Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

Exactly and I too welcome HEALTHY debate and everyone entitled to their own opinion. What I don't agree with,and is my opinion also,is people coming into the thread with "JJ is a hack" " I hate JJ" " The movie is a failure" etc etc and misquoting articles just to bait.:)

Ben

Two of those three quotes are not mine. And I didn't quote the article, mate. Did I put quotes around my statement that he admitted ripping off ANH? No, so don't say I misquoted anything. You may interpret the article differently, but don't accuse me of doing something I didn't do, just because you don't like my stance on the film.

You sure seem to presume to know an awful lot about me and my intentions, given we've never met or even corresponded. Give it a rest.

The Wook

Personally I think JJ is a hack. Or rather, I see him as a "nerd" version of michael bay. He personifies everything I can't stand about these massive modern action movies. Transformers, trek, pirates of the Caribbean, bond, marvel, etc.....

They all seem like they suffer the same problems.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Personally I think JJ is a hack. Or rather, I see him as a "nerd" version of michael bay. He personifies everything I can't stand about these massive modern action movies. Transformers, trek, pirates of the Caribbean, bond, marvel, etc.....

They all seem like they suffer the same problems.

QFT! Modern action movies are pure garbage. There is only one movie made in the last 22 years (since Shawshank) that is an all-time classic: Gladiator.

The Wook

A good rule of thumb is to ask, are you writing about a movie or a fellow poster? Are you disagreeing with their opinion of the movie, or are you just attacking them for having that opinion?

I'll admit I sort of attacked The Wook for his "liberal Hollywood agenda" remark.
But I in no way intended to shut him down, or stifle the conversation.
And when I wrote "you have a right to your opinion, however stupid it may be",
I included a ******-eating grin emoticon to reinforce the fact that I was joking.
I hope The Wook interpreted it as such, because it's not my intention to belittle anyone in this community.
I talk to you guys like I would talk to my real-world friends.
However mad I might get, you're still my friends.

The Wook is venting his anger. Just let him do it.
Is he saying some stupid stuff? Sure - but who doesn't when they're angry?
I remember The Wook from way back in the EZ-Board days.
If he was a jerk, he wouldn't be here now.
He's cool - just relax, everyone.
Try to be understanding.

And I know you weren't singling me out, @AJTaliesen, but I'm drinking, so... Cheers! :cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I definitely was NOT singling you out. Anyone else for that matter. I freely admit that I've been guilty of it too and was talking as much to myself. It happens. We're discussing things we care about and sometimes get passionate.

it was more just a general "let's all take a breath and remember we're all from the same nerd universe" comment.

Two of those three quotes are not mine. And I didn't quote the article, mate. Did I put quotes around my statement that he admitted ripping off ANH? No, so don't say I misquoted anything. You may interpret the article differently, but don't accuse me of doing something I didn't do, just because you don't like my stance on the film.

You sure seem to presume to know an awful lot about me and my intentions, given we've never met or even corresponded. Give it a rest.

The Wook

Dude I didn't mention you in my post. One quote is yours and there's been others with other people.Settle down.

I'll admit I sort of attacked @The Wook for his "liberal Hollywood agenda" remark.
But I in no way intended to shut him down, or stifle the conversation.
And when I wrote "you have a right to your opinion, however stupid it may be",
I included a ******-eating grin emoticon to reinforce the fact that I was joking.
I hope The Wook interpreted it as such, because it's not my intention to belittle anyone in this community.
I talk to you guys like I would talk to my real-world friends.
However mad I might get, you're still my friends.

The Wook is venting his anger. Just let him do it.
Is he saying some stupid stuff? Sure - but who doesn't when they're angry?
I remember The Wook from way back in the EZ-Board days.
If he was a jerk, he wouldn't be here now.
He's cool - just relax, everyone.
Try to be understanding.

