Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

Point of Information: Freedom of Speech technically applies only to public venues. This site, by virtue of being owned by a private individual and by virtue of requiring that you join to post, is by definition a private venue and technically doesn't fall under that purview. This is why Montagar and Art can ban people for doing or saying the wrong thing. Granted, there is a lot of leeway here, and disagreeing with someone over a movie isn't something that they care about enough to get involved (unless it spirals out of control), but my point still stands.

Was anyone on the View Askew board when that went down? As Kevin Smith said "this is my house, and if i don't like what you're saying I will burn it down" (paraphrasing). And when pushed, he did it.

First of all, I didn't write it in all caps like that, so you're mischaracterizing my post right off the bat. CAPS suggest screaming, and by writing it that way in an attempt to quote me, you're sending the wrong signals to others, that I was trying to shove it in all your faces with such EMPHASIS. But regardless, read this quote by JJ and tell me he's not conceding that he ripped of ANH (which I think is newsworthy, and that's why I posted it here in this thread):

I respect every reaction. I completely see that that is a problem for some people.
It was obviously a wildly intentional thing that we go backwards, in some ways, to go forwards in the important ways, given that this is a genre — that Star Wars is a kind of specific gorgeous concoction of George [Lucas]’s — that combines all sorts of things. Ultimately the structure of Star Wars itself is as classic and tried and true as you can get. It was itself derivative of all of these things that George loved so much, from the most obvious, Flash Gordon and Joseph Campbell, to the [Akira] Kurosawa references, to Westerns — I mean, all of these elements were part of what made Star Wars.
I can understand that someone might say, ‘Oh, it’s a complete rip-off!’ We inherited Star Wars. The story of history repeating itself was, I believe, an obvious and intentional thing, and the structure of meeting a character who comes from a nowhere desert and discovers that she has a power within her, where the bad guys have a weapon that is destructive but that ends up being destroyed — those simple tenets are by far the least important aspects of this movie, and they provide bones that were well-proven long before they were used in Star Wars.

I didnt mean mean caps in that way so sorry for that.But I'm not going to argue that point anymore. Whatever your beef dude I'm sure it's more than just your hate for the movie. It seems your angry that so many like it to me. But whatever dude. I'm all for criticism but certain people want more than just to criticize.

Ben

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, let's be clear your 1st Ammendnent rights don't apply here. You need to be mindful of what you say. This discussion has been fine but to frame this by bringing in political views on the world will likely be poorly received. And I'm a pretty conservative guy but taking pot shots at issues important to women when we have so few women participating in this community is bad form and I will call that our everyday.

In defense of Wook, if someone posted a thread about how awesome ROTJ was, I would be at least as livid posting a response to every compliment with my absolute disdain for every frame of wasted celluloid I believe that film to be. I can't say that, in the process, I might not even step out of line.

I love ROTJ but you can hate it if you want.;)

Ben

Heaven forbid in a free speech society someone gets "out of
line".March on political correctness. Let's not really have a real discussions in the fear I get branded. I should just zip it.

Someone once pointed out political correctness is just a way to say I don't agree with you so you better shut the f~$k up.

[emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

So what they are saying is , they don't agree with you shut the f*+# up !!!

Also saying politically correct is not politically correct anymore! It upsets everyone now public or private forum.

just think

How would I explain this to a child?
Anything more will get you in trouble !

Uh oh I said too much I'm sure !

I'm Probably in trouble .

Thank you, Axlotl. You are right. My wish was merely to vent about my disgust with the film. Not to troll those who like it. Heck, I wasn't even trying to convince people to see it my way. But my expressed opinions drew some nasty responses, asking me to leave the thread, calling me a misogynist, a sexist, etc. So I engaged my attackers. But then I got piled onto, because I'm clearly outnumbered in this thread. I thought Bryancd and everyone strongly wanted ALL comments, positive or negative, in this master thread. But that isn't true. No dissenters allowed, here.
I'll agree with you that some folks don't want anything remotely negative in this thread - some seem to take it deeply personal if someone has any sort of critique about TFA. It can be very frustrating when people take that kind of attitude. This is a Star Wars: The Force Awakens thread, but the discussion seems to lost when it comes to the film's weaknesses. I love TFA - but, there are many things about it that I do take issue with. I can understand some of the issues folks have with it and can agree with many of them - but, generally discussing those here doesn't get too far.

