PORTAL 2 - Animatronic Wheatley - 05.09. - Painting and Weathering!

Re: PORTAL 2 - Animatronic Wheatley - 23.07. - UPDATE: It's taking shape!!

Mother of God. This is unreal.

Sorry to hear about your pictures. You may be better off putting the watermark across the diagonal.

Absolutely astounding! I wish I could understand the finer points of your build but your results clearly speak for themselves. Can't wait to see the next installment!

This is fantastic, such amazing detail.
Makes me want to go and play Portal 2 again!

Thanks a lot man, really appreciate it. HELL YEAH! I'm gonna tackle it that weekend.
What a game, it never gets old haha.

Mother of God. This is unreal.

Sorry to hear about your pictures. You may be better off putting the watermark across the diagonal.

Yeah I thought about that but this will do the job just fine. I don't want to have a line/logo straight through the image, even if it's nearly impossible to see. Just not my thing, it ruins the image for everyone.

Absolutely astounding! I wish I could understand the finer points of your build but your results clearly speak for themselves. Can't wait to see the next installment!

Appreciated man!
Any specific points I could explain to you in more detail? I try to not get too detailed when it comes to descriptions as most of the readers don't really care about this and see it more of a distraction.

But I'm more than happy to present you with as much as information as you need :) Just hit me up!

Just saw your picture on Reddit and my first thought was ''someone else using his picture'', glad to see you water mark our picture

Just saw your picture on Reddit and my first thought was ''someone else using his picture'', glad to see you water mark our picture

Haha yeah that was fortunately just me :lol Thanks for pointing out though!

Is it just me jumping up and down, or they are others doing the same thing?:eek:cool Way cool update and no, you cannot explain too much! Love the build, the tuto and the sharing:)

Is it just me jumping up and down, or they are others doing the same thing?:eek:cool Way cool update and no, you cannot explain too much! Love the build, the tuto and the sharing:)

bc7.png
:D Thanks a lot man!!

I'm doing my best to fit everyone's needs haha. Gonna try to center somewhere around the middle and if something's unclear I'm more than willing to explain stuff and maybe make someone's life easier when they want to try something similar.

Appreciated man!
Any specific points I could explain to you in more detail? I try to not get too detailed when it comes to descriptions as most of the readers don't really care about this and see it more of a distraction.

But I'm more than happy to present you with as much as information as you need :) Just hit me up!

No no...Unfortunately this is already way more detailed than my skills can comprehend! If I were to question, I would start from the very beginning - the modelling, the electronics, everything. So I am just content to follow along. All I ask is that you keep us updated and go into as much detail as you wish! We're loving this over here. :)

No no...Unfortunately this is already way more detailed than my skills can comprehend! If I were to question, I would start from the very beginning - the modelling, the electronics, everything. So I am just content to follow along. All I ask is that you keep us updated and go into as much detail as you wish! We're loving this over here. :)

Fair enough, just hit me up if there's something in particular you want to know and I might miss to explain. I'm so grateful there are a few people enjoying this project as much as I do. Keeps the motivation level up all the time :)

Woah if I would go that route and explain the 3D modelling, that would take a while haha. Overall I did the math and spent nearly 8 months just planning with a few pauses.
Can't believe how time passes by. Crazy :wacko

PORTAL 2 - Animatronic Wheatley - 18.08. - UPDATE: EYE MOVEMENT!!

Hellou! I'm back! :)

I've been working on Wheatley's movement quite a bit as I had quite some spare time.
I need a few little things get done to complete the whole mechanism of the eye but I plan to be ready by the end of next week. Fingers crossed :)

And this time no more text, just some moving images... enjoy! :)

Feel free to ask questions if there are any.

Mario

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: PORTAL 2 - Animatronic Wheatley - 18.08. - UPDATE: EYE MOVEMENT!!

Wow. I've been planning an animatronic wheatley for over a year now and just stumbled upon this thread. Can't believe i missed it. Impressive stuff PropBox. I've already revised parts of my intended design based off your work. Any chance we could get some pictures or possibly a video of the servo setups driving the eye there. The 123D snaps are pretty, but nothing beats a video for showing how little mechanical setups work.

Ok. That is freakin' AWESOME! Now I can't wait for the next update!

Wow. I've been planning an animatronic wheatley for over a year now and just stumbled upon this thread. Can't believe i missed it. Impressive stuff PropBox. I've already revised parts of my intended design based off your work. Any chance we could get some pictures or possibly a video of the servo setups driving the eye there. The 123D snaps are pretty, but nothing beats a video for showing how little mechanical setups work.

I will try to include the servo mechanics for the eye movement in my next video aswell as the one's driving the eyelids and the front-ring.
And I'm with you there... nothing's better than good old video footage with parts moving and some LED blinky-blinky :)

Functionwise it's basically this technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jqvu_MQ5pc
The pupil is mounted on a cardan-joint and driven by two servos, one at the top, one at the left side in my case.

Hope that clears things up a little bit. I would post a image, but I'm not in my workshop :(

Ok. That is freakin' AWESOME! Now I can't wait for the next update!

Great you like it man! :D

Really, really impressive. Beautiful work.

Really appreciated, thanks a lot :)

Whoa- this is some AMAZING work!
I'm definitely gonna follow this! :D

Thanks man, great to have you onboard :D
I'm currently working on the inner sphere to make it look worn out. I hope to get some pictures ready by this week :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back