Subscribe
    Jan 24, 2016, 4:19 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release) #3151

Solo4114 said: View Post

So, I don't think they're explicitly "overruling" or "retconning" the PT so much as they're expanding beyond its confines. You could argue that the PT prophecy where Anakin destroys the Sith ends up being accurate. He does destroy the Sith by killing Palpatine and then dying on his own. (Unfortunately, he also killed the Jedi, because there's no equivalent of Tyrion Lannister in the Star Wars universe to warn people about how prophecy kicks like a mule...)

After that, we have new Jedi of sorts, and the Knights of Ren, and whatever else may follow.
    Which is fine, and could have been more dynamic than the PT, IF they do that.

But what you're suggesting is that they are different, which again, could be good.

Unfortunately, that's not what they've been showing. With Hans death they are explicitly showing the new "bad guy" version to be strait up evil. Sith with a different name.

Which, IF that's so, does retcon the PT, since they had absolutely no reason to assume Maul and Siduous were Sith, if other options are available. It also throws a wrench at RotJ, since we've already been asked to accept that becoming one is a direct result of being dark side. (The entire scene of the Emperor trying to bring out Luke's anger, even if its at him... Not to mention Vaders belief that it's too late, regardless of personal desire, as it's not something you call yourself, it's something you are as a direct result of being dark side).

Again... I'm ok with either... Make them fundamentally different: cool! Or make it just a name of an organization rather than an adjective, scrapping some of what happened in TPM: also cool!

Both together doesn't really work though. Not even if we really reeeeeeeeaaaaaaach for It.

And ultimately, the most logical option available is to stop being stubborn about it and have Ren eventually come to terms with the fact that they ARE a continuation of Sith ... Which frankly he pretty much says flat out that that's what he wants anyway.
    Jan 24, 2016, 5:11 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release) #3152

From
    yuma AZ
    Jan 24, 2016, 5:59 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release) #3153

Bryancd said: View Post
    Maybe this franchise just isn't for you.
    Maybe I just don't have to Get the same thing out of it as you !!!!

As long as we are fine with rubbing peoples faces in it ( which I expect) then giving them a kick to keep them down ( the part I don't expect or appreciate)

One
    you predicted Hans death yourself early on and the argued the point with me later . why?

And two.
    I want to ask you a question that I have kept to myself in attempt to stay respectful .

Didn't you post you were a stock broker who had millions of dollars in his control and highly recommended Disney stocks at one point ?

I could not find the post when I looked through your predictions as you requested but assumed you had deleted it because you realized it sounded arrogant and this was not the place to give stock tips. ( or I just did not see it as there are literally hundreds of pages).

But when I brought up the fact star wars was only helping the massive drop in Disney stock price but not stopping it. you were the only one to respond leading me to believe I remembered correctly.

If not then whoever posted that needs to follow your sage like advice .

Maybe stock broker is not the career for them there blind belief that TFA would cause Disney stocks to rise despite it only being a tiny part of there vast holdings must have cost there clients a ton of money !

See I can be an arrogant so and so too !
    From
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Jan 24, 2016, 6:05 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release) #3154

You're not particularly good at it, though. No Disney is up from the 60's to mid '90's. They hit $120 but concerns over subscriber growth at ESPN due to cord cutting has been problematic. Star Wars as a franchise value though has been proven by TFA. New films, theme park attractions, other media, all will be net positives to their earnings going forward after the success of TFA.
    Last edited by Bryancd; Jan 24, 2016 at 6:11 PM.
    From
    yuma AZ
    Jan 24, 2016, 6:09 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release) #3155

You're not particularly good at it, though.
    I don't want to be .
    From
    yuma AZ
    Jan 24, 2016, 6:27 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release) #3156

You're not particularly good at it, though. No Disney is up from the 60's to mid '90's. They hit $120 but
    concerns over subscriber growth at ESPN due to cord cutting has been problematic. Star Wars as a franchise value though has been proven by TFA. New films, theme park attractions, other media, all will be net positives to their earnings going forward after the success of TFA.
    I agree getting in in the 60's would have been a good idea . and for long term holdings it probably won't hurt .
    unless they decide to break up the super corporations like they did last time company's grew this powerful .

But in the last year it is down
    And the ol' Axum of buy low sell high works better than buy high and hope it goes higher .🏰:-$
    Last edited by annanake; Jan 24, 2016 at 6:37 PM.
    From
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Jan 24, 2016, 6:37 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release) #3157

The S&P 500 was down almost 10% year to date at one point. When you have to sell, you sell your winners too. If you would like to know more call my office 480-443-5725. It's too much to explain and this isn't the venue.
    From
    yuma AZ
    Jan 24, 2016, 7:06 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release) #3158

The S&P 500 was down almost 10% year to date at one point.
    When you have to sell, you sell your winners too. If you would like to know more call my office 480-443-5725. It's too much to explain and this isn't the venue.
    I agree it is not which is why I did not bring up the post earlier.
    thanks for the invite as well but I'm doing fine.

