Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

Vivek

Master Member
This is the post-release thread for Star Wars: The Force Awakens with spoiler discussion.

The worldwide premiere for the movie was tonight (Dec 14). Press reviews are embargoed till Dec 16 Wednesday 12:00 AM midnight, but Twitter and social media reactions are allowed. Of course some viewers outside the press still might end up posting full reviews soon.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Trailer (Official) - YouTube

CRnIPhQUYAAoupy.jpg

Attachments

• CRnIPhQUYAAoupy.jpg
    CRnIPhQUYAAoupy.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 131
  • CRnIPhQUYAAoupy.jpg
    CRnIPhQUYAAoupy.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 156
  • CRnIPhQUYAAoupy.jpg
    CRnIPhQUYAAoupy.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 141
  • CRnIPhQUYAAoupy.jpg
    CRnIPhQUYAAoupy.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 146
Last edited by a moderator:
I have just arrived from a gala premiere screening.

I had read most of the spoilers and the major fan theories were true, so there weren't many surprises... but it was still very overwhelming.
Mostly because Rey, and also Finn and Poe Dameron are very intense characters.

Overall, it felt too fast. I saw it in digital IMAX 3D, and as usual with 3D things often move too fast for the eye to see. In about 24 hours I will see it again in 2D - like J.J.Abrams intended it - and after that I should be able to make a better assessment.

Disappointments include:
- Max von Sydow got much too little screen time.
- The major plot is too much like ANH. It felt almost like a remake of ANH.
- Friggin "Death Star 3".
"Oh no, this is not a death star. Let's show with this diagram comparing the size of the Death Star to this new weapon. This is much worse": That is literally what was in the movie. RIDICULOUS!
- Kenny Baker did not get an acting credit, only as "R2 consultant"
- No opening fanfare. SIlence over the Lucasfilm logo. Then the Star Wars theme.
- "Hey look at my droid arm. It is red! Can you see it? It is not its usual gold colour. How weird!"
- Kylo Ren's real name is not Jacen. The EU is definitely out.
- No Twi'leks. :p

Last edited:
Does it feel like a good stand alone movie, or does it heavily depend on the upcoming sequels to finish the story?
I sure hope Kylo isn't a one and done baddie, but at the same time I'd like there to be some closure at the end of the film, ya know?

I won't be seeing it for a little while, so I'll just anxiously wait to read a scene by scene review of the film.

It is very much set up for a sequel. Several people I went with said that they did not feel like it had an ending but was just the beginning of the story.
I would say that this is more than anything the movie that Disney executives want.

My thought at the end is that the next screenwriter is going to have a difficult time meeting expectations.

Last edited:
Managed to see the film tonight. I thought it was enjoyable, and the funniest star wars film so far (not in an episode I kinda way). The problem this film has for me is that people have hyped it so much that they are expecting an overwhelming masterpiece. This it is not. The time gap between this and rotj leaves a massive void, and you just have to kinda accept that (until rogue one/episode viii atleast). Despite this being a BIG film I didn't get that sense of scope of the star wars universe, and even more so, I didn't feel this had such a complete story, it just felt like things happening, and pretty much the same plot line as the originals as others have mentioned. This does feel like the beginning of what could be a massive story, and it does leave you itching for episode viii because I think that is gonna be the big test, and we are going to get a lot more with that. A few more things, John Williams score for me was hardly noticeable, and I want to see the Knights of Ren, like they weren't even in the film, just that one flash. Was expecting more from the Skywalker thing as well, but it does sound like im moaning a lot. You will have fun seeing this, you will woop and cheer, and be sad, it hits a lot of notes. There are some amazing visuals, and nothing looks overproduced. It will probably surprise you in that what youve seen in the trailers, is kinda very different to what you'll see in the film.

Guess ill pop in with my two credits...

Hello, im Dawn Bright, proud member of the 501st and I was given the honor of being Kylo Ren on the Red Carpet..

3Wpf5u4.jpg

Any human being on or near that movie on Monday I hope feels incredibly grateful and honored to have been there. LFL gave us a gift, a true gift to their fans, so seeing such rather untastly/unsavory reviews just seems so sour. ....

