Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

Fixed that for you.

If you have no interest in seeing a film because it's not a genre that your interested in then I understand, but boycotting a movie based on scraps of information and imagery is very narrow minded IMO.

What happened to reserving judgement until you have seen the movie? I imagine a court room drama based on your rationale:-

Judge: Has the jury reached a verdict?
Jury: we have your honor
Judge: what say you?
Jury: Based on the thin circumstantial evidence and the biased witness testimony we find the defendant guilty of first degree murder with the death penalty applied on no chance of reprieve. Ever.

Thats a fair enough reply bud :) I was going by what a friend who has seen it told me which came after reading online reviews/spoilers. So many are saying that it isnt living up to the hype, although i know more are saying it is brilliant.

The death is very dissapointing.

Thats a fair enough reply bud :) I was going by what a friend who has seen it told me which came after reading online reviews/spoilers. So many are saying that it isnt living up to the hype, although i know more are saying it is brilliant.

The death is very dissapointing.

How so? As in you are dissapointed the character died or that narratively the death had no weight?

They should have used actual models. :) The starship action was uninteresting and to my eye looked dumb. Maybe it wasn't the cgi, maybe it was bad storyboarding (probably) all I know is that it doesn't compare to Jedi.

Otherwise it was mostly just dumb. (see starcrusher/deathstar 3 and the ridiculous family history of the skywalkers/solos) The PT was badly executed but atleast it had a story to tell while this was on par with the worst EU.

Somethings were nice though

+ The new main trio worked very well. Especially John Boyega was really good and made some scenes feel as tongue in cheek as in ANH.
+ Anakin's lightsabre got a lot of screen time.
+ The first half hour was very promising. The story felt good, the background story felt ok, and then the Millenium Falcon entered in the best way possible.
+ The crashed star destroyer was really nice.

Last edited:
How so? As in you are dissapointed the character died or that narratively the death had no weight?

To me it narratively had no weight at all. There was no build up for this scene at all. What was the motive?; I wanna be darkside let's act psychopathic? It just felt like the actor didn't want to be in the next one.

"Exhilarating, if highly derivative...an enjoyable throwback that is largely content to replicate its models rather than taking the narrative in any significantly new direction."

We need a new term.
Rebooquel

Abrams can't just rebooquel Empire Srikes Back next time right? Or can he?
Would anyone care if he did? I doubt it.

"Exhilarating, if highly derivative...an enjoyable throwback that is largely content to replicate its models rather than taking the narrative in any significantly new direction."

We need a new term.
Rebooquel

Abrams can't just rebooquel Empire Srikes Back next time right? Or can he?
Would anyone care if he did? I doubt it.

Well, he's not making the next one, so...
Of course this film leans heavily on nostalgia. After the PT, SW needs to get back to the familiar in order to re-launch the franchise to afford it the opportunity to spread its wings. If they had taken too many risks with this it could have been a disaster. As it is, it sets up a bright future.

97% on Rotten Tomatoes is amazing and tells a very different story then what some of you are saying.

Well, he's not making the next one, so...
Of course this film leans heavily on nostalgia. After the PT, SW needs to get back to the familiar in order to re-launch the franchise to afford it the opportunity to spread its wings. If they had taken too many risks with this it could have been a disaster. As it is, it sets up a bright future.

97% on Rotten Tomatoes is amazing and tells a very different story then what some of you are saying.

It's not a different story than what I've said. I have said it will make a fortune all along. The film however is clearly the same story with a little mix n match. Can't argue against that rating. Abrams is master of using other's creations and creating mass appeal crowd pleasers.
Everyone but the most jaded will enjoy the return of Star Wars, and it's clearly the return of Star Wars as in, he made it again.

It's not a different story than what I've said. The film however is clearly the same story with a little mix n match.
Can't argue against that rating. Abrams is master of using other's creations and creating mass appeal crowd pleasers.

The call backs are being acknowledge but very few are knocking it as a detriment to the story or as dismissing it has a reboot.

The call backs are being acknowledge but very few are knocking it as a detriment to the story or as dismissing it has a reboot.

Few will I'm sure. The first film was amazing. Mirroring it was very safe thing to do.
Clearly this film is dearly what Star Wars fans ached for and desired based on reviews.

Just saw this at a midnight screening in Hong Kong in a 3D 4X screening so the seats were swivelling and vibrating, air and wind was blasted at me, smoke, smells and water sprays too so I've had quite a different experience watching it, super immersive. Although I'll probably go see it again in a regular screening.
I like it a lot overall, as has been said before it has pretty similar plot points to A New Hope but it's quite the charming movie. It was just really nice to return to the Star Wars universe like catching up with old friends. It's a nice set up and I'm really eager to see what happens next now.

Oh and I don't know if I missed it or not but I seriously don't remember the part from trailer 1 where Kylo Ren ignites his lightsabre in the snowy forest. Getting to be a bit of a habit these days with stuff being in the trailer getting cut from the final film.

Last edited:
Whether i like it or not, my lad came home from school today asking if we are going
icon_surprised.gif
he has been mad on Marvel for the past few months but Star Wars has been the talk of the school playground this week. Whether i like if or not, i have to take him. I said i wouldnt be going but i cant let him down....even with what i said a few posts back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cashed in my 2D ticket for tonight instead of seeing it a second time. I think I may be coming down with a cold, so right now I do actually value sleep higher... It is not as if I would not be able to see it again in a week or so, and when I do I want my senses to be intact so that I don't miss anything.

Found this below. Is it essentially correct?
There is one word or two that I would change to a synonym to make it more generic, but yes.
There are also more similarities not mentioned.

I just have one question: is "Eisode VII" in the crawl?
No. It is spelled correctly in the crawl. ;)

Oh and I don't know if I missed it or not but I seriously don't remember the part from trailer 1 where Kylo Ren ignites his lightsabre in the snowy forest. Getting to be a bit of a habit these days with stuff being in the trailer getting cut from the final film.
I think that every scene that was in the trailers was in the movie but they felt shorter somehow...

Last edited:
Ok, I lied before, I have another question...is the resistance separate from the New Republic or are they the same?

I only want to know the answer if it's inconsequential to the plot though.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back