While I enjoying the excuses about Disneys short term drop why did you disagree with me about Han yet when I look at your early predictions you totally called it ?

Plus still have not heard anything that makes me believe the whole Plagueis thing is impossible . after hundreds of years of following that ancient hokey religion he could decide to try his own thing.
    Or Kylo's completed training brings him into the Sith order .
    Or neo Sith I guess 👌
    And if you rermermber my whole point was not that he IS ( although I think I talked myself into it) but that it was not impossible like some keep touting .
    Last edited by annanake; Jan 24, 2016 at 7:31 PM.
    Jan 24, 2016, 7:15 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release) #3159

Did I hear Poe call the stormtroopers "Ducks"?
    From
    yuma AZ
    Jan 24, 2016, 7:36 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release) #3160

And if you stop quoting my and the like I will disappear into obscurity for a year or more because I have said my piece and nothing will be known until then anyway.
    i also have no real opinion about Rogue other than I hope it is a good flick .

And you won't have to hear my blatant disregard of your opinions LOL 😉😁😇😈😇😂😀.

P.S. it is not looking good for half price drinks at sonic tomorrow in Arizona .
    From
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Jan 24, 2016, 7:48 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release) #3161

[QUOTE=annanake;3885372]And if you stop quoting my and the like I will disappear into obscurity for a year or more because I have said my piece and nothing will be known until then anyway.
    i also have no real opinion about Rogue other than I hope it is a good flick .

And you won't have to hear my blatant disregard of your opinions LOL .

P.S. it is not looking good for half price drinks at sonic tomorrow in Arizona .[/QUOTE

Brother, that is the truth! We look terrible. Cards getting killed.
    From
    Southern California
    Jan 24, 2016, 8:06 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release) #3162

Wolfsburg said: View Post
    ...The PT introduced the notion of "bringing balance to the Force" and the "chosen one" stuff, which I always thought was stupid because it never made any sense as it was explained. However, I wonder if that could've been intentionally nonsensical. Maybe the Jedi were mistaken and too self absorbed to correctly determine what the prophecy actually entailed. I think that could be where the ST is going with things. The only way there can be balance is to recognize that everyone has a darkside and not banish or ignore it. There can only be balance with equal parts light and dark. Maybe that's what Luke is coming to realize. George had said many years ago the ST would be more philosophical and explore the "shades of gray". Good and evil might not be so black and white.
    The Star Wars franchise has never really been good at explaining what is meant by "balance" with regards to The Force; perhaps intentionally. I'm hoping they'll address this in the subsequent Sequel Trilogy movies and that the characters (or at least Luke) will come to realize "balance" is exactly as you've described it--not equal numbers of Light Side and Dark Side users that create a stalemate in their centuries-old war, but an understanding that true balance is achieved when each individual acknowledges, understands, and controls the "good" and "bad" to create harmony within themselves. Given the nature of the stories told within the Star Wars franchise (in all of it's manifest forms) that seems unlikely at this point, but I believe it would be the only way to truly define "balance".
    Jan 24, 2016, 8:19 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release) #3163

Yes, and now it's interesting that the First Order is doing the exact same thing with their recruits.
    How so? I'm not sure I follow...

annanake said: View Post
    in my opinion the Jedi did not know what the he'll they were talking about most of the time .

The prophecy said the chosen one would balance the force they take it as the ten thousand Jedi defeated the two Sith ????

If it doesn't exist in the archives then it doesn't exist.( opps found it)

If you leave now without completing your training save you're friends you might . but only a fully trained Jedi knight could defeat Vader . ( uh oh weekend warrior Luke Wins)

The list goes on .
    I actually really, really appreciated the authenticity of the clueless Jedi because it follows a common trend with institutionalization.

Quite often a principle that is established and found to be valuable is broken down into a model of practice to make it easier to teach.

But then those that learn the practice, but never comprehend the principles, start to think how you do something is more important than WHY you do it.

If you look around at the largest institutions, that is usually what is wrong with most of it; they mean well, but they got away from their mission and purpose and those that join are not being taught much more than how to be cogs in the machine. This happens in education, business, religion, government etc.

That is exactly what went wrong with the Jedi - they were so caught up in the dogma of how to be Jedi, they lost common sense. Qui-gon was in touch with the Living Force... and they rejected him from the council because of his resistance to their rules.
    From
    yuma AZ
    Jan 24, 2016, 8:24 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release) #3164

[/QUOTE

Brother, that is the truth! We look terrible. Cards getting killed.[/QUOTE]

At least we will have new x files to sooth our souls . afterward . still would not mind a nice cheap frothy strawberry coke tomorrow . lol
    From
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Jan 24, 2016, 8:35 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release) #3165

@Guri the First Order takes children from their families and trains then to be soldiers just like the Jedi did.
    Jan 24, 2016, 8:36 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release) #3166

@Guri the First Order takes children from their families and trains then to be soldiers just like the Jedi did.
    Ah, yes! I wasn't sure what specific part you meant. I remember that now.
    From
    yuma AZ
    Jan 24, 2016, 8:50 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release) #3167

Guri said: View Post

I actually really, really appreciated the authenticity of the clueless Jedi because it follows a common trend with institutionalization.