And I know you weren't singling me out, @AJTaliesen, but I'm drinking, so... Cheers! :cheers

I took it just as you intended it--with a grin. Even without the emoticon, the tone of your post was civil and tolerant. Many of the other folks who jumped on me were not received so well--their words were dripping with venom. The difference is night and day.

The Wook

Ok I dont want this to devolve any further so for my part if I don't like something or disagree with somebodys opinion then I just won't respond. We are all here for the same reason. We're all geeks @TheWook sorry if I came across the wrong way. I don't know you or some others that I've quoted but I'm sure your a nice guy. ;)

Ben

- - - Updated - - -

Ok I dont want this to devolve any further so for my part if I don't like something or disagree with somebodys opinion then I just won't respond. We are all here for the same reason. We're all geeks @TheWook sorry if I came across the wrong way. I don't know you or some others that I've quoted but I'm sure your a nice guy. ;)

Ben

I loved the prequels. I'm used to the abuse. However, I know my gripes with TFA are perfectly valid.

Your not serious.

Lol just kidding. ;)I don't so much love the prequels. There's parts I do love but I do like them for what they are and I would never take back the times they came out because damn those were great days of excitement and buildup and just general Star Wars hype that was just great to be around. :)

Ben

Ok I dont want this to devolve any further so for my part if I don't like something or disagree with somebodys opinion then I just won't respond.

This is a forum.
Don't censor yourself.
You have more of a right to express your opinion than others have to shut you down with "your opinion offends me".

Colin sounds like he will do a good job on EPIX. He seems to care about the franchise as a whole.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-director-of-star-wars-episode-ix-is-already-droppin-1752590073

By the time we get to Episode IX, I look at that movie as one movie, as three movies, as six movies, and as nine movies. It’s something that needs to honor a story that has been told over a period of 40 years… Star Wars is a belief system, it’s not just a story and it’s not just a movie, and it’s something I take very seriously.

Yes, its a great time to be a Star Wars fan, what ever film floats your boat (or sinks it I guess). I would imagine we should now get six movies to go with the PT and OT at the very least. Which will be happy news for most of us.

Incidentally much has been made about Chewie walking past Leia after Han has died and not giving her a hug.
Isn't it possible that he doesn't want to because;

(a) He doesn't want to be the first to tell her her son killed his father (even in Wookie).
(b) And then tell her he actually had a good old go at killing her son in return by shooting him in the gut.
(c) Or thought I'll let the girl explain whilst I go and patch myself up and then I'm out of here, that little git can be Lukes problem, once we find him!!!!

All that kind of stuff tends to upset mothers, particularly Force sensitive ones. I'd say he made the right call.

Yes, its a great time to be a Star Wars fan, what ever film floats your boat (or sinks it I guess). I would imagine we should now get six movies to go with the PT and OT at the very least. Which will be happy news for most of us.

Incidentally much has been made about Chewie walking past Leia after Han has died and not giving her a hug.
Isn't it possible that he doesn't want to because;

(a) He doesn't want to be the first to tell her her son killed his father (even in Wookie).
(b) And then tell her he actually had a good old go at killing her son in return by shooting him in the gut.
(c) Or thought I'll let the girl explain whilst I go and patch myself up and then I'm out of here, that little ****** can be Lukes problem, once we find him!!!!

All that kind of stuff tends to upset mothers, particularly Force sensitive ones. I'd say he made the right call.
None of this is an excuse. Whatever the reason, we needed to see it. It's a big middle finger to the fans of "ESB" and the powerful bond that was formed between Chewie and Leia. It was just sloppily handled. These aren't the characters I saw in the OT.

It spoke to the entire movie for me. Slick on the surface and not much going on any deeper than that.

Interesting. I tailored my last couple of posts to replicate the tone used by certain people here to elicit a stronger emotional response. You can see there is a clear distinction between posting a reply designed to add objectively to an argument and one deliberately designed to antagonise people deconstructively .

