the "lip" using a combination of my lathe and a dremel tool grinding wheel.
83277C71-013C-4F62-AE7F-1D76854004BF_zpsrrgirpud.jpg
Next, I was able to use the band saw to get the pather's left ear off. Used the sanding wheel on the dremel to smooth out the cuts a little bit.
EA60D60F-2594-487F-846D-0586D6BA8B96_zpsdkiikbgm.jpg
Then I traced out where the ear will go and drilled out a hole to fit the neck of the vial
6F137584-B552-4CC7-B770-AF3AB7311629_zpsn7xfenci.jpg
Next, I had to widen out the bottom of the head cavity in order to adequately fit the vial.
955EE79C-9C92-4AA6-8D85-0B5BDEEFFC1D_zpsrrg0ubne.jpg

And here's the result - you can see the glass vial in place, with and without the cork for test fitting.
4C64E5E8-A5C6-4537-B3E7-B2A698411624_zpshojxvdm1.jpgAB928477-824E-4EB4-9750-A15EB321E654_zpsizxadtrd.jpg

The vial neck is now being glued in place. Once that has set, I plan on filling the rest of the cavity with some of the expanding foam sealer that you can get at the hardware store. That should provide enough stabilization for the glass vial.

Still gotta learn about the arduino stuff.... luckily I've still got 2 more months to get this out....

Cheers!
-C

NECROPOST update!!

This project is now finally and officially "DONE"!! (a year and a half late!?!?!?? I suppose having kids will do that to your timeframes LOL)

Much thanks to xl97 for his invaluable offline help rewriting the Arduino code to work with a roller switch! I (literally) couldn't have done it without your help, bro!

WARNING!!! ***NSFW LANGUAGE at the end***
- turn your volume down or don't blame me if people at work look at you funny :p

Oh well, at least the thing is ready for presentation as a belated birthday / Christmas gift this year!

enjoy!
-C

EDIT: for those of you who want a little better visualization of the internals and how the switch is placed:
Roller switch mechanism in the wall of the box using the guiding bars

and overall video

Last edited by a moderator:
Turned out great Chris!

Thanks for the props... but you pretty much had it yourself!

I'm sure the recipient will love it!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back