Han Solo ESB DL-44 out of foam for TFA Premiere

HeadMan90

So this was a quick one day build that i wanted to share. My reasoning behind this project was that I was wearing my ESB Han costume to the Force Awakens premiere Thursday night and I wanted a blaster for it. I knew most theaters have policies against blaster and weapons so i wanted to make something that was recognizable as Han's blaster but not be too realistic. So i settled on carving it out of foam and adding just enough detail to make it look good in the holster from a few feet away, but also be simple enough that it would still look obviously fake.

FullSizeRender.jpg
So i started just tracing the basic Mauser shape onto the foam and cut it out. Leaving off the trigger and the hammer to show that its not a functioning firearm. I made the end of the flash hider from a bit of plastic so it would be a bit more durable when being stuck down in the holster. There is also a plastic rod running from the end of the barrel into the main body to strengthen it.

After a ton of sanding on another block i had something that resembled the scope, added a few pen caps to it and it looked pretty good. After adding a cardboard scope mount, some random detail pieces, and a few screws to hold it all together, the gun was wrapped in foil tape and ready to paint.
IMG_1491.JPGIMG_1492.JPG
I sprayed everything black then sprayed silver on the flash hider for the main coats and then went back with a file to scrape some paint off of the foil tape to weather the gun and used a bit of brass paint for the scope. then painted to grips brown and glued on a thumb tack in the center of each for a bit more detail.
IMG_1508.JPGIMG_1509.JPG

Over all I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It cost me nothing as all my materials were scrap i had laying around from other projects and it was a fun way to spend an afternoon. Also it worked perfectly. It looked great in the holster at the premiere and my theater's staff had no problems with it.

Mind if I revive a 2-year old thread to tell you how amazing this is?! A brilliant idea for a theatre-safe blaster prop and it looks great as well.

I’m surprised this didn’t get any replies before.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back