Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

Actually the major reviews for TPM were pretty middling. And TPM currently sits at 55% Rotten. TFA still at 95% this morning. That's not fanboys, that's critics.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-review-752675

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/r...enace-19990519

http://www.nytimes.com/movie/review?...56C0A96F958260

Just recall, the critics actually raved about Episode 1 when it came out. That installment had been praised by critics for being “deliriously inventive,” “an astonishing achievement in imaginative filmmaking,” and “captivating.”

Right now the hype has everyone excited and possibly seeing through rose colored glasses. They almost feel they HAVE to like it (or they are not a real fan.... See what I did there ;) ) I look forward to reviews a little down the road after critics and fans have had time to digest everything.

... it leaves the Prequels effortlessly gathering dust in the cupboard.
So well done and job done . Thank you Disney, Lucasfilm ,JJ and everyone involved for bringing so much back from such a long time ago in that Galaxy so very far far away.And to George Lucas for having the courage and generocity to let somebody else take over the reins of what was ultimately his vision. For all that was past and now all that is present ,well, I really ,really just can't thank you enough.

PS And another thing. I predict that the debate and speculation as to what will happen in VIII is going to be as fierce and wide ranging as at the end of TESB And the whole of TFA!!!! Bryancd you're work here is not done!

I agree with the totality of your (personal) review, and I couldn't have said it better.
I quoted your conclusion for extra emphasis.

I loved the film for what it wants to be and what it is.

Hi People,
I only want to know 2 things, and feel free to message me instead of doing spoilers if you'd like :).
Rey and Finn's last names or lineage, if they are given. JJ made a big deal about saying the names have been withheld so I am really wanting to know. I am hoping that Rey is a Kenobi (my personal favorite character in the 6 films).

The ANH parallels that everyone has mentioned are obvious, too obvious to not be intentional. Given the setup, it actually made some sense in universe with Kylo's Vader worship, and they obviously wanted to lure the audience back with a sense of familiarity before branching out more with the new characters and such in future movies. I was fine with it, but the overall story wasn't terrible original. Everything else felt much more fresh though.

BB-8 was a star. The "acting" was cute and hilarious, especially the exchange with Rey and Fin on the Falcon. I'm not sure if anyone else has noted it, but BB-8's voice sounds exactly like the Bebot iPhone app. Maybe they used it?

Some of the old elements were a bit much at times, but it didn't really bother me, it just felt unlikely. Luke's lightsaber was just in that building the whole time, the Falcon was just sitting there as the first ship in range, a few other minor things. It just made the universe feel a bit smaller.

I loved the fighting style all around. Those stormtroopers were going down in all sorts of glorious ways, and I never got tired of seeing them fly. The lightsaber fights weren't pretty, they were frantic, a little clumsy, and much like a real sword fight where you're both going to get hurt, and it's not going to be a 15 minute choreographed dance routine. The lack of skill of the characters made the fights much better.

The new characters were all great. Fin, Poe, and Rey carried the movie really well, and they've all got a lot of room for development. They've definitely set it up like the OT, with some big reveals, and others that you can see are yet to come. The dialogue all felt much more real than the prequels, and the humour flowed naturally from it for every character. Han and Chewy made an amazing return, and were a ton of fun.
I really didn't like Kylo Ren or Snoke at all though. Kylo Ren was frat-boy copycat criminal, and Snoke was just CG creepy. The CG characters all felt a little creepy compared to the physical characters for me.

I also didn't like the ending. They spend the whole movie trying to find Luke, but BB-8's map is incomplete. Then at the end R2-D2 just decides to wake up now and had the other 90% of the map the whole time. It felt like a rushed ending to set up the next movie. Maybe I missed something. Luke looked awesome in the Jedi robes with his contractually obligated beard though.

Overall I really enjoyed it. I don't consider myself a Star Wars "fan" though, so now it's like I'm on the opposite side as the whole JJ Star Trek thing. :lol It felt like a long movie, but not because it was slow or badly paced, just because it was packed with a lot to catch up on and establish. It flowed quite well.

Just back from seeing it, the falcon has never looked better, although it does seem to be bordering on indestructible at times.

Some of the dialogue is a bit too hip and modern, droid please, but got to move with the times I guess.

The death that most of us knew was coming was handled well, and I feel the next movies will do fine with the newer cast front and centre.

I enjoyed this film loads while I was in there, but I came out slightly disappointed.

Its the lack of Luke that took the edge off for me, they talk about him all the way through the film, the whole basis of it is a search for him, and when they finally get to him at the end he doesn't even get a line?

Bet he was glad to have grown that beard for his twenty seconds of screentime.

Hi People,
I only want to know 2 things, and feel free to message me instead of doing spoilers if you'd like :).
Rey and Finn's last names or lineage, if they are given. JJ made a big deal about saying the names have been withheld so I am really wanting to know. I am hoping that Rey is a Kenobi (my personal favorite character in the 6 films).
I can answer that:
Finn. He doesn't have a last name. He doesn't even have a first name, as "Finn" is what Poe Dameron decides to call him upon hearing Boyega's character only goes by the designation FN2187.
As for Rey, here last name (and lineage) is still shrouded in mystery, even after TFA. You might be able to interpret stuff this way or that, but it's left deliberatly unresolved.

I can answer that:
Finn. He doesn't have a last name. He doesn't even have a first name, as "Finn" is what Poe Dameron decides to call him upon hearing Boyega's character only goes by the designation FN2187.
As for Rey, here last name (and lineage) is still shrouded in mystery, even after TFA. You might be able to interpret stuff this way or that, but it's left deliberatly unresolved.
Phooey about the Rey news, I was looking forward to that. Funny on Finn's designation, 2187 was the cell Princess Leia was held in on the Death Star. Little easter egg. Any 1138 references?