I was given the honor to watch the Movie front row center from the Dolby theater with the cast (no 3d)

FOR THE RECORD. I would NOT Have posted this review If i did not LOVE the movie

I am a die hard fan of Starwars and if i didnt like it there is no way in hell i would go blasting my salty reviews online after LFL gave us that opportunity.
Id keep my gosh darn mouth shut
BUT
after reading the above I cant help but say something.
The following is honest and IMHO (just like the above)

Kylo Ren is officially my favorite character in the whole STARWARS UNIVERSE
(my other favorites: (for peoples comparisons) Revan, Starkiller, Palpatine, Padme and Obi-Wan Kenobi)

Furthermore there is a scene in the movie that is now my favorite of all 7 movies.
It is also a scene that I cried for ten minutes watching.....
I then went home, remembered and began to cry again.....

I feel like JJ truly delivered.
He made a movie that both fans of the Prequel and fans of the OT will Love.

I felt like they need to reveal to much information in a 2.5 hour film

it needed to be 45 minutes longer.

I was left happy but WANTING MORE! (....so JJ)

If i had to rank my favorite Starwars Movie from Most to least its Ep 7, 3, 5, 1, 6, 4, 2

I cant ******* wait to see this movie again and Thursday can NOT come soon enough.

I want to post spoilers so badly... I just honestly hope that you guys go and see this movie eyes wide open,

I read every spoiler from MSW to every reddit post for the last 8 months and not many folks were right and NO one person got it completly right.

I love how there was no skirting around. It was "this is what it is" no secrets.

The movie is so real. The props are soo real

Maz is so amazing I thought i would hate her. Shes just amazing,

I would have loved to have seen more MVS but you know what. what he DID have was GREAT. Why would we need more of a minor character?!

I can tell that they had to cut so much. There is so much story and so much story to still tell.

I early wait EP 8 with so much excitement.

ZBs9lg3.jpg

Last edited:
I have just arrived from a gala premiere screening.

- The major plot is too much like ANH. It felt almost like a remake of ANH.

Did we see the same movie? :p I dont feel that way at all

I feel like there was 6 stories going on and while we did have a HUGE Planet that destroys other solar systems the rest of the movie was so vastly different!

The whole Starkiller to me felt like it was one of the less important parts in the movie and the overarching story was centered and featured a wide variety of other aspects

- - - Updated - - -

Does it feel like a good stand alone movie, or does it heavily depend on the upcoming sequels to finish the story?
I sure hope Kylo isn't a one and done baddie, but at the same time I'd like there to be some closure at the end of the film, ya know?

I won't be seeing it for a little while, so I'll just anxiously wait to read a scene by scene review of the film.

SO MANY QUESTIONS ANSWERED
SO MANY NEW QUESTIONS!!!

So many questions unanswered!!!

Its the perfect set up

Its like they are saying Goodbye to the old cast and In with the new.

But they had to do this in 2 hours.

It needed to be a 3.5 hour movie

Kylo has perfect closure at the end, He is just beginning his path to who is really is..

He is a flower and He is "budding"

Any human being on or near that movie on Monday I hope feels incredibly grateful and honored to have been there. LFL gave us a gift, a true gift to their fans, so seeing such rather untastly/unsavory reviews just seems so sour. ....
I am a Star Wars fan first, and a member of the 501st long down on the list. Yes, I was there to promote Star Wars, yes - that is why Disney invited us, I don't pretend otherwise. And we were a small group among many people from media, celebs and I-don't-know-what.
I love Star Wars so much, and that is why I criticize it. If you don't have a critical eye of Star Wars, if there are not things you love and hate about Star Wars, then you are not a true Star Wars fan, as I see it. Discuss the good and bad things about Star Wars films is for many fans what it is to be a fan and that is what Star Wars fans do.

That said. There are lots of great things about the movie and there are some bad, but it is much easier to list the bad parts and I was tired - midnight after a troop with no supper.
I will talk more after the second viewing.