However, while I can sympathize your initial plight - you lost all credibility in my book with your comments about Rey and the "Hollywood's liberal agenda." That's inane rhetoric - and frankly, you deserve to be called a sexist, misogynist and worse.

Whatever the conspiracy or political agenda people think is there I really don't care.Ive never understood why you can't have Male/Female Black/White protagonists.A great character is a great character no matter who they are and Rey is awesome and I'm glad she's the main protagonist. Couldn't be happier myself.Too strong too soon? Hogwash,Luke blew up the Death Star with the force after only knowing about it for a couple of hours. :)

Ben

One other thing. Seeing it quoted in JJ's interview reminded me. All the people griping about this just being another blow-up-the-Death-Star story missed a point I caught on first viewing, and saw even more on each subsequent. Not to take away from Poe and the other pilots, but the destruction of Starkiller Base was, while necessary for this stage of the story, incidental. A backdrop. In ANH (and TPM), the big bad space station/ship got blown up and they had a party to celebrate. In TFA, the big bad maguffin is destroyed, but it's in service to the actual climax of the film, which is Han sacrificing himself to try to bring his son back, Finn sacrificing himself to protect his new "family", all leading to Rey taking up the gauntlet she rejected earlier when she first found the lightsaber, and beginning to come into her own.

Unlike in the other films where the Hero has a ticking bomb to beat to the punch to save the day, in this case the ticking bomb forces the Hero to step up where she previously ran away.

To say it's just about blowing up another Death Star is to seriously miss the point. Could it have been presented better? Absolutely. But it still manages to come across. I can forgive the issues in the story's presentation due to the sheer amount of material they had to try to cram into only a couple hours of run time. Episode VII is something that should have been gotten to quite some years ago, had George not gotten artists' ADD and wanted to do other things, like Howard the Duck. Real-world and in-universe, there's so much that happens in a generation-plus that I'd've said picking up the thread again after so long would be almost impossible.

In a perfect universe, George would have been able to maintain a working relationship with Gary Kurtz and Marcia and learned to delegate and better communicate his vision to actual writers and actual directors so they could bring him the raw material he wanted, and then he could just live where he always wanted to be -- the editing booth. Then he could have finished out the six Luke Skywalker films by 1992, then gone back and done the six Obi-Wan episodes, and been done with those by 2010. And he could still have done Howard the Duck and WIllow and Red Tails and so forth in between, all without burning out or getting sick of any one property. *shrug* But given his stop-start approach of the last thirty-two years, I don't think we could have gotten anything else.

--Jonah

i think you are failing to see the meaning and context of what he is saying. I and others have posted why Disney felt they needed to ground this film in the OT era by creating familiar elements. As someone who analysis business decisions for a living, I can't stress enough how important that call was. This film HAD to succeed, financially, critically, and for the fan base. It has, and those are facts despite your efforts to frame that reality differently. If this film had not resonated so well with people, as Dan also said, this whole franchise would have been in jeaporday. If you are really a fan and want to see a future filled with new SW stories, this film and outcome is exactly what you want.

Oh I get the business angle of it. And there's no denying it's a commercial mega-hit. But they played it waaaaaaaaay too safe, in making it waaaaaaaaay too derivative (a nicer word for ripoff). I'd be kinda okay if they'd made a good derivative film, but it stinks. It stinks from top to bottom...with just a handful of pearls in between: Daisy (not Rey's absurd powers, but Daisy's performance), BB8, Finn (although his humor bordered on being too much), Chewie getting up to play Dejarik, Luke was awesome at the end (he looks totally badass), I loved the "That was Lucky!" line as well as the "Stop holding my hand!" lines (see I told you I like girl power!), Kylo's fits of rage, the lightsaber duel choreography looked old school like the weapons were heavy instead of twirling batons, the TIE fighters flying towards us with the sun behind them, 3PO stepping between Han & Leia was funny, the laser blast halted in mid-flight was cool and novel...I really can't think of anything or anyone else that was good, and I've seen the movie twice.

The filmmakers could've accomplished everything you listed that they needed to accomplish and turned out a better, a MUCH better derivative to reboquel the series.