OK, WTF happened to Solo and Leia"s relationship? For that matter WTF happened to Han?

Why is Solo, former General of the alliance and main man of PRINCESS Leia doing a lame freighter thing?
Did the character regress?

Why did those two's son turn into an evil kook? Was that not easily preventable with knowledge that Luke
easily would have warned about? Dear gawd what happened to their I assume marriage and raising that kid?
Did Solo run out and be a dead beat dad?
If this happens so damn much stop with the Force nonsense. Odds of turning to the darkside
are like off the charts! LOL Half the time you end up with a Galactic Hitler. Why does everyone think huge obvious things that clearly happened a few decades ago
are not true as what to them is basically the who and why to us of WWII. Hell not even that long ago in this movie.

Is it true? Did we really drop an atom bomb on Japan?
Yes! the legends are true!

Now I've slept on it, a few more little niggles

When she finds Luke it looks like she's in Yorkshire on a ramble

Though an incredible location, it was so familiar in look I was waiting for her to be passed by a couple in bright cagoul's carrying a flask and sandwiches

Though not really a gripe it was a little distracting, that's when I think cgi would've been good to add a little unfamiliar to the familiar or to take the ee by ek out of it

I now it was Skeleg but I didn't want to feel they were in the UK?

I guess for those that live in San Fran
You may have had a similar thing when they were on endor

Saving you from any Irish backlash - Skelligs are off the south-west coast of ROI (can't remember if it's the Kerry or Bear peninsula and Google is too far :p )

Having said that, I felt exactly the same. Literally as soon as the camera swooped round I was like "OK, so that's the Skelligs..."

Solo explains the whole thing in the film.

Han and Liea got married, they had Ben, Ben went to Luke's academy, flipped out, killed the rest of the students, Luke left never to return, Leia buried herself in the work of the rebellion, and Han buried himself in the only work he felt he was ever good at, smuggling.

They said in actual dialogue, they thought the boy had too much Vader in him, that is what they thought sending him to the academy would sort out.

None of them handled it very well, but that is probably more realistic than we are used to seeing in a star wars movie, when most things can be fixed with a one liner, and shooting someone in the chest.

Nothing in life can prepare you for being a parent, and not everyone makes a good job of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and the japan thing?

There are countless films and documentaries about the war, keeping it alive, only Luke know what really happened on the death star, most people in the galaxy would probably never see a Jedi or a Sith.

Considering the views and photographs I've seen from Skellig what they did with the location was a bit underwhelming. Given what they could have done with that last scene, to judge from some peoples reactions , it will NOT at all be well received by a lot of the older audience anyway. I get what you say about it feeling like "Countryfile" but the shots in Puzzlewood did succeed rather well (and I know that place because I've lived near it and have been there a couple of times). And the entire pine forest set piece worked incredibly well ( again apart from that coincidentally convenient earth shattering moment at the end ). I think Skellig need a few alien lifeforms flying around and slightly different lighting, otherwise it looks (looked) like a fan made effort.
But I cannot for the life of me see how they say they managed to spend $200 million on this film. It doesn't feel like that.

Last edited:
There were some very big sets built full sized.

I have just realised something that is going to make that end scene even more annoying than it already is.

When episode VIII comes out, its going to be three years later in movie time as well as our time, we are never going to get to know how that first conversation went.

I saw this this morning. I left having enjoyed it overall, but slightly disappointed at how derivative the whole film had been. Giant superweapon to destroy before it destroys the Resistance? Check. Funky little cantina place? Check. Droid with important knowledge escaping from a desert planet with a couple of people who turn out to be really important? Check.

Certain aspects of the story felt very rushed and consequently lacked any real emotional weight. The death that everyone is talking about needed to come in the next film, not this one, but I suspect the actor came back with the demand that he only be asked to do one film.

Most disappointingly to me, I'm not sure it really felt like Star Wars. I don't know how or why that could even happen given how much of ANH was in there, but there it is. I can't put my finger on what it was either, which is really bugging me. I will probably take a second viewing, but I can't see myself going to see it more than twice at the theatre.

There were some very big sets built full sized.

I have just realised something that is going to make that end scene even more annoying than it already is.

When episode VIII comes out, its going to be three years later in movie time as well as our time, we are never going to get to know how that first conversation went.

I'm not sure I have seen anything confirmed that Ep. VIII is going to be in real time or not.

Here is your Star Wars Spoiler

7xc3hat.jpg

Actually the major reviews for TPM were pretty middling. And TPM currently sits at 55% Rotten. TFA still at 95% this morning. That's not fanboys, that's critics.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-review-752675

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/r...enace-19990519

http://www.nytimes.com/movie/review?...56C0A96F958260

And when it first came out it was in the low 80%- and recently was sitting in the low 60s. I'm sure there are reviews that have been added since the new SW film was on the way. [Addendum: there have been several review added since Nov 15, 2015 driving the score down]

See what a difference the fading away of the hype machine makes? I remember how people raved about Avatar too...

AAAANNNNND... Now that Into Darkness is no longer under the influence of the hype machine (which with it's RT score, you insisted proved how good a movie it was) Even Abrams admits it wasn't that great!

http://www.polygon.com/2015/12/17/10411730/star-trek-into-darkness-jj-abrams-frustration

Experience has proven to me that JJ is a hack, RT is inaccurate, and put more stock in a movies detractors, than it's fans.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back