Star Wars Marathon

KrangPrime

Master Member
anyone else going to see all 6 movies?

I'd like to see 3 4 and 5 in theaters again....but not all in a row. it'd
be nice if disney could release them in theaters in a row like they did in 97.

I have a friend who is currently in the middle of doing this. He's already exhausted. He's been there since, like, 5am Eastern. And he's on the West Coast.

I'm doing my own marathon at home, but not just the six movies. I'm also throwing in The Clone Wars, Lego Star Wars The Padawan Menace, The Star Wars Holiday Special, Caravan of Courage, and the Battle for Endor - all in the order that they take place.

I'm currently in Episode IV, but I'm going to need to replenish my liquor supply for the next one.

You're missing Rebels in there.

I've actually decided not to watch any of the movies in the lead-up.

I've maintained a near total media blackout on the new film. I don't know the plot, I know only a little of the casting stuff, I know a couple character names and vehicle/armor designs, and that's about it. I want to judge the film on its own merits.

I think the only thing I'll probably spoil myself about is finding out whether Han dies, and that's just so that I won't be shocked and taken out of the film. The last time I watched a movie where a beloved (arguably, my favorite) character died was Serenity, and it TOTALLY killed my enjoyment of the film in the moment. I had been absolutely riveted up until that point, just letting the film wash over me, like being on an awesome rollercoaster ride, and that one death just knocked me right out of the film altogether. So, to avoid THAT experience and otherwise be able to enjoy the film, I'll try to find out before I go in. But that's literally the only thing I don't want to be a surprise. Everything else, I'd rather just be a total blank slate for, and that includes not having a "But why wasn't it like the old ones?!" sense.

Over the years, I've come to accept that the different "phases" of Star Wars have very different tones. The first three films are basically a space fairy tale. The PT is...um...I don't know what, but it's its own thing. Clone Wars is (in my opinion) what the PT should have been (and I may have to revisit ROTS after I finish Clone Wars). Rebels comes closest to the vibe of the OT, but in its own very-much-an-ensemble way. So, I'll expect this film to be different, and I don't want some other flavor lingering on my mental palate when I consume the new film.

This was my marathon, good old untouched VHS versions. Had quite a few versions to pick from.

12346226_1170731802956977_276033489_n.jpg

I'm not watching the clone wars and Rebels TV shows. I just watched the Clone Wars movie. Just the stuff in my DVD/Blu-Ray collection.

Ahhh. That makes more sense. I was gonna say, getting through six seasons of Clone Wars (plus the Tartakovsky stuff) is...ambitious to say the least.

I'm seeing episode 7 tomorrow, gonna watch V and VI today since i watched IV yesterday. I'm not a fan of the prequels but if i had to pic a favorite it would be ROTS.

I watched the Redletter Media reviews of the prequels... I got all the same info, but while actually being entertained and learning more about good story.

Forgot to mention that I am throwing in Fan Boys and Spaceballs as well.

I tried to watch Fanboys, but I can't get passed how "obvious" the nerd humor is. All lines are aimed for the big audience... they know Darth Vader. They know "I am your father" and heavy breathing... All my nerdy friends don't touch on obvious discussions or quote obvious parts of the movies that have been done to death.

Also, the Star Wars like music is awful... just pony-up for the real music

Watched part of A New Hope today at the theater today. Didn't have time for the whole marathon--or even all of ANH. But the portion I did see was extremely nostalgic, up there on the big screen. In spite of the irksome Special Edition additions, like rats and dinosaurs in the Mos Eisley streets, and Greedo getting a shot off. Thankfully it was the most recent SE version, in which Han and Greedo shoot simultaneously. But still, an abomination that Han doesn't shoot him before he can get a shot off. It completely alters Han's character.. Changing that scene to allow Greedo to get off a shot first (or at all), was the biggest transgression of Lucas' career...and that includes Jar Jar and Howard The Duck.

The Wook

hey now, I know this will totally make all my criticism invalid by saying this, but I LIKED howard the duck. Plus we got a scantily clad lea thompson from it hitting on a duck puppet. what's not to love ;o)?

I actually thinnk darth's 'NOOOOOO!' at the end of ROTJ was just as bad as greedo shooting first. proved that old lucas had lost it by that point and people where afraid to tell him 'hey, all these pointless changes don't mean anything and are NOT good ideas'. I mean, just making Jabba's door bigger when most of the people wouldn't even notice is clear signs of OCD ;o).

in other news, I think i'm the only one who has not seen the new movie yet. between a radio event yesterday, very little sleep in between, I just havn't had the time to do much of anything yet.

We are watching the OOT (restored) followed by Robot Chicken Star Wars and finishing with The Force Awakens on Christmas day.

I managed to get pneumonia this at the end of last month, so managed to stay in bed for two weeks. Getting through all the movies was a given.

After watching all the "funny" new CG additions to the original series, i finally changed all my movies to the unaltered versions. So worth it.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back