Quite often a principle that is established and found to be valuable is broken down into a model of practice to make it easier to teach.

But then those that learn the practice, but never comprehend the principles, start to think how you do something is more important than WHY you do it.

If you look around at the largest institutions, that is usually what is wrong with most of it; they mean well, but they got away from their mission and purpose and those that join are not being taught much more than how to be cogs in the machine. This happens in education, business, religion, government etc.

That is exactly what went wrong with the Jedi - they were so caught up in the dogma of how to be Jedi, they lost common sense. Qui-gon was in touch with the Living Force... and they rejected him from the council because of his resistance to their rules.
    That was how I took GL' s writing of them and am saddened that he sold the franchise . even though I enjoy TFA.
    it seems they are heading for a popcorn blockbuster style of movie and while the OT was certainly that it had a rich underbelly and soul to back it up.
    The prequels were just too much politics and quadruple crossing for the masses to follow along with much less enjoy . ( me I'll watch paint dry if there is someone to discuss the environmental effects on its completion lol)

The new trilogy has everything up in the air right now and depending on where things land it will make or break the movies for me personally .( I'll still watch and enjoy them but won't believe they are the best thing since sliced bread)
    I don't mind a rehash of the previous movies and character arch's as long as they don't try to sell me coke while telling me it is R.C. cola .

which is exactly what they would be doing if they just get rid of the Sith for a diffrent brand of villain . looks the same acts the same and most people can't tell the difference with out a marketing team to explain it to them .
    Jan 24, 2016, 8:59 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release) #3168

The prequels were just too much politics and quadruple crossing for the masses to follow along with much less enjoy . ( me I'll watch paint dry if there is someone to discuss the environmental effects on its completion lol)
    Ha! That was my favorite part of the prequels - that and seeing a variety of planets and the wardrobe.

The new trilogy has everything up in the air right now and depending on where things land it will make or break the movies for me personally .( I'll still watch and enjoy them...
    I'm in the same place, actually. I'll make up my own head cannon if I have to in order to enjoy something that is ALMOST good enough. Had to do it with Lost, so I'm prepared...
    From
    yuma AZ
    Jan 24, 2016, 9:24 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release) #3169

Guri said: View Post
    Ha! That was my favorite part of the prequels - that and seeing a variety of planets and the wardrobe.

I'm in the same place, actually. I'll make up my own head cannon if I have to in order to enjoy something that is ALMOST good enough. Had to do it with Lost, so I'm prepared...
    Lol exactly.

What would be hilarious ( in a bad way)is if Plagueis succeeded in returning to life but in his return lost all memory of his past. He just realized he is powerful in the force has plans to build the Starkiller base and finds keys to a star distroyer in his night stand. So just adopted his only known persona which in that case is Snoke .
    Turn it into a threes company episode why not ? Lol
    Then of course they have to travel back in time to change everything in EP. X so as to reboot the franchise while not rebuking the old movies like Star trek and X Men .
    Last edited by annanake; Jan 24, 2016 at 10:04 PM.
    Jan 24, 2016, 10:49 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release) #3170

Then of course they have to travel back in time to change everything in EP. X so as to reboot the franchise while not rebuking the old movies like Star trek and X Men .
    oh... I hope not - mostly because my 17yo would flip a table...
    Jan 24, 2016, 11:16 PM - Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release) #3171

Whatever problems anyone has with this movie it may be important to be grateful that it wasn't a reboot.
    From
    Australia
    Jan 25, 2016, 4:04 AM - Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release) #3172

Lol this is the first time I've enjoyed this thread in awhile. Thanks.

Ben
    From
    Herald, Kalifornia
    Jan 25, 2016, 4:18 AM - Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release) #3173

AJTaliesen said: View Post
    Whatever problems anyone has with this movie it may be important to be grateful that it wasn't a reboot.
    A semi-reboot is exactly what it felt like. It renders the original trilogy pointless, especially "Return of the Jedi". I've made up my mind that from here on out, I can only enjoy these new Star Wars movies for what they are; Disney fan films.
  24. RPF Premium Member DaddyfromNaboo's Avatar
    From
    Germany
    Jan 25, 2016, 4:59 AM - Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release) #3174

PantheraGem said: View Post
    A semi-reboot is exactly what it felt like. It renders the original trilogy pointless, especially "Return of the Jedi". I've made up my mind that from here on out, I can only enjoy these new Star Wars movies for what they are; Disney fan films.
    I do not get why the made the OT "pointless"? The friggin Emperor is dead, the last Sith Lord was redeemed. What did you expect? Galactic peace? Look at the former USSR and what came out of their ashes?
    From
    Herald, Kalifornia
    Jan 25, 2016, 5:00 AM - Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release) #3175

DaddyfromNaboo said: View Post
    I do not get why the made the OT "pointless"? The friggin Emperor is dead, the last Sith Lord was redeemed. What did you expect? Galactic peace? Look at the former USSR and what came out of their ashes?
    Calm down.