TESB is a brilliant piece of cinema and by far my personal preference. But thirty odd years have passed in that and this universe and relationships change believe me. I unfortunately have had far too many people I've known over the last four decades separate and divorce , couples whom I really liked equally but all to often you have to make a choice. Who do you stick with? Where does the blame lie? Can you be fair about it and still remain friends with both. I can remember attending a funeral of a good friend of mine who died far too early and who had separated from his wife a few years back. I liked them both equally, but stuck with my friend, we had more in common (like SW and 2000 AD) and blokes tend to do that. I had a very hard time balancing how I approached her that day ,knowing exactly what had happened. I guess this thread is turning into that, those that want a divorce from the film, those that just want to be reasonable and those that are having to choose a side because the unreasonable behaviour is making it difficult to maintain a fair relationship.
If you read my first post in this thread you see I had more than my fair share of faults with it. It was a "B" from me, an overall good return with some very positive choices and thrilling moments but with some significant flaws. I actually was only going to catch it the once before DVD, BUT some of the comments here just seemed wrong to me, whilst others had made some excellent observations that I thought would help me when I rewatched for a second time. And a lot of people were dead right. I'd simply missed what was said or overlooked something ,but others had picked it up. So with the benefit of their analysis I went back and watched it again and had a far better time with it. Its still not brilliant, the freighter scene still annoys me ,particularly the monsters ,as does the 3rd DS attack, and the Falcon gets far too much abuse for my tastes BUT the rest of it feels like a better fit. Oddly both Snoke and Maz ,a couple of effects shots and the soundtrack seem to have been "upgraded". I don't know if that's was due to a fault with the cinema originally or something was done elsewhere , but I enjoyed it a lot more than the first time I saw it.
I'm not making excuses for it, just observations. Leia seemed totally focused on Rey ( who is first off the ship and looked in desperate need of some motherly comfort ) when they land and because we really don't know what relationship she is to Leia, other than she now has a very powerful force component active I didn't feel Leia snubbed Chewie, but was directing herself towards the person she felt needed her more. Chewie trudge by and perhaps they both avoided the moment because it was so painful to them. People (and Wookies) grieve differently. As a fault with the film for me it was unimportant, certainly in comparison to all else that had happened. But you'll take what you want to because that's what you feel. Second time around I felt differently about it and a few other scenes.
A better way to handle it WOULD have been for Leia to look up at Chewie from Reys embrace and raise a hand and exchange a look between her and him before looking away in pain again, that would have been enough for me, but I didn't direct it. JJ choose to focus on Rey and Leia for a reason. I'll have to wait for the next film to understand that.
Anyway I'm going to skip this thread for a while. I meant to earlier but seeing it a second time encouraged me to share some observations I made. The way the current quality of this thread is deteriorating is reducing its benefit to me, at least until such time as I watch the blu ray again or read "The making of " book, I can't add anything more helpful. A lot of people here have added to my enjoyment of the film by what they have seen and said, but others , just like Kylo Ren, just keep slashing away at it in frustration and anger. Anyway there are a lot more great films coming out this year hope you find something you like.

Last edited:
The Prequels did not feel ambitious to me, except technically. What aspects felt like a new story to you? Not argumentative. Genuinely curious.

I liked that they weren't action movies. They were bold fantasy movies that were definitely from a guy, not a studio.

Sure, they were boring. But so was the dark crystal and star trek: TMP. So is opera (my day job is being a technical director for opera) I've sat through a lot of long boring operas that were still masterpieces.

But on the other end, it wasn't just technical aspects that were ambitious. It was the scope. We're talking full fledged space opera. There is literally nothing like the prequels.

Whereas TFA has some flaws. I can except that. But even the flaws are unoriginal. They're the same ones that plague so many modern action movies. The same ones that we see in Nutrek, transformers, etc.

With the prequels, even their flaws stand on their own

Plus, there was no macguffin or superweapon . It was a story about the people who lived in that galaxy

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back