Did we see the same movie? :p I dont feel that way at all

I feel like there was 6 stories going on and while we did have a HUGE Planet that destroys other solar systems the rest of the movie was so vastly different!
I'm talking about the bigger story, yes, not the personal journeys of the protagonists.
* The droid protagonist in the movie carries the MacGuffin that the Big Bad Empire is looking for.
* Young orphan on a desert planet befriends droid protagonist, escapes on the Millenium Falcon, gets Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber from a wise sage, learns the way of the Force and blows it up.
* Mentor killed at the end by someone who was once close to him while the young heroes watch.
* Ends with the "Death Star" being attacked while it is about to fire on the "Rebel" base and the X-wing guys fly in trenches to blow it up, which they manage to do just in time.

Kylo has perfect closure at the end, He is just beginning his path to who is really is..

He is a flower and He is "budding"
Kylo Ren is the whiny kid of this trilogy. Literally.

Last edited:
Found this below. Is it essentially correct?

"An astromech droid arrives on a lawless desert planet, and having gotten plans crucial to the survival of a noble galactic organization Leia Organa helps spearhead, it goes off and is found by a desert dweller. After that droid leaves, the place he escaped from is burned to the ground by the ruthless stormtroopers of an Imperial, tyrannical organization, who are hunting said information. The organization is headed by a psychopathic military officer and a black robed/masked, red lightsaber-wielding Dark Side Force user. The aforementioned desert dweller is eventually followed by said Imperial organization and escapes using the Millennium Falcon. With the help of an old, wizened and knowledgeable mentor figure who explains the truth and the lore behind the Force and the Jedi, the desert dweller finds out about the history of their family around the time they enter a den of aliens, smugglers, criminals and the like. Eventually, the desert dweller and mentor find themselves on a gargantuan, spherical superweapon capable of destroying celestial bodies. On said superweapon, the old, wizened mentor comes face to face with the Dark Side, black-garbed Force user, who he used to be a father figure and friend towards. The old, wizened mentor putting up no defense, the Force user cuts him down with his lightsaber. Though only having known him for a couple days at most, the desert dweller is distraught. Eventually, after a trench run involving X-wings and TIE fighters, the spherical superweapon is incapacitated. The heroes have saved the day, though the Dark Side Force user lives on and the Imperial organization will almost certainly strike back at some point. Fear not, though! The desert dweller will soon be off to a remote planet where an old Jedi Master waits in self-imposed exile to teach them the ways of the Force in preparation for their eventual battle against the Dark Sider and his master, the head of the Imperial organization, a mysterious, robed, pale, wrinkled, ugly, old man who is very powerful in the Dark Side of the Force.

No, people aren't just freaking out about the superweapon."

Ok I haven't seen it yet but from what I've been told by people who's opinions I trust is that while the movie does echoe ANH it's the new elements that are really it's strong points.

Ben

Well, im gonna say that from what ive seen and heard that it has cemented my views of not seeing TFA ever. I had no interest anyway, and im lucky my 7 year old lad love the OT and vintage toys-although at the moment Star Wars is completey off his rader, replaced by Marvel superheroes and Batman and the like. Im actually quite sad that they got JJ to direct this and didnt use George lucas original concepts at all for this.

I do however hope that most got what they wanted out of this move :)

WOW so 100% at rotten tomatoes makes you not wanna see it ever. Dude 99% of reviews I've read are positive.I for one praise them for getting JJ to do it.

- - - Updated - - -

Although I do understand the George's ideas part. That ship has sailed though and I think they've chosen the right path.

Well, im gonna say that from what ive seen (not much) and heard (other peoples opinions) that it has cemented my views of not seeing TFA ever.

Fixed that for you.

If you have no interest in seeing a film because it's not a genre that your interested in then I understand, but boycotting a movie based on scraps of information and imagery is very narrow minded IMO.

What happened to reserving judgement until you have seen the movie? I imagine a court room drama based on your rationale:-

Judge: Has the jury reached a verdict?
Jury: we have your honor
Judge: what say you?
Jury: Based on the thin circumstantial evidence and the biased witness testimony we find the defendant guilty of first degree murder with the death penalty applied on no chance of reprieve. Ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in france and I have watched episode 7 today (no spoilers here) I only can say I am happy.

There are a lot of things and I will need to watch it again many times.

I also can say It's really better than episode 1...

I think the special effects are not the most important things in episode 7 and now I want to watch episode 8 !!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back