The Wook

I loved this movie. I've seen it twice and I'll be buying it the day it comes out and watching it many more times. It DOES have some major plot holes, no matter how much some will put their fingers in their ears and scream "lalalala", it really does. But I liked it anyway.

but a few things:

this is is a movie discussion forum and they intentionally combined the negative with the positive into one thread. If, for whatever reason you simply can't handle the idea that someone didn't love every single frame of the chosen film, go elsewhere. You're not ready for the Internet. Seriously, only pain awaits you. Don't get upset, this advice will serve you well.

the Wook is wrong about Rey. Rey is awesome and played very well by Daisy Ridley. Having said that, questioning the motivation of a room full of rich white men does not make you mysoginist. It doesn't. That's nonsense. it means he interpreted their intentions in writing a female lead differently, and in my opinion incorrectly. Unbunch the panties. If we can't speculate on movie makers motivations than this whole place is a waste of time.

and, because this one apparently needs repeating: as I said, I loved this movie. It's great. It's also not the holy chosen film penned by the inky finger of God and immune to all criticism. Even though we liked it, the fact that some didn't doesn't make them bad people. It really doesn't. And it's actually been established that this really IS the correct place for them to articulate that criticism. Even if we don't agree with it, shocking as that may seem.

this is is a movie discussion forum and they intentionally combined the negative with the positive into one thread. If, for whatever reason you simply can't handle the idea that someone didn't love every single frame of the chosen film, go elsewhere. You're not ready for the Internet. Seriously, only pain awaits you. Don't get upset, this advice will serve you well.

The Wook questioning the motivation of a room full of rich white men does not make you mysoginist. It doesn't. That's nonsense. it means he interpreted their intentions in writing a female lead differently, and in my opinion incorrectly. Unbunch the panties. If we can't speculate on movie makers motivations than this whole place is a waste of time.

Even though we liked it, the fact that some didn't doesn't make them bad people. It really doesn't. And it's actually been established that this really IS the correct place for them to articulate that criticism. Even if we don't agree with it, shocking as that may seem.

A voice of reason, and tolerance.

The Wook

It's the pot calling the kettle black. I see it as the few haters can't handle the fact that so many love it.

Ben

Something else to consider on both sides of the debate: You are more than welcome to have your opinion on this movie and share that opinion here. That is the purpose of this thread. However, this comes with a price. Someone else is allowed to have their own, differing opinion and share it here as well. Neither voice is right or wrong (except if they intentionally or unintentionally misrepresent undisputable facts). That's the purpose of an opinion: to allow one to believe as they will so long as that opinion does not contradict fact. Now, those two differing opinions may get into a debate, and that's to be expected, but casually dismissing someone's opinion because it doesn't agree with your own is the height of arrogance.

On my end, I may not agree with your opinion in the slightest and might even debate you about it, but so long as it doesn't contradict the facts, I will ALWAYS respect your right to have that opinion and I expect the same consideration in turn.

You! No, you! No, you! No you! No, you!

like written Ping pong. Kinda fun in it's own right isn't it?

A good rule of thumb is to ask, are you writing about a movie or a fellow poster? Are you disagreeing with their opinion of the movie, or are you just attacking them for having that opinion?

because there really is a difference.

A good rule of thumb is to ask, are you writing about a movie or a fellow poster? Are you disagreeing with their opinion of the movie, or are you just attacking them for having that opinion?

because there really is a difference.

And that is why ad hominem attacks are not allowed on the site. It should be common sense.

Hey, love the avatar, btw!!

The Wook

Something else to consider on both sides of the debate: You are more than welcome to have your opinion on this movie and share that opinion here. That is the purpose of this thread. However, this comes with a price. Someone else is allowed to have their own, differing opinion and share it here as well. Neither voice is right or wrong (except if they intentionally or unintentionally misrepresent undisputable facts). That's the purpose of an opinion: to allow one to believe as they will so long as that opinion does not contradict fact. Now, those two differing opinions may get into a debate, and that's to be expected, but casually dismissing someone's opinion because it doesn't agree with your own is the height of arrogance.

On my end, I may not agree with your opinion in the slightest and might even debate you about it, but so long as it doesn't contradict the facts, I will ALWAYS respect your right to have that opinion and I expect the same consideration in turn.

Exactly and I too welcome HEALTHY debate and everyone entitled to their own opinion. What I don't agree with,and is my opinion also,is people coming into the thread with "JJ is a hack" " I hate JJ" " The movie is a failure" etc etc and misquoting articles just to bait.:)

Ben

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back