The Expanse: Props & Found Parts

just wanna put it out there if anyone was interested in this, cause I've seen so many ones being sold got it wrong. The scirocco badge Simplified Chinese wordings should say 迎面而來的风暴 (the oncoming storm), most sellers wrote it as 迎而而來的风 (which would translate to roughly "coming now now wind")

That would be my fault. I do not speak Chinese, my friend Adam is fluent in Japanese and "迎而而來的风" was the closest that we could match to the original. I put a disclaimer on every site that I uploaded that to stating the kanji was missing a symbol and probably incorrect, but since several of them do not have copyright protections the image swam off into the internet without those disclaimers.
I have since corrected the works on RedBubble and DeviantArt with the proper kanji.

They have some stuff on display at SDCC 2017, right now.

Not my pics:

Attachments

• DFORiC6UIAAfACB-1.jpg
    DFORiC6UIAAfACB-1.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 521
  • DFNUtpJU0AAgXhP.jpg
    DFNUtpJU0AAgXhP.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 459
Sorry, late to the party. Looking at trying to re-create the belter vac suit as well, and these posts are extremely helpful! Trying to figure out what material they are using and what I should use as a "base". Was thinking a rubber chem suit, but I don't think you can paint those (and they usually come in bright colors). Dive suits are the right color (black), but they are tighter to the skin.

Any thoughts/ideas?

No idea what the suits are made of – they do seem to have the sort of stiffness and smoothness I think wetsuits have, but there's no way that'd be breathable or comfortable.

If I was making one from scratch, I'd go hunting for a cotton (or natural fiber) based jumpsuit of some kind. It takes some looking, but I've seen a few online.

I've seen some threads here about making Alien / Nostromo crew jumpsuits, which involved dyeing and / or reworking pockets & tailoring, etc – might be a good place to start if you do wanna go for it.

-MJ

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 8.35.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 8.35.15 AM.png
    84.4 KB · Views: 284
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 8.33.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 8.33.12 AM.png
    111.9 KB · Views: 380
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 8.33.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 8.33.54 AM.png
    177.5 KB · Views: 284
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 8.32.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 8.32.30 AM.png
    111.9 KB · Views: 291
No idea what the suits are made of – they do seem to have the sort of stiffness and smoothness I think wetsuits have, but there's no way that'd be breathable or comfortable.

If I was making one from scratch, I'd go hunting for a cotton (or natural fiber) based jumpsuit of some kind. It takes some looking, but I've seen a few online.

I've seen some threads here about making Alien / Nostromo crew jumpsuits, which involved dyeing and / or reworking pockets & tailoring, etc – might be a good place to start if you do wanna go for it.

-MJ

That's pretty much how I did my MCRN uniform. by taking a flightsuit and using it as a "base". I could get some second hand flight suits off ebay that would be close in look, but not feel. I was even wondering if there is some kind of material I could spray plasti-dip or similar on something like that to give it that rubber-y look....may try some test swatches to see.

Thanks!

I am temporarily using a standard jump suit I am hiring a seamstress to make me out of a breathable polar tech fabric285 g/m² soft shell—50% recycled polyester, 42% polyester, 8% elastane double weave
Hope that helps IMG_5521.JPG

I am temporarily using a standard jump suit I am hiring a seamstress to make me out of a breathable polar tech fabric285 g/m² soft shell—50% recycled polyester, 42% polyester, 8% elastane double weave
Hope that helps View attachment 746310

Sounds great! Is it the kind of fabric generally available at chain fabric stores, or is it special order?

I'm considering a Miller space suit costume (or maybe a P&K one). You guys have been so helpful narrowing down everything.

I was wondering, do we have a source on the harness he wears? Or is it an actual combat vest? I know there's a holster for his Rhino on it. Also, I'm having trouble finding the right texture for the orange on his suit. I was thinking of sewing black bits on a regular orange flight suit, but I'm wondering what the orange is actually made out of given the odd texture:
View attachment 721001

It seems like the forearm orange might be a rougher material than the rest.

To me, his harness looks like a heavily modified Blackhawk style tac vest. It's probably using a knockoff BH vest as a base since the shoulder pad on the real BH vests are different. Oddly, his vest has 2 pads (one on each shoulder), these vests normally only have one pad on the right shoulder. I don't know if any of the knockofs come with a pad on both shoulders or not. Anyway, these vests come in 2 versions, one with mag pouches on both sides of the vest and one with a pistol holster on the left side; the holster version (commonly called a crossdraw) is by far the most common these days but I can't tell from the screencaps which version they're using.

After a little digging, I think I've found a potential source for the base Miller vest, it's the classic original Blackawk style vest but with the shoulder pads over both shoulders. It's made by Condor and called the Elite Tactical Vest and it can be found from various retailers, including Amazon, for $63 US.
81dWeJGBwxL._SL1500_.jpgattachment.jpg

I think I might have found what they used for Miller's harness, it looks like it might be a Guardian Fall protection safety harness that's been modded by the costume dept. It matches very well except for the color and whatever those big things on the shoulder strap are.

attachment.jpg71H7yVS6oNL._SL1